Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Nov 8, 2012, 06:20 AM   #1
max321
macrumors newbie

[2012 Mini] Snowy screens, black screens, boot loop

UPDATE: The bott issue came from the memory (16GB@1600MHz, Corsair). Factory RAM works boots fine.

Hi,

Sorry for my english. It's not my native lang.

for a few days my Mac Mini (late 2012, 2.6GHz quad, 1080 hdmi display) ran fine. First I got a snowy screen (thought it came from my acer display). Then I got random black screens. Today the Mini can't shut down! If I choose "Shut Down" in ML, it first quits the OS normally and turns itself of (fan... etc.). After 2 seconds it starts again and boots.
(This behaviour is different from the normal reboot command, where the fan keeps running)

This behaviour is getting more strange. Now when I turn on the Mini it turns it self 2-5 times on and off and then boots.

I already unplugged all unnecessary devices. Only HDMI, USB (Apple Keyboard, Mouse) and power is plugged.
I tried this RAM reset: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379?viewlocale=de_DE

It is possible that the display issues are software bugs. However, I think it is possible too that the display issues are hardware problems, if you associate it with my boot issues.

Anyone else has experienced a strange boot behaviour?

Thanks very much
Best regards

Last edited by max321; Nov 9, 2012 at 07:38 AM. Reason: update: boot issues by memory
max321 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:29 AM   #2
JellyMike
macrumors newbie

similar problems

Firstly, hi everyone. My first post on here.

Hi Max321,

I have the Mac Mini (late 2012 2.3GHz i7) running OS X 10.8.2.

I am having similar display problems to you, but no restart/boot issues.

My AOC i2353Fh LCD IPS 23" monitor connected via HDMI randomly turns off for a few seconds then turns on again. This happens quite frequently (every hour or so). Less frequently (has only happened twice in about 2 weeks) the monitor turns off then comes on again but with a 'snowy' screen accompanied by hissing and crackling from its internal speakers (that I dont use, mini is connected to external speakers when this happens).

I originally thought it was a fault with the monitor, but after reading your post not so sure...and...I have a macbook pro (mid 2010) that I used with the monitor (via HDMI>mini display port) for a few ays until I bought the new mac mini and the problem did not occur.

I need to connect the MBP and use it with the monitor for a longer time period to see if it only occurs with the mini. I can also connect my girlfriends HP W7 (HDMI) laptop and see what happens...

I will report back as soon as I have tested.

Hopefully it is just a bug. I dont want my new display or my new mini to be faulty!!

Mike

Last edited by JellyMike; Nov 8, 2012 at 08:31 AM. Reason: spelling/grammar (and English IS my first language xD)
JellyMike is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini