Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If the OS added new or additional processes that run in the background, that is not my fault. If you mean programs that I have open, well, when Outlook and Chrome are usually all I ever have open, it's not hard to see I'm using it in exactly the same way before & after.
So decide what default processes you don't want and disable or eliminate them. The fact is your battery drain will not be significantly different if you are, indeed, running the exact same tasks.

If you're having performance issues, this may help:

jknight8907

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2004
Hudson Valley NY
So decide what default processes you don't want and disable or eliminate them. The fact is your battery drain will not be significantly different if you are, indeed, running the exact same tasks.

If you're having performance issues, this may help:

SystemUIServer is the only suspicious task running, bouncing between 4% and 55% CPU usage. Everything else is stable and very low CPU usage.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
SystemUIServer is the only suspicious task running, bouncing between 4% and 55% CPU usage. Everything else is stable and very low CPU usage.
And you're looking at All Processes, not My Processes, right? If so, that sounds like it may be your culprit.

jknight8907

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2004
Hudson Valley NY
And you're looking at All Processes, not My Processes, right? If so, that sounds like it may be your culprit.

Correct. I did some quick research on that task and found some people link it to the status bar buttons, specifically the Time Machine shortcut. I turned off the time machine shortcut and SystemUIServer stays below 7% now. Looks like 'Google Chrome Renderer' is another big one when looking at webpages with lots of photos, and may turn out to be the truly big issue over SystemUIServer.

Last edited:

Maniraja

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2012
How exactly did you verify that you're running the exact same tasks?

For me it was three months from the very minute I uploaded 10.8 (and 10.8.1.and 10.8.2). The things I tried included deleting printer drivers, install from the app store, removing vodafone drivers, pram and that other thing resets, and much more, everything I could find I tried. I live up in the mountains in Southern Europe away from Broadband so it wasn't until I found myself back in the UK in December that I tried the one option left, a clean install from a USB stick drive. Everything back to normal immediately. The day I installed 10.8 I didn't install anything else as it was during my rare visit to the library. Straight away the battery was rubbish and straight away after an install from the USB stick drive three months later I got a decent computer back.

JonLa

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
My Air is a 2010 C2D with 4gb of ram - the battery life isn't great and at times it seems to fly down when using it on battery. I've tried using the steps in this thread to diagnose what is causing the drain, if there is one, but no joy. I suspect a clean install is my next route, but I need to work out how to restore the settings of certain apps, like itunes, and wipe others...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.