Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
After a good five year run, the ram in my MP finally gave up this weekend. Why does this stuff always happen when there's a deadline? :confused:

What options do I have in finding good 800mhz DDR2 sticks for this machine? Seems to have been entirely replaced with DR3, and thus is becoming very hard to come by. Do I have to stay Mac specific or can I use sticks designated for a PC application? Any good known alternatives out there?

Thanks!

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Thanks! The stuff that went down was OWC and I'm awaiting a warranty replacement, but honestly I always needed more than the 6gb I had.

It absolutely has to be ECC, right?
Has anyone any experience with using a non "apple approved" heat sink?

Last edited:

rdsii64

macrumors regular
May 14, 2008
3.1 ram

After a good five year run, the ram in my MP finally gave up this weekend. Why does this stuff always happen when there's a deadline? :confused:

What options do I have in finding good 800mhz DDR2 sticks for this machine? Seems to have been entirely replaced with DR3, and thus is becoming very hard to come by. Do I have to stay Mac specific or can I use sticks designated for a PC application? Any good known alternatives out there?

Thanks!
last night I found 16 gigs of 800mhz DDR2 for 250. If shopping on Ebay isn't your thing, OWC carries ram for mac pro's all the way back to 1.1

xSinghx

Suspended
Oct 2, 2012
I would advise you to stay away from Mac Ram Direct.

I bought 32Gb of ram from them for my 2008 mac pro. The batch was bad and slowly over time had failures from it. While they did eventually replace the batch - I had too much back and forth with them and condescending attitude that I would not use them in the future. Buyer Beware!

rdsii64

macrumors regular
May 14, 2008
yes it does

Thanks! The stuff that went down was OWC and I'm awaiting a warranty replacement, but honestly I always needed more than the 6gb I had.

It absolutely has to be ECC, right?
Has anyone any experience with using a non "apple approved" heat sink?

I'm not the resident expert in the room but I believe the ram must be ECC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.