Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
I have atv 3 and an iPad mini. I enable mirroring and it's a small window on my tv. Is there a way to change this w/out jailbreaking and adding the Cydia app "display out"?

I really hope so.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Your TV is most likely a 16:9 aspect ration while all iPads are 4:3.

The aTV won't "stretch" it out.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Your TV is most likely a 16:9 aspect ration while all iPads are 4:3.

The aTV won't "stretch" it out.

Yup, it's only truly 16:9 Apple products (currently, the iPhone 5 and iPt5) that are mirrored in 16:9 using mirroring.

In-game, explicit mirroring / TV out support has nothing to do with this; for example, Real Racing 2 HD outputs 16:9 via AirPlay on both the iPhone 5 and the iPad 3 (just tested). Also, of course, natively Apple TV-native video formats are played back using full screen from any device (understandably, as these videos are sent to the Apple TV "as is" for playback and, therefore, aren't mirrored over the air. Hence the much better quality of playback than native AirPlay.)

Rushli0n

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2012
Have you tried stretching your TV aspect ratio? It's not ideal, but it does fill the screen when mirroring.

A10SBUG

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2013
No stretching or aspect ratio change needed

Although most people won't have the software, I just generated a 1080i HD video using Adobe Premiere Pro and got it transferred onto my iPad mini. I used the digital AV adapter (lightning version) with no issue mirroring to display. The problem I had was a user error. I was plugging in the wrong HDMI cable (using an existing setup). Once I found the correct one that actually connected to the HDTV. It worked like a charm. No video stretching as my original video is of 1080i quality. :)

So, just plug in the HDMI cable to the output device and used the Video application, and play the video using the Video app. No change of aspect ratio necessary as it displays as 16x9 (or 1920 x 1080 res.).

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Although most people won't have the software, I just generated a 1080i HD video using Adobe Premiere Pro and got it transferred onto my iPad mini. I used the digital AV adapter (lightning version) with no issue mirroring to display. The problem I had was a user error. I was plugging in the wrong HDMI cable (using an existing setup). Once I found the correct one that actually connected to the HDTV. It worked like a charm. No video stretching as my original video is of 1080i quality. :)

So, just plug in the HDMI cable to the output device and used the Video application, and play the video using the Video app. No change of aspect ratio necessary as it displays as 16x9 (or 1920 x 1080 res.).

That's no issue with ATV either. You can play video from the iDevice using AirPlay and it fills the screen. This is different from AirPlay mirroring, which won't fill the screen because the iPad and the TV are different shapes.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011

As FreakinEurekan has already mentioned, you're mistaking native 16:9 video playback for 4:3 screen mirroring. The two aren't the same.

BTW,

1, by "1080i HD video", I'm pretty sure you meant 1080p. iOS cannot play back 1080i video, only 1080p ones, in hardware.

2, when strictly mirroring (NOT whe playing back a video from the stock Videos app from iOS!), you can disable overscan. Then, letterboxing will be gone (pillarboxing won't, of course, as we're still speaking of displaying a 4:3 image on a 16:9 screen without stretching). In my latest article on iOS overscan, I've dedicated an entire section to this (see Section " 1.2.3.3 Using AirPlay with the Apple TV"):

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1578989/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.