Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 26, 2013, 03:05 PM   #1
mrcarter2
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Question Should I get an 11" MacBook Air or a 13" MacBook Air?

I know that this question has been asked dozens of times in the other threads but I thought I should start my own in order to get the best answer. I have an iPad 2 and an iPhone 5. I'm about to be a sophomore in high school, and I used my iPad to type up school papers all year and the situation was less than ideal. I generally type up 3 papers per month and it was awful. I would use the laptop for a lot of PowerPoint/Keynote presentations, a lot of Word documents, some video editing, managing the files between my iPad and iPhone,and some web browsing. I wouldn't be bringing the computer to school very often though portability is a small factor in my decision. My main concern is that the 13" will be just large enough to become unwieldy and heavy or that the 11" is simply too close in size to my iPad and won't be any larger. Thanks for your help in advance!
mrcarter2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 04:01 PM   #2
beysus
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I would recommend you getting the 13" as I personally think the 11" is too small to work convienently with. I take my 13" to university and it's the perfect size for me. Also I think for video editing the 11" would be way to small.
__________________
13" MacBook Air; iPad Mini; iPhone 4S; iPod Touch 3rd Gen.; iPod Shuffle 1st Gen. Second
beysus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 04:20 PM   #3
mrcarter2
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Thanks for the quick reply! I'm somewhat attracted to the 11" due to its extreme portability as I could just slip it into my bookbag when I need to take it somewhere. I'm afraid that the screen will appear very cramped when I have multiple windows open though
__________________
Black 32 GB iPad 2, Black 16 GB iPhone 5, 2012 13-inch MacBook Pro
mrcarter2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 04:37 PM   #4
B...
macrumors 68000
 
B...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcarter2 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply! I'm somewhat attracted to the 11" due to its extreme portability as I could just slip it into my bookbag when I need to take it somewhere. I'm afraid that the screen will appear very cramped when I have multiple windows open though
One vote for the 13". In my opinion, the 11" screen does get cramped easily and the 1440x900 resolution is much more useable. And it is only around 0.6 lbs. more than the 11", so it's not too noticeable.
B... is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 05:18 PM   #5
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcarter2 View Post
I know that this question has been asked dozens of times in the other threads but I thought I should start my own in order to get the best answer. I have an iPad 2 and an iPhone 5. I'm about to be a sophomore in high school, and I used my iPad to type up school papers all year and the situation was less than ideal. I generally type up 3 papers per month and it was awful. I would use the laptop for a lot of PowerPoint/Keynote presentations, a lot of Word documents, some video editing, managing the files between my iPad and iPhone,and some web browsing. I wouldn't be bringing the computer to school very often though portability is a small factor in my decision. My main concern is that the 13" will be just large enough to become unwieldy and heavy or that the 11" is simply too close in size to my iPad and won't be any larger. Thanks for your help in advance!
nobody can answer this for you. go to the fruitstand and play with them. i was set on the 13" until i did that, but realized the 11" was better for me.
DisplacedMic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 05:44 PM   #6
LeeM
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
for portability, 11"
if youre not going to take it out much, 13" but if its going to be practically a home computer id go for a pro.
go to apple and play with them all, best way
LeeM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 05:52 PM   #7
mrcarter2
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Thanks for the replies guys! I think I'm leaning a lil towards the 11" since my dads surface pro doesn't sdem THAT small. I guess the only way to see what I prefer is to go to the Apple store and try them both for myself. Thanks for the help!
__________________
Black 32 GB iPad 2, Black 16 GB iPhone 5, 2012 13-inch MacBook Pro
mrcarter2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 06:09 PM   #8
BanjoBanker
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mt Brook, AL
I have one of the original 12" PowerBooks. I love the size and was very disappointed when it was discontinued at the Intel shift. Bought a 13" BlackBook after the second upgrade and was fairly pleased, although the weight still feels like a lot more. I think the form factor accounts for that. All that being said, the screen on the 11" Air is quite nice and roomier than you would think. All the worry about it's size is a little silly. If screen real estate is that important, get the 15" MacBook Pro or an iMac. Quite a few road warrior friends, mostly consultants, use the 11" Air and love it. Look at them both at the Apple Store and decide which best suits your needs and buy that one.
__________________
12" 867 PB
C2D BlackMac
iPhone, 3G iPod, iPod Shuffle
Leica IIIc, Nikon D70s and some nice Nikon glass
BanjoBanker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 06:11 PM   #9
noodile
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
unless you wanna buy another one in a year or 2, get the 13". it'll make life much easier especially starting college and all those group projects and stuff.
noodile is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 08:40 AM   #10
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodile View Post
unless you wanna buy another one in a year or 2, get the 13". it'll make life much easier especially starting college and all those group projects and stuff.
what's your reasoning there?
DisplacedMic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 11:46 AM   #11
noodile
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedMic View Post
what's your reasoning there?
Once you start getting into the more involved group projects, you'll need some decent screen real estate.

11" isn't much when you have Google docs opened, as well as one article in a different window and you're using them both. 13" is way better.


