Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macman4291

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2006
right now I am just playing sound out of my TV...no surround sound, no speakers. I play a lot of music videos...I am looking the altec lansing air500 to go along with the apple TV playing...or maybe the new sonos soundbar. I have a budget of 500-700 but I want something simple

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
A soundbar is not a bad way to go if you are willing to research and find something that plays decent.

You didn't give much info on your TV and connections (wiring). One might assume that you go HDMI from you ATV to your TV set and then have the ability to output from your TV audio. Whatever your ability to use to output (optical cable as example) would help you determine what is available for a soundbar input. Just know that if you go this route, you will need an active soundbar that has a built in amplifier as opposed to passive that relies on a receiver (as example).

There are other options you could consider that are similar to computer speakers that deliver good stereo sound and sometimes simulated multi-channel. Systems like Orb offers 2 speakers and a mini-amp and sound as good as any stereo soundbar. I would suggest you check sites such as AVS forums for more info.

Skoopman

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
Get a micro system with AirPlay functionality or just a good receiver and two speakers. Better buy a good stereo system than a bad 5.1 system. I have the Pioneer X-HM71 paired with Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 speakers and it's really nice.

macman4291

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2006
I dont want a reciever...I want just powered speakers/ a soundbar/ or a nice airplay speaker to accompany the ATV. I have a 50 inch, 1080P LG TV. All my HDMI's are taken up so ideally if I did a soundbar or speakers for the TV it would have to be optical out

greg78x

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
So Cal
Curious to see what others are using as well.

I currently have a pair of Bose Companion 2 speakers on the Mac Pro and a pair of Sonos Play 3's (running in stereo) in the bedroom.

As for the TV (which I have an Apple TV connected to), I'm also considering the Sonos Playbar. Price seems a bit high, but looking forward to reading the reviews once it ships.

Sorry, I cannot contribute much, macman4291. Just thought I'd share my set up.

sensorian

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Manchester, UK
Sonos Playbar

I bought the Sonos playbar last weekend and am blown away by it. It's not the greatest sound ever without the sub-woofer and play 3's as surround speakers but the sound is really good enough for most ears mine included.

For me what makes it special is the connectivity (everything