Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Why do you need a quad core iPhone? :confused:

Because whenever we get more computing power on any commodity device we (customers on the whole) tend to use it.

When cell phones started catching on around 1990, nobody would have conceived of a common one the size of a wallet having the processing power of four Cray 2 supercomputers. Now you're wondering why we'd up that to eight in the same tiny box.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Does anyone else ever take a step back to just be _amazed_ at the computing power of something about the size of a stick of gum?

That computing power is enough to execute a dozen or so instructions in the time it takes light from the screen to reach your eye.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
They can make a octa-core cpu but if it is not frecuency efficient and energy optimized, your applications will remain slugish and you will be left without battery in hours.

You think such optimization alongside core doubling isn't presumed in the discussion?

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
Sucks if it's just a back camera and chip update like the the 4S.... could do with (much) better battery life!

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
Now call me mad but I can see the increased length of the chip but the components seem to have the same space, does this look like a chip for a bigger phone maybe?

Anyone else agree?

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Is there any reason to believe that this logic board is even for the 5s? With all the reports of a cheaper iPhone coming out, why rule it out as the destination for this logic board?

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Good timing. Just as LLVM 3.3 was officially released today with ARM64 built-in.

There hasn't been enough time since announce for a core to be ready. Plus I have to believe Swift lives for more than 1 generation.

Is there any reason to believe that this logic board is even for the 5s? With all the reports of a cheaper iPhone coming out, why rule it out as the destination for this logic board?

Because the cheaper iPhone is just a rumor. Just like the 'iPhone nano' was always a rumor. It's accepted as fact the iPhone 5 will have a successor, however.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Because the cheaper iPhone is just a rumor. Just like the 'iPhone nano' was always a rumor. It's accepted as fact the iPhone 5 will have a successor, however.

Granted, but It's a rumors that a lot of analysts believe will happen. If (and I mean if) it's true then this logic board could very easily be the one it will use. Simply because we know the iPhone 5 will have a successor, doesn't mean we know that there won't be a cheaper iPhone released later this year so it cannot be ruled out.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Granted, but It's a rumors that a lot of analysts believe will happen. If (and I mean if) it's true then this logic board could very easily be the one it will use. Simply because we know the iPhone 5 will have a successor, doesn't mean we know that there won't be a cheaper iPhone released later this year so it cannot be ruled out.

A lot of analysts believed in the iphone nano too. iRadio has also launched 4 or so times according to them, including a couple of launches of the iTV set.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.