Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
The 213+ is quite the NAS, congratulations.

I'm not aware of iSCASI support but it does support VPN & WebDAV which will show up in Finder just like the NAS does.

edit: the Synology does support iSCSI, was iSCASI a typo?

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Short answer: You can only have 1 computer connected to an iSCSI target.
Long answer: You can setup iSCSI to be read by multiple computers, but the superblocks will be overwritten by the last one that writes. To fix this, you need persistent reservation and clustering - not available on all brands of NAS.

Last edited:

misterklubhead

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Yes, it was a typo :p . I meant iSCSI.

My idea is to have the shared folder on the NAS as a partition on my MBA, now I have read that iSCSI would be the best way, but I am open to suggestions, especially that I would like this folder/partition to be available over the net.

Normal workflow - as example - if I would like to give (export) a photo to somebody, I would be able to give it by accessing the NAS over the web, but I would not be able to have any modifications I have made to the photo, my ideea is to have A3 library with the masters on the NAS , and that folder to appear as a local partition and if posible available over the web. Is something like this doable ?

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
Yes, it was a typo :p . I meant iSCSI.

My idea is to have the shared folder on the NAS as a partition on my MBA, now I have read that iSCSI would be the best way, but I am open to suggestions, especially that I would like this folder/partition to be available over the net.

Normal workflow - as example - if I would like to give (export) a photo to somebody, I would be able to give it by accessing the NAS over the web, but I would not be able to have any modifications I have made to the photo, my ideea is to have A3 library with the masters on the NAS , and that folder to appear as a local partition and if posible available over the web. Is something like this doable ?

There are two problems with iSCSI:

- only one computer at once can handle this kind of partitions. You cannot "share" a partition.
- doesn't work on OSX. At least not without expensive 3rd party iSCSI initiator.

But as for your question:

You setup two shared folders. One is private, for you (for your original photo). One is "shared", which means you can give your friend your NAS's address, username and password and put the file there. He the connects through WebDAV.

misterklubhead

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Hi Guys,

I have decided on the final configuration:

- Synology DC213+
- 2 X HDD Server WD 3TB SATA3 64MB IntelliPower (WD30EFRX)

Hope this will help others in their research.

Thanks everybody for the help, hopefully I will get everything working as I want when it arrives.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Hi Guys,

- Synology DC213+

Thanks everybody for the help, hopefully I will get everything working as I want when it arrives.

Good choice for drive. The Synology will start you off on the NAS route. When you need more space, you may need to buy a 4drive version or just get another NAS (the same - so you can swap RAID sets).

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
Hi Guys,

- Synology DC213+

Excellent choice!

I'm sure you'll be surprised, what this little box can do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.