Web Framework / Scripting Language to Use? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:29 AM   #1
VwTdi09
macrumors newbie

Web Framework / Scripting Language to Use?

I am a firmware programmer by trade but have always had an interest in web programming. I've played around with a bunch of different technologies but wanted to get some opinions.

I'm looking to create a CMS-style web site that can be used as an end-user interface, as well as provide web services for a mobile device app to be able to stay in sync.

I've been looking at Zend Framework but am feeling frustrated with that since all tutorials and examples (or at least the majority of them) are all for ZF1. It seems like a bad idea to invest the time into learning ZF1 when ZF2 is out and supposedly a lot better.

Also, I recently started looking at Django. I have to say, I'm digging the fact that it has scripts to set up your databases for you. Seems like a simpler, quicker way to get my project off the ground.

Does anyone have any experience with either framework, or possibly both? I'm leaning more towards Django at this point but I wanted to make sure there weren't any major pitfalls before I invest too much time in it. Thanks!
VwTdi09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:29 PM   #2
frocco
macrumors 6502

I am in the process of learning Django myself, but on the PHP side, I can recommend Yii (http://www.yiiframework.com)

it has a gii tool to auto gen crud pages (Create, Read, Update, Delete)
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:18 AM   #3
jwm2
macrumors regular

Ruby on Rails. I was in the same situation a short time ago. I learned php and started looking for a framework. Within a very short time I was very confused on which framework to learn and decided if I was going to learn a new framework I might as well learn one that is actively developed and that's why I chose rails. Since then I haven't looked back and even regret not diving into it sooner. From a programmers perspective it's a wet dream come true.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Tags
django, web framework, zend, zf1, zf2