Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPChicago

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Chicago
Ok. So first off, my apologies if this has been posted before.

So I would like to get a better understanding on how TMobile will conduct their iPhones. Starting 2013 they will have the iPhone for sale. From my understanding, does this mean no more unlocked phones? Can we go to a TMobile store at purchase an iPhone for the same cost as other carriers? If so, any release date? I've been asked this question many times but I really don't know.

jediistar

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
They did announce it. Just not a specific release date, but it will be this year.

Actually, they announced "Apple products." They never specified which products though we can of course infer on our own. Not to be nit picky, but they could launch an iPad before an iPhone, or not at all.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
That what I was trying to say.
They didnt give out details like price, dates, what kind of plans, how the subsidies will work and many many details.
The only thing they announced is that they're getting an Apple device in 2013.

TMo did not give out specific details of plans/prices and subsidies, because those things strategically change very quickly, especially in between the different rival telecoms (AT&T, Verizon, etc).

TMo would be stupid to give out the details of their "Apple device gameplan" months in advance, because that would essentially give AT&T and Verizon enough time to pre-emptively react and undercut TMo's plan.

JPChicago

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Chicago
Hmm. I wonder what's their game plan. I'm expecting their plans to stay unlimited. That would give them a huge boost! I guess we'll keep this thread for more news to come from TMobile

Ibuyiphones

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2011
Chicago
Even if they give a free i5 I would not sign a two year. Been with them on n off and have had dropped calls and data that works here n there. And when data did work (pretty fast too) it would error out after a few minutes. Verizon may be more expensive but its been SOLID all around. I live in Chicago.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
I bought an iPhone 5 after Apple released the unlocked iPhone 5 and T-Mobile CTO announced that Minneapolis and nearby cities of St. Cloud and St. Paul are now refarmed for 1900 MHz 3G service. After a couple of weeks of weak spotty 3G network, dropped calls and a perennial Edge network showing up, I put away my iPhone 5 and switched to my old SGS2 running on their AWS frequencies. Their 3G refarming for iphone is a disaster. T-mobile is the only wireless provider which refuses to put up 3G coverage maps while talking down Sprint and AT&T. I have been with T-mobile for over 10 years. Their AWS 4G network is pretty good in cities but the 3G is a disaster. They say they now cover 100 million pops without giving any maps or saying how many million covered in which city. Do not throw good money by switching to T-mobile until they complete their 3G reframing and provide verifiable data coverage maps.

Hmm. I wonder what's their game plan. I'm expecting their plans to stay unlimited. That would give them a huge boost! I guess we'll keep this thread for more news to come from TMobile

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Even if they give a free i5 I would not sign a two year. Been with them on n off and have had dropped calls and data that works here n there. And when data did work (pretty fast too) it would error out after a few minutes. Verizon may be more expensive but its been SOLID all around. I live in Chicago.

Totally hear you about how solid verizon is around Chicago :)

araje

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2012
Absolutely agreed.
I don't know whether their refarming is complete in PHX since whatever I see here is pathetic. The drop between 3G to E is not graceful. I see that the network goes from 3G to No Service to E. Now imagine what it would do to your calls. Also I realized that I can't browse data when I am calling some one using Bluetooth. That's because I am on E. How I forgot about that. But that was years ago.
This switch to tmobile has taken me a few years back, instead of going forward.
Repenting.

iTouch

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
Just did a swap about an hour ago. Tried to do it in store but the workers were incompetent. He crushed 2 of my SIMs trying to "make" it into a nano SIM. And he had the nerve to try to charge me for another one. $20? After a calm conversation, he did a swap. Of course, he did something wrong and it didn't provision, so I left frustrated. Went home and cut my own nano SIM from a template. Called T-Mobile directly and I was up and running within 5 minutes. Did a restore from back up and all is well. 3G is decent in my area. I hope T-Mobile does a better job when they officially roll out with iPhone 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.