Last august i decided it was time to sell my 13"MBP. spent a day with a 11" MBA a 13" and 15" MBP. 11" ended up being way too small for multi-tasking. and my tablet was already 10. so i might as well have added a keyboard to my tablet.

so it ended up being between the 13" and the 15". so trust me, for huge group project, you need at least a 13"
noodile is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 12:21 PM   #12
dkersten
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Do you have access to an external display? I think you're ideal setup could be the 11 inch with a monitor/dock setup.
dkersten is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 01:16 PM   #13
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodile View Post
Once you start getting into the more involved group projects, you'll need some decent screen real estate.

11" isn't much when you have Google docs opened, as well as one article in a different window and you're using them both. 13" is way better.


Last august i decided it was time to sell my 13"MBP. spent a day with a 11" MBA a 13" and 15" MBP. 11" ended up being way too small for multi-tasking. and my tablet was already 10. so i might as well have added a keyboard to my tablet.

so it ended up being between the 13" and the 15". so trust me, for huge group project, you need at least a 13"
i have spent 10 years as a bench scientist and now i am in law school. the 11" MBA has been perfect for both. science is highly collaborative, so i can easily use it to show data in small group settings. for larger meetings everyone plugs their computer into a projector so that's moot.

for working at my desk i have a cheap external monitor for modeling, large spreadsheets etc.

i think this is going to be a matter of personal opinion. obviously times have changed since i was an undergrad - most kids didn't carry around laptops until the end of school and those were nowhere near as light and portable as today's machines. however - portability for a college kid is just as important as for a professional, if not more so.

i think it's essential that everyone try before you buy as it's definitely going to be a matter of personal taste. your argument for the 13" is perfectly reasonable but for me the 11" is a better fit.
i would also like to point out that i walked into the apple store set on the 13" mba with no interest in the 11 - for many of the reasons you alluded to your in your post! it wasn't until after i played with it that i realized the 11" was the better choice for me.

also - i agree entirely that the choice is between the 11" and the 15. at least for me - did i want ultralight or ultra portable... so at the price difference between the 11 mba and the 15" rMBP - i went with the mba
DisplacedMic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 01:20 PM   #14
gnasher729
macrumors G5
 
gnasher729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcarter2 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply! I'm somewhat attracted to the 11" due to its extreme portability as I could just slip it into my bookbag when I need to take it somewhere. I'm afraid that the screen will appear very cramped when I have multiple windows open though
11" MBA plus a cheap 1920x1080 monitor when stationary.
gnasher729 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 05:25 PM   #15
mrcarter2
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Thanks for all the help guys! I went into the apple store today and played with both and the 11 inch wasn't nearly as cramped as I thought it would be. It's also the perfect weight. While the 13" isn't backbreaking, I feel like its just big enough to lose that "Pick it up and bring it anywhere" feeling. Maybe I feel this way because I'm coming from an iPad 2, not a notebook, but this 13" just felt heavy to me for some reason. I'm sure I'd get used to the size of the 13", and while the 11" screen wasn't as small as I thought it would be, it still felt somewhat cramped when I had apps open that couldn't be expanded to fit the full screen (pages for instance). I'm kind of leaning on the 13" at this point, since I expect the computer to lasts a couple years. The 11" seemed borderline in the store, so I'm sure the constraints of the size would grow down the line.
__________________
Black 32 GB iPad 2, Black 16 GB iPhone 5, 2012 13-inch MacBook Pro
mrcarter2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 11:17 PM   #16
solderguy1
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
My 13-inch with sleeve fits into a backpack no problem. And I like the SD slot, 2nd usb port, and longer battery life. I'm laying on my bed typing with it on my stomach right now.
solderguy1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013, 01:02 AM   #17
b3av3r
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Send a message via AIM to b3av3r Send a message via Yahoo to b3av3r
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcarter2 View Post
Thanks for all the help guys! I went into the apple store today and played with both and the 11 inch wasn't nearly as cramped as I thought it would be. It's also the perfect weight. While the 13" isn't backbreaking, I feel like its just big enough to lose that "Pick it up and bring it anywhere" feeling. Maybe I feel this way because I'm coming from an iPad 2, not a notebook, but this 13" just felt heavy to me for some reason. I'm sure I'd get used to the size of the 13", and while the 11" screen wasn't as small as I thought it would be, it still felt somewhat cramped when I had apps open that couldn't be expanded to fit the full screen (pages for instance). I'm kind of leaning on the 13" at this point, since I expect the computer to lasts a couple years. The 11" seemed borderline in the store, so I'm sure the constraints of the size would grow down the line.
I needed a super light laptop that I could take to school everyday and handle 95% of my workload which is mainly internet usage and typing papers. The 13" is a great size and completely replaced my desktop (an older but capable win7 PC).

As far as weight goes, I was in a severe motorcycle wreck that destroyed my back and I cannot carry much weight at all. I feel every pound in my bag which was my need for the lightest laptop possible. The 13" is almost not noticeable, I have had to check several times to make sure it was in my bag after I put it there. It is really that light. I think the few extra ounces from the 13" is worth the ability to easily do almost any work, plus extra battery life, and an SD card slot.
b3av3r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013, 05:26 AM   #18
TC25
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by solderguy1 View Post
And I like the SD slot, 2nd usb port, and longer battery life.
Same reasons I switched from an MBA11 to an MBA13.
TC25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:53 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC