Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:43 PM   #1
arbogast777
macrumors regular

A strange problem with my Mini screen

Noticed something funny while browsing a site - wondered if others' screens do the same thing.

Go to http://www.filmtracks.com/scoreboard...18476&expand=1 and scroll up and down while looking at that blue background on the page. Does anybody notice a shimmer or aliasing on it? My iPad 2 doesn't do that...
arbogast777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:54 PM   #2
brad.c
macrumors 68020

I don't see a shimmer or any other anomoly on either my mini or 2011 high resolution MBP.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:57 PM   #3
arbogast777
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad.c View Post
I don't see a shimmer or any other anomoly on either my mini or 2011 high resolution MBP.
Really? Interesting - I'm sitting here in a dark room and I swear when I scroll up and down it looks like its raining. I wish there was some way to capture it rather than relying on a description...
arbogast777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:49 PM   #4
Ladybug
macrumors 6502a

No, I do not see that. It scrolls and looks normal on my mini.
Ladybug is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:51 PM   #5
RevTEG
macrumors regular

I noticed something wrong with my mini screen too. It's not retina..
RevTEG is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:13 AM   #6
Swarm1424
macrumors newbie

Yep I have it, it's like angled lines while scrolling only in the blue parts. Wth is this all about. Problem number 6 with my mini so far. What's causing this?
Swarm1424 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:24 AM   #7
MacPod
macrumors member

LCDs have a variety of characteristics that affect things like this. It shows up on my mini (and should pretty much show up on everyone's mini as long as they all have the same display manufacturer).

It has to do with the way the LCD's pixels and sub-pixels are driven by the hardware design and electronics.

Assuming it's the same thing I'm seeing, it's absolutely normal. On my mini, the effect is very subtle, but it shows up as diagonal lines that show up in the blue part while the page is scrolling.
MacPod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:36 AM   #8
Swarm1424
macrumors newbie

Macpod I need some help check ur inbox
Never mind can't pm u, will u take a look at a thread I just posted? I'm super stumped and no one has looked at it yet here's the link http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1485100
I appreciate it thanks

To the op it seems like its only happening on that particular site for me. It could be a problem with their web rendering or something in the code making it happen. I cannot replicate it on any other site or app.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:03 AM   #9
8a22a
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbogast777 View Post
Really? Interesting - I'm sitting here in a dark room and I swear when I scroll up and down it looks like its raining. I wish there was some way to capture it rather than relying on a description...
Try capture it with display recorder.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/disp...551889611?mt=8
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:07 AM   #10
MacPod
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarm1424 View Post
Macpod I need some help check ur inbox
Never mind can't pm u, will u take a look at a thread I just posted? I'm super stumped and no one has looked at it yet here's the link http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1485100
I appreciate it thanks
The good news is that looks like a software problem, not hardware. I don't have either of the games you listed, so I can't test them myself, but I'd try doing a full reset of the iPad to see if that works.

In this order (and in order of increasing destruction to your settings and time involved):
  1. Restart the iPad
  2. Reset All Settings (in Settings)
  3. Erase All Content and Settings (in Settings, this will require you to re-setup your iPad)
  4. Fully restore your iPad in iTunes

Be aware that the last two will mean resetting up your iPad, including installing apps, and you will lose all documents, unless you restore from a backup instead of setting up as a new iPad. You can try restoring from a backup first, but if that doesn't work, you might need to set up as a new iPad.

If all those fail, then it may really be hardware, and need to be replaced (also, if you don't want to go through the effort of trying those things, Apple will either do them for you, or replace the iPad).

Good luck!
MacPod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:23 AM   #11
Swarm1424
macrumors newbie

So I have done all of those things and restored the device and still have these issues. It's only these few Apps. They are older apps and all of my newer apps work fine and I have no issues with anything else other than this. I do find it weird regardless. I suppose I should keep my genius appointment tomorrow. What do u think?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:32 AM   #12
CandyNJ66
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbogast777 View Post
Noticed something funny while browsing a site - wondered if others' screens do the same thing.

Go to http://www.filmtracks.com/scoreboard...18476&expand=1 and scroll up and down while looking at that blue background on the page. Does anybody notice a shimmer or aliasing on it? My iPad 2 doesn't do that...
Site looks great on my iPad 4. No shimmer or aliasing
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:51 AM   #13
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarm1424 View Post
So I have done all of those things and restored the device and still have these issues. It's only these few Apps. They are older apps and all of my newer apps work fine and I have no issues with anything else other than this. I do find it weird regardless. I suppose I should keep my genius appointment tomorrow. What do u think?
I've tested the app, its a bug in the app not reading the new iPad 2,5 identifier and hence mixing up the games assets.

As game loft last updated it in September, good chance it will see an update to correct the issue.

It's not your mini.
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:55 AM   #14
Swarm1424
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPod View Post
The good news is that looks like a software problem, not hardware. I don't have either of the games you listed, so I can't test them myself, but I'd try doing a full reset of the iPad to see if that works.

In this order (and in order of increasing destruction to your settings and time involved):
  1. Restart the iPad
  2. Reset All Settings (in Settings)
  3. Erase All Content and Settings (in Settings, this will require you to re-setup your iPad)
  4. Fully restore your iPad in iTunes

Be aware that the last two will mean resetting up your iPad, including installing apps, and you will lose all documents, unless you restore from a backup instead of setting up as a new iPad. You can try restoring from a backup first, but if that doesn't work, you might need to set up as a new iPad.

If all those fail, then it may really be hardware, and need to be replaced (also, if you don't want to go through the effort of trying those things, Apple will either do them for you, or replace the iPad).

Good luck!
Ok so other members are verified the same issue upon the mini only. Also others are reporting the App Store interface glitch on all iPads apparently. I've counted 6 apps so far behaving very poorly or non functional. Good part is, not a hardware issue for me which I'm relieved cause otherwise my device is perfect. Lemme know if you see the App Store anomaly in the purchased section while reviewing app info

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad