Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mplayers2005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2012
Some guy just sold me a lost or stolen iPhone, just found out when I got my micro sim earlier today and tried to make a call. The iPhone is also factory unlocked , my question is can my friend use my iPhone on t-mobile network ?

Iphull

macrumors member
May 16, 2011
Have you considered taking it to Verizon or Sprint? They could tell by the numbers on the phone who it belongs to. Sorry, but just because you paid for it doesn't mean it belongs to you. Someone stole my phone once and sold it for $10. So excuse me if I sound like I'm on a high horse. I'm only putting myself in the shoes of the true owner. Must suck for them right now.

Reactions: AJsAWiz

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Have you considered taking it to Verizon or Sprint? They could tell by the numbers on the phone who it belongs to. Sorry, but just because you paid for it doesn't mean it belongs to you. Someone stole my phone once and sold it for $10. So excuse me if I sound like I'm on a high horse. I'm only putting myself in the shoes of the true owner. Must suck for them right now.

The OP is just as much a victim, though... It’s a difficult situation, because if the OP keeps it then the owner loses out on a phone they paid for, whereas if the owner gets it back the OP loses out on a phone he paid for too. Tricky.

Depends on how much the OP got the phone for, too... If it was 30 bucks, then the answer is simple. But if it was $500? Not so simple.

Iphull

macrumors member
May 16, 2011
Wanna know how I knew it was sold for $10? Because I called my number and a girl answered. I heard someone say "don't answer" and hung up. I kept calling until she answered. I gave her $20 to get it back. :)

But as a rule, if someone is selling a valuable item for dirt cheap, there's usually a reason.

----------

To answer your question, it won't work if its a Verizon or Sprint iPhone.

mplayers2005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2012
Wanna know how I knew it was sold for $10? Because I called my number and a girl answered. I heard someone say "don't answer" and hung up. I kept calling until she answered. I gave her $20 to get it back. :)

But as a rule, if someone is selling a valuable item for dirt cheap, there's usually a reason.

----------

To answer your question, it won't work if its a Verizon or Sprint iPhone.

It's an AT&T iPhone that is factory unlocked, from what I know I did buy it from the owners the thing was like brand new... Now I no longer have there contact or anything.. So your saying it will work on t mobile ???

Stu2510

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2012
It's an AT&T iPhone that is factory unlocked, from what I know I did buy it from the owners the thing was like brand new... Now I no longer have there contact or anything.. So your saying it will work on t mobile ???

What did you do, buy the phone then immediately delete any record of buying it? Come on, do the right thing and hand it in...

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Some guy just sold me a lost or stolen iPhone, just found out when I got my micro sim earlier today and tried to make a call. The iPhone is also factory unlocked , my question is can my friend use my iPhone on t-mobile network ?

How did you find out it was stolen?

joonyaboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
FL
Between you and the original owner, you guys may be able to identify/catch the thief.

If not, people will assume you stole it or were in on it

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I just try to follow these ten little rules. I think your case is listed specifically.

#7 You shall not steal.

Each State has their own feelings about this:
Receiving stolen property and possession of stolen property are treated as separate offenses in some jurisdictions. The distinguishing element is when the person knew that the property was stolen. If the person knew that the property was stolen at the time he received it, the crime is receiving stolen property. If the person did not know the property was stolen at the time she received it but found out after receiving possession, the crime is possession of stolen property.

Good luck and happy karma.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
all seems fishy, as he knows it is stolen, everyone is giving the OP advice and he continues to ask to see if it will work on T-Mobile if he gives it to a friend?

If it was stolen, I would contact the person you bought it from and find out where they got it, if they say they bought it new, ask for a receipt or proof, or you can report them to the police. As for the phone? I would contact the carrier they might be able to track down the original purchaser then you can work with them to get your money back, I would not just hand the phone to anyone after you paid for it, would not be fair to you to do the right thing and be out all sorts of money, however that being said, just still seems like a fishy deal.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
That's the dirty side of unlocking phones with a third party who sell "factory" unlocks. I think its fine to unlock a phone that you own, but I've noticed that most sellers advertising unlocks point out that they can unlock stolen and lost iPhones as well. A seller can't really avoid a thief using their service to unlock a stolen iPhone, but they don't have to advertise the fact either.

mplayers2005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2012
What did you do, buy the phone then immediately delete any record of buying it? Come on, do the right thing and hand it in...

Hand it into who??the cops have no record of it, AT&T will not give out anyones info and want to have nothing to do with the iPhone. The gay guys I bought it from we're moving and sold me the iPhone they looked like te og owner. The must I'm thinking what's going on is insurance fraud, they lied to apple care that it was lost or stolen just read an online article bout this crap

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Hand it into who??the cops have no record of it, AT&T will not give out anyones info and want to have nothing to do with the iPhone. The gay guys I bought it from we're moving and sold me the iPhone they looked like te og owner. The must I'm thinking what's going on is insurance fraud, they lied to apple care that it was lost or stolen just read an online article bout this crap

How exactly does being gay & moving tie into to them "looking" like the original owner? Just curious how you put that all together.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
hand it into who??the cops have no record of it, at&t will not give out anyones info and want to have nothing to do with the iphone. The gay guys i bought it from we're moving and sold me the iphone they looked like te og owner. The must i'm thinking what's going on is insurance fraud, they lied to apple care that it was lost or stolen just read an online article bout this crap

lulz!!!

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012

Good luck with that... I made the mistake of suggesting that in a similar thread on here and got everything but death threats.

For the record, my wife had just lost her iPhone 4s (pretty sure it was stolen as it had been turned off within 15 minutes of me talking to her). Someone posted on here about how they just bought a lost/stolen phone and I suggested they take it to Vzw or wherever to help get it back to the original owner... oh man... that was not received well.

Which is odd... I don't think it's a "tough call" or "tough position" to be in at all. It's "BUYER BEWARE"... in this scenario, it's the BUYER of the LOST/STOLEN property that would (and should in my opinion) lose out. Sorry, that's just how it is. the person who rightfully paid for and owned the phone should not lose out. The person who bought a used iPhone from wherever should have done due dilligence and met at a corporate store to ensure the phone was not lost/stolen. If they bought from eBay or from a seller that was not local, well, sorry... that's not the fault of the original and rightful owner... should not have bought from a remote seller.

while it may not be applicable in this situation, it's worth mentioning that if the deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Call it a "high horse" or a "holier than thou" attitude but that's how I feel about it. You bet if I ever find an iPhone I will do everything that I can to find the original owner (even after being burned ourselves) because that's what's right to do. I will not be buying a used one from anywhere and if I did, it would be from a local seller and I would meet at a carrier corporate store to have it activated before any money exchanged hands.

----------

I'm thinking what's going on is insurance fraud, they lied to apple care that it was lost or stolen just read an online article bout this crap

AppleCare does not cover lost/stolen iPhones. Re-read that article.

mplayers2005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2012
How exactly does being gay & moving tie into to them "looking" like the original owner? Just curious how you put that all together.
They were telling me they just got it a month ago and are looking to sell it to make some extra money on their free upgrade. They had the box they had the charge, the outlet pieces and booklets, they had the whole shabang. The imei match the one on the back of the box as well, they even seemed sad to sell it.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
They were telling me they just got it a month ago and are looking to sell it to make some extra money on their free upgrade. They had the box they had the charge, the outlet pieces and booklets, they had the whole shabang. The imei match the one on the back of the box as well, they even seemed sad to sell it.

So why do you think it's stolen?

People in this thread are talking like every phone transaction should have managers, lawyers, and authorities to check, double-check, triple-check that maybe the phone was lost or stolen and there's some kind of chance we can find the original owner and be a hero! Otherwise, screw the buyer who dropped $300-500, he should incur that lost because it's clearly his fault that he got a stolen phone and all will be well if he returns it (he's only out some money, but who needs money right!). You people are ridiculous :rolleyes:

Supraking

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2010

yeah it would be a good idea to return a phone to the original owner if you pay $300 so god doesn't send you to hell.
op, yes it will work with t-mobile. At&t and T-Mobile have a different database of stolen phones and is not shared.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
I'm sorry but if I bought a stolen phone I'm not returning it. As long as I was diligent in my purchase, I'm keeping it. I can't afford to incur the loss. The original owner should have been more careful. I'm not covering his loss.

Iphull

macrumors member
May 16, 2011
yeah it would be a good idea to return a phone to the original owner if you pay $300 so god doesn't send you to hell.

Who said anything about God sending anyone to hell? I've been in the position of the original owner. Yes, I laid it down and forgot to pick it back up. We are human and at times become forgetful. So it's ok to pounce on the golden opportunity every time someone forgets? This is why I speak out for the true owner. I know there are so many people who stand around like vultures, waiting for someone to screw up, then grab the spoils before they are noticed they are missing. I'm thankful there are still people like the person who returned my bank card to customer service when I dropped it.

Good thing nobody knows my name. People will follow me around with a catcher's mitt. LOL

Some guy just sold me a lost or stolen iPhone, just found out when I got my micro sim earlier today and tried to make a call. The iPhone is also factory unlocked , my question is can my friend use my iPhone on t-mobile network ?....

....They were telling me they just got it a month ago and are looking to sell it to make some extra money on their free upgrade. They had the box they had the charge, the outlet pieces and booklets, they had the whole shabang. The imei match the one on the back of the box as well, they even seemed sad to sell it.

??? :)

Supraking

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2010
Who said anything about God sending anyone to hell? I've been in the position of the original owner. Yes, I laid it down and forgot to pick it back up. We are human and at times become forgetful. So it's ok to pounce on the golden opportunity every time someone forgets? This is why I speak out for the true owner. I know there are so many people who stand around like vultures, waiting for someone to screw up, then grab the spoils before they are noticed they are missing. I'm thankful there are still people like the person who returned my bank card to customer service when I dropped it.

Good thing nobody knows my name. People will follow me around with a catcher's mitt. LOL

??? :)

I understand what you're saying, this would be acceptable and even something everybody should; if you find something try your best to return it to the owner. But in this case, the op didn't find the phone took it. Someone else sold him the stolen phone (as an example if op lying). This is not a $10 toy, is something that costs $200+. So i don't think the victim (the person who bough it) should be the only person who looses. if he return it, the thief keeps his money, the person who losted get his phone back, and the vicitim looses his money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.