Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Translation:

They just cracked it or made good friends with Apple getting their own backdoor and now want the word to spread to create false sense of security.

If you want to communicate safe from any third party interception a personal meeting and sharing keys on that event is king.
After that use those keys to encrypt your messages YOURSELF.
And use software that doesn't have a second password backdoor. (Many encryption tools have that to be legal. A bit like TSA locks, just that a regular lock is just as legally feasible, but won't make you any happy once it's broken by said friends of TSA. :p)

Glassed Silver:mac

Brother Esau

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
Sure...just like they have not been illegally collecting private personal data on civilians without probable cause and just like there is no back door programmed into Windows or OSX for the NSA either!

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
ok... so lets all use iMessage :)

Having said that, encryption is useless, if Apple "may pass it onto the courts anyway.", although security is better than none.

They don't even to wiretap anything, just ask Apple.

And, i'm sure Voip is the same.... your VOIP company could comply with no problem... so bring on the best security you can get, because we can just get hold of by anyway later on from the provider.

5gs

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2013
Yea, they're so secure neither my devices, the recipient or Apple can read or arrange them.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
[url=http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

CNET has obtained a 'sensitive' U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency document that says it is impossible for law enforcement agencies to eavesdrop on iMessage conversations, even with a court order, because of Apple's "secure end-to-end encryption".

The memo appears to be aimed at informing DEA agents that while they may have the appropriate subpoena to get SMS messages, they may not be getting all messages sent and received if the target is using iMessage.

Security researchers suggest that it may be possible for Apple to comply with government search warrants and subpoenas to hand over iMessage data, but the DEA note says it is currently "impossible to intercept iMessages between two Apple devices".

From CNET:
This issue is nothing new, however -- law enforcement and spy agencies have struggled getting wiretaps on VoIP calls for years, with Skype's P2P calls being particularly difficult to tap.

In its privacy policy, Apple says it may disclose personal information "by law, legal process, litigation, and/or requests from public and governmental authorities within or outside your country of residence" or "if we determine that for purposes of national security, law enforcement, or other issues of public importance, disclosure is necessary or appropriate."

Article Link: U.S. Federal Law Enforcement Says It's Impossible to Wiretap iMessage Conversations

Good, leave people alone.

Stop invading people's privacy and let them lead their own lives.

Mind your own business DEA

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Well if they can just ask Apple, who cares if it's encrypted anyway? So it will give you a little more time to make a run for it when they have to take that extra step to get Apple involved.

Pointless.

tentales

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010
Too bad too.

Our government should understand that we will be safe from their prying eyes and they will have limits on reaching into our lives. I can live with criminals having the ability to speak privately, or there being an option of anonymity.

What I don't want to live with is a far reaching government that meddles in my affairs. Keep out and find a different way to get at criminals. I don't care if some of them will get away with crime, or that they lack the tools to catch criminals when they talk. It's part of the price of being a free and un-meddled with citizenry. Law enforcement will be hard. It should be.

Wishful thinking. Privacy is dead! There's only the perception of privacy.
Only a matter of time 'til the last person figures this out.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Wishful thinking. Privacy is dead! There's only the perception of privacy.
Only a matter of time 'til the last person figures this out.

Given the events in Boston, I would imagine that privacy (and possibly more freedoms with it) will only nosedive even further. It's for your own good, they'll say.... :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.