Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:56 AM   #51
VinegarTasters
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi74 View Post
Well, at least we can all agree on something.
Even if I stop, what about the iMovie population? The only good software on Mac, and they screw it up. iPad and iPhone has the App Store, with the ton of software (so they are safe). Mac? Nothing. Everything it has is available on Windows. Games? Runs faster on Windows. Office Suite? Microsoft Office is actually newer on Windows. The ONLY thing that is memorable is iMovie. And it is crippled... on purpose to be pixelated. They price Final Cut Pro so high, it is out of reach for the masses anyways. Price is one strategy Google is doing with free office suite on the web to tackle Microsoft. What is Apple doing? The opposite, high price software, or cripple useful low price software on their system.

If they want to keep the Mac population low, then they definitely succeeded. GarageBand? 1 in 10 or 20 people knows how to play an instrument (thats 5-10%, about matches the OSX population). iMovie? Anyone can take pictures with a camera (can reach 100% of the population), but it is crippled so no one seriously uses it. Software drives hardware. Break software, less hardware buyers.

So yes, iMovie is the thing that started this.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:53 AM   #52
scaredpoet
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinegarTasters View Post
Mac? Nothing. Everything it has is available on Windows. Games? Runs faster on Windows. Office Suite? Microsoft Office is actually newer on Windows.
...and yet you say, Apple maintains a monopoly?

Quote:
The ONLY thing that is memorable is iMovie.
I disagree with you on that. In fact iMovie has been something I barely use at all, while plenty of other apps I use every day on my Macs.

Just because your very narrow use case isn't being met anymore in exactly the way you expect it to be, doesn't mean that Apple is doing something nefarious or evil. Your niche need unfortunately, is too niche to be met. That's business. Stick with an old version of iMovie, or switch to windows, and then feel free to whine to them abouthow bad their free movie making software is, too.

Quote:
And it is crippled... on purpose to be pixelated. They price Final Cut Pro so high, it is out of reach for the masses anyways.
So don't pay it. There's Adobe Premiere Pro, or avidemux, or Blender, or Jahshaka, or Kdenlive. All of which work on Mac and provide alternatives to iMovie and FCP.

And why are we talking about Mac products on an iPhone forum, anyway?

Quote:
Price is one strategy Google is doing with free office suite on the web to tackle Microsoft. What is Apple doing? The opposite, high price software, or cripple useful low price software on their system.
Fortunately, they have such a small market share on the desktop market that it's fairly easy for you to consider other alternatives. Just take your blinders off and you'll see that you don't need to bound to Apple evil, evil ways any longer.

Quote:
If they want to keep the Mac population low, then they definitely succeeded.
Soooooooo... no monopoly then?

Quote:
So yes, iMovie is the thing that started this.
Then, what does this have to do with the iPhone, at all?

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone