Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Right now I'm using iPhoto and once I get a new camera I'll switch to something like Aperature or Lightroom. In the mean time, I'd like to ask for some opinions on favorite cameras...

You have it backwards. Most beginners do. You are not buying a "camera". You are buying into a system of bodies and lenses and flashes and such. In fact when you look at the cost, most of what you spend will be on lenses. The lens may last through multiple SLR body upgrades.

So look which company has the products you might want in 1, 2 or 5 years. Think about the used marget too. Many good deal there and you will be selling the old SLR bodies as you upgrade.

IN the old days of film it was different, you'd buy an SLR body and keep it for 15 years. To day no one on Earth wants a 15 year old dSLR body but lenses Nikon Lenses for the 1970's are still in demand.

My advice is to pick a brand (Nikon and Canon are the more conservative choices) then pick a lens or two. then buy which ever SLR body fits your remaining budget.

you should know that a 50mm f/1.8 prime lens will make a different image them a 18-50 kit zoom lens and you WILL see the difference in the final print. But a $300 used dSLR body and a $6,000 body will not make much of a difference in the final result

besure to PLAN AHEAD. For example in the Nikon line some bodies have built-in focus motors, some don't. Some lenses lack motors and need the one in the body. This matters if you plan to buy used Nikon gear. Canon gear is more uniform but the pre EOS canon sti=uff just does not work at all with new EOS. Then compnaies like Sony, who knows if they will even make SLRs in 10 years. They might be a dead end. So think about the next 5 or so years because you are buying into a systemand it is expensive to change systems

bwhli

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2012
Boston, MA
It's been many years since I've used an SLR. I've used a point and shoot for some time now, along with my iPhone camera. I'd like to get more into shooting as a hobby as I did when I was in the military (back then it was film).

Right now I'm using iPhoto and once I get a new camera I'll switch to something like Aperature or Lightroom. In the mean time, I'd like to ask for some opinions on favorite cameras. I'm not looking for a real high end camera, but a good starter camera that I can be happy with for a few years, and will give me more options and better pictures than a point and shoot camera.

I hope this is the right forum for this question. Thanks everyone!

What kind of photography do you want to do? I would recommend the X100S. Looks like an amazing camera, but might not be a good fit for you.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Spending more money never made anyone a better or more serious photographer.

Is that ever true. So many people buy gear they don't need. The best plan is to start small. Buy an entry level body and a cheap "kit" lens. Then shoot 1,000 frames but do it 100 at a time, Make up some assignment. Shoot 100 frames then review your work and keep the best 5 shots. Do this at least 10 times before you buy the next piece of photo equipment and then the ONLY reason to buy is because it solves some problem you encountered.

I think 1,000 is far to few. But I'm talking about 1,000 purposfull shots made for an assignment (say street portraits, or animal behaviors or trees or whatever) after 10 serious projects, then buy the one item that you missed.

The later after you have 10,000 frames (and 200 keepers) and 10 items of camera gears (a body, two lenses, a bag, tripods,....) sell the item you use the least before you buy the next one. With this method your system will evolve as your skill grow. And selling off the stuff you don't use really does help.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
My advice, having been through it recently myself, is to miss the T3/1100D if you go with Canon. It doesn't have spot metering or a sensor cleaner built in. Go a model or 2 higher in the range, you should be able to bag a body with 2 lenses kit for your budget of $800.

Having moved from the 1100D to the 60D, I can attest to there being a world of image difference between these bodies, contrary to the talk of there being no real difference between bodies and it all being the lenses... That's my experience, others are entitled to theirs.

johnpeter91

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2013
USA
Recommendation

Hi my respected senior and junior members i am a wild life photographer and i am using D40 its perfect for me if some one have better option pls suggest me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.