Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orr971

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Hello.
I have created an alarm on my iPhone 5 today and set it to repeat itself every Friday (...Friday, gotta wake up on Friday... ;-) ).
Do I need to turn it ON and leave it ON always to have it on every Friday morning or will it turn itself ON when it needs to (I don't know... A few hours/minutes before) wake me up?
Because if it's on, it affects the battery a little and also I'll have this Alarm symbol next to the Battery Percentage...

g0odfr1end102

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Montreal, Canada
Hello.
I have created an alarm on my iPhone 5 today and set it to repeat itself every Friday (...Friday, gotta wake up on Friday... ;-) ).
Do I need to turn it ON and leave it ON always to have it on every Friday morning or will it turn itself ON when it needs to (I don't know... A few hours/minutes before) wake me up?
Because if it's on, it affects the battery a little and also I'll have this Alarm symbol next to the Battery Percentage...

It will ALWAYS be switched "on". I recommend disabling it after waking up, and setting it back to "on" on Thursday evenings, before going to bed, whilst putting it to charge overnight :)

Hope this helped!

orr971

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Yeah I ment I put it on Repeat (there is a repeat function when an Alarm rings and then repeats itself every surtain specific day). I can always turn it on thursday... So what does this function does then? If I put it on repeat does it automatically switch it on?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Setting the alarm shouldn't cause a noticeable drop in your battery. In any case, what the point of setting it to every Friday if you have to remember setting it every Thursday.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Yeah I ment I put it on Repeat (there is a repeat function when an Alarm rings and then repeats itself every surtain specific day). I can always turn it on thursday... So what does this function does then? If I put it on repeat does it automatically switch it on?

When you set the alarm to repeat, the iPhone will assume you're turning the alarm on. You'll see the little clock icon in the top right corner of the status bar. Come Friday, the alarm will go off. When you shut the alarm off (through the pop up notification, by clicking the home button/sleep button or whatever, NOT the Clock.app), you'll still see the clock icon in the corner indicating that the alarm is still on and will repeat again the NEXT Friday.

Personally, repeating alarms didn't work for me on my iPhone 4 and I haven't tried them on my 5, but I'll try them this week and let you know how they work. Regular non-repeating alarms work fine for me, though.

orr971

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Thanks. Bacicly I cant tell what good it makes to make a "repeat" function, if its still up to the user to turn it on and the alarm will stay on. Because I know that sometimes when I sleep and Alarm is ringing and I wanna go back to sleep I shut the Alarm off in the clock app (slide the button to off)... The point of a smartphone is that it will remember to turn it back on, on thursday or a few minutes before, that the alarm will wake me up even if I turned it off and forgot about it......

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Thanks. Bacicly I cant tell what good it makes to make a "repeat" function, if its still up to the user to turn it on and the alarm will stay on. Because I know that sometimes when I sleep and Alarm is ringing and I wanna go back to sleep I shut the Alarm off in the clock app (slide the button to off)... The point of a smartphone is that it will remember to turn it back on, on thursday or a few minutes before, that the alarm will wake me up even if I turned it off and forgot about it......

The point of repeat is so you can set a specific day for the alarm to go off, and it will go off at that time on that day every week, but for the function to work the alarm still needs to be turned on. If it wasn't for the repeat function, the alarm would go off every day at that time, the repeat acts to allow you to specifically set a day for that specific alarm to go off.

poliryh

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2013
Setting the alarm shouldn't cause a noticeable drop in your battery.
17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
It won't affect your battery. I always set alarms and leave them on 24/7 w/ no difference at all.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I've been using my Clock Alarm every weekday and it is really nice. It is just loud enough/or is it a buzz, that I can hear it and it wont wake the baby.

to the OP, what happens when you are off on a Friday and your phone decides to be "smart" and turn itself ON when you had it off?

I don't think I have noticed any slip in Battery Usage...and you can close the Clock App itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.