Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dataz

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
Hello,

I commute to work and I like to watch TV-show episodes to pass the time. I don't have much space left on my Mini so I thought about the possibility to stream episodes from some sort of free cloud solution like Dropbox to my Mini via 4G mobile broadband... sadly Dropbox only allows/streams 15 min clip.

Any other free cloud storage solution(s) with unrestricted streaming, i.e. stream TV-show episodes from the cloud to my iPad via 4G.

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Microsoft Skydrive. You get 7GB storage free.

But what kind of cellular data plan do you have? Unless you have unlimited, streaming videos will quickly eat up your data allotment.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Hello,

I commute to work and I like to watch TV-show episodes to pass the time. I don't have much space left on my Mini so I thought about the possibility to stream episodes from some sort of free cloud solution like Dropbox to my Mini via 4G mobile broadband... sadly Dropbox only allows/streams 15 min clip.

Any other free cloud solution(s) with unrestricted streaming?

Please note: I only use retail DVD('s) i bought and converted to .mp4 so I can watch it on my iPad so no illegal downloads or anything...oh, and I will not share the episodes with anyone. Just watch them myself on the train.

Edit: Hm... it seems possible to do what I want to do with Pogoplug.

Via 4G?

I doubt the experience would be good. Perhaps via LTE. My experience with streaming on 4G is that its useless.

You might look at the WIFI drive technology offered by Hyperdrive if you are out of space on your iPad.

kevroc

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
Cineplayer can play local content and can also read files from your dropbox account to stream.

There are portable wifi drives, like the Kingston Wi-Drive that you carry with you and access the content via a wifi connection direct to the device.

http://www.kingston.com/us/usb/wireless#wid

Edit:
Just read your note about your local dvd content. I do that with Plex Media Server, it's a media server that runs on my pc at home and I have a Plex app on the ipad.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Via 4G?

I doubt the experience would be good. Perhaps via LTE. My experience with streaming on 4G is that its useless.

You might look at the WIFI drive technology offered by Hyperdrive if you are out of space on your iPad.

Stream from my NAS at home to a 3GS all of the time.

Dataz

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
I have no problem with speed or bandwidth so don't worry about that, I just need suggestions on free cloud storage solution(s) with unrestricted streaming, i.e. stream TV-show episodes from the cloud to my iPad via 4G.

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
I have no problem with speed or bandwidth so don't worry about that, I just need suggestions on free cloud storage solution(s) with unrestricted streaming, i.e. stream TV-show episodes from the cloud to my iPad via 4G.

Airvideo does this. It will even convert on the go any video format.

You have to keep the server running on the computer. I stream from my NAS hooked up to AirPort Extreme all the time. Over 4G and wifi.However it is not cloud storage.

Last edited:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Trying to do this with the cloud is like sending blank checks to AT&T, Verizon or Sprint. Just one movie could burn through 2GB. One 1080p HD movie could burn through 4GB-8GB+. Even if you have "unlimited", you'll get throttled by the end of about the first or second movie or about the 5th or so TV show. If so, then this solution won't work so well. Unless you just have money to burn, this is not a great use of cellular technology.

As others have offered, wifi hard drive sounds like the way to go for this desire: relatively cheap and relatively huge storage (whole collections of movies or TV show series could fit on just one device). Watch any of that on your iPad when you want and add nothing in costs to your cellular service (or burn no additional bandwidth against your quota or throttling limit). Here's just one that is a very small package: http://www.kingston.com/us/usb/wireless#wid and I've seen wifi drives with capacities up to at least 1TB.

Alternatively, unload some of the content stored on your iDevice and sync a few things you want to watch. Then, delete them and sync some other stuff. Consider upgrading for more storage if you bought the 16GB or 32GB version of your iDevice.

If you are absolutely stuck on cloud storage and 3G/4G streaming, I believe the new Kim Dotcom service might be worth a look: https://mega.co.nz/ (some news about it: http://www.zdnet.com/kim-dotcoms-back-with-a-new-50gb-free-storage-service-mega-7000010043/) and/or mediafire: http://www.mediafire.com/ Both pitch 50GB for free.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.