Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NickD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
Colorado
Within the last 10 minutes, Apple Mail has suddenly lost the ability to connect with my G-mail account and retrieve mail.

I get the standard error:

This account (G-Mail) appears to be offline due to a network problem. Would you like to try go online now?

But it will not seem to re-connect for anything. I checked, and G-mail is working just fine in my web browser, but any idea why Mail can't connect all of a sudden?

NickD

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2004
Dont be so paranoid.... maybe their pop server is down. Wait a few and try again. If it was working just fine before, and it just stopped, they probly just have an interruption in service. Try back in 2 hours.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
Dont be so paranoid.... maybe their pop server is down. Wait a few and try again. If it was working just fine before, and it just stopped, they probly just have an interruption in service. Try back in 2 hours.

How is he being paranoid?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Within the last 10 minutes, Apple Mail has suddenly lost the ability to connect with my G-mail account and retrieve mail.

I get the standard error:

But it will not seem to re-connect for anything. I checked, and G-mail is working just fine in my web browser, but any idea why Mail can't connect all of a sudden?

NickD
I had the same problem. It seems to be working fine now, though. Probably just a temporary glitch with GMail's POP servers.

NickD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
Colorado
I'm just letting it sit and using the online G-Mail right now, but it should be back shortly.

NickD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
Colorado
It's still not connecting. Do you think there may be a problem? Should I try setting up my G-mail account in Mail again?

NickD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
Colorado
Yep. It's still not working. It'll send, but not receive. I'll try re-setting the account.

RSWH

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2012
Auckland, NZ
Mail randomly going offline

I've been getting a similar issue for a while - using Mountain Lion and IMAP to 2 seperate Gmail accounts. Every so often (no pattern yet observed) one or the other or both go "offline". The only way to get them back is to quit Mail and restart. While the accounts are "offline" on my MBP they are fine from either my iPhone or my iPad so its not the Gmail end...
Any ideas?

stevo33

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
Seattle
I've been getting a similar issue for a while - using Mountain Lion and IMAP to 2 seperate Gmail accounts. Every so often (no pattern yet observed) one or the other or both go "offline". The only way to get them back is to quit Mail and restart. While the accounts are "offline" on my MBP they are fine from either my iPhone or my iPad so its not the Gmail end...
Any ideas?

I'm not even able to get there! I went into Settings in my Gmail account and 'Enabled IMAP'. Then I opened Apple Mail on my iMac and tried adding a gmail account. It won't even acknowledge my username and password! I've tried EVERY way to be able to add this Gmail account to my Apple Mail... but no success. Any help out there? Thank you.

rimug1

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2014
Even Stranger...

My friend has g-Mail and uses Apple Mail. However, when she receives e-Mail, the only way she can view it is by clicking on the Notification window. If she clicks on inbox, or any other mailbox, she gets nothing.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Rick

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
My friend has g-Mail and uses Apple Mail. However, when she receives e-Mail, the only way she can view it is by clicking on the Notification window. If she clicks on inbox, or any other mailbox, she gets nothing.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Rick

There is something weird going on with gmail and Mail. I have a gmail account also and there's no unread message number, I can't delete messages (they just keep coming back. Not sure which side is the issue but I am a Yosemite beta member so I got a pre release on the next update and it has it addresses Mail issues. So I bit the bullet and I'm installing it to see what happens

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.