Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
Welcome to this weeks photo contest thread!

THEME: Color: Purple. So, purple is one of my favorite colors. Show me your best images that make use of the color purple.

Rules:

You may only submit one photo per contest.

Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371836246.846055.jpg

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Purple Buttons. Taken with my iPhone 5 and edited with OnOne suit

Attachments

• Small bittons.psd
    1.1 MB · Views: 181
  • Buttons edit.jpg
    Buttons edit.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 220
Last edited:

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
And that wraps it up for this contest. The contest is now closed, I'll try to post the winners sometime tomorrow. Thanks for entering.

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
Thanks for taking on the challenge here, some great entries this week. I'll get my top 3 in for now and issue critiques sometime this weekend.

1st: AlexH
2nd: acearchie
3rd: I just couldn't decide, so it's a tie between Hankster and CrickettGrrrl

Congrats to the winners!

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
I'm honored! Thank you DirtySocks85, and everyone else for their kind words. After giving it a little thought, I'll post the next contest sometimes later tonight.

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
I already posted this in POTD, but it's the most "purple" photo I have.
Sydney Harbour Bridge and Opera House:

[url=http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5464/9060135073_78ac5c611d_c.jpg]Image[/url]
Sydney by Melissa.O.Anderson, on Flickr

I was another one in the camp of those that thought this photo looked best in the moody purple treatment, and I still stand by that with this submission. Lovely skyline, neat perspective with the railing in the foreground.

Lovely water lily there. I work at a zoo and we have a few similar ones and I've been meaning to make my way over to take photos of them, but I always get distracted with the animals. Great composition, vibrant colors. I do however tend to associate "purple" with a more violet hue, this is pushing pink to me.

I've seen you post this photo before and I liked it a lot then as well. It's a technique I've actually put on my list of things to try and replicate. My only criticism would be that I find the orange flower at the bottom to be a bit distracting.

When I first glanced at this shot I wasn't entirely certain that it fit the theme, but the more I looked at it the better of a fit I thought it was. It really does cover a large area of the color spectrum that can be described as purple. I feel almost suffocated by the branches in the foreground, I'm not sure if that was your intention or not, but the whole thing makes me feel trapped.

Lovely soft colors in the purple, with an excellent contrasting point of interest with the orange.

I think I have a good shot.

How did you manage to get so close to the rare cartoon purple hippo? I hear that they can be quite aggressive.

Imprisoned is right, poor flower. I like the shot, and I like how the imprisoned part is demonstrated, but I can't help but feel a bit distracted by the immensity of the background in comparison to the subject. Have you considered a crop of this shot that is just the frame holding the flower?

First, thanks for going somewhere different with this contest. I was expecting a lot of flowers and a few skylines when I posted this contest, and I was pleasantly surprised at just how different this shot was. For "just a shot of a garden hose" it looks refreshing, exciting and inviting. The DOF is spot on to get the point across without being distracting. Very well done!

Very neat plants. I like the color, and the composition makes sense, but the whole thing just seems a bit busy.

Purple Buttons. Taken with my iPhone 5 and edited with OnOne suit

I'd say to leave out the editing next time. Probably would have been a better photo if it had just been left on it's natural background rather than a strange flat purple that clashes with the packaging and does nothing to "sell" the image.

Had a hard time finding something for this theme.

[url=http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6027/5958107833_61317769f8_b.jpg]Image[/url]
DSC_0772 by dspector32, on Flickr

Great composition, cool shapes. Maybe it's just me but it does feel a touch underexposed, maybe try bumping it up a 1/3-1/2 stop or so?

Cool shot, great sense of scale, but I just don't feel like it fits the theme. Yes purple is included, but it's certainly not the "star of the show".

In the Canna stalks.

Wonderful contrast between a colored background and a white subject. Not something you see too often. Very nice deep purple hues, really some great colors in there that I was looking for this week. The whole thing just screams exotic and interesting. Well done.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Imprisoned is right, poor flower. I like the shot, and I like how the imprisoned part is demonstrated, but I can't help but feel a bit distracted by the immensity of the background in comparison to the subject. Have you considered a crop of this shot that is just the frame holding the flower?

DirtySocks85 thank you so much for the thoughtful feedback, I really appreciate it. I had a play with cropping this, but, it lost the imprisoned feel. It's one of those shots that I wish I'd taken with a much shallower DOF/smaller f-stop, so the background wasn't so distracting. It is a very small inner-city front courtyard, looking through fence grating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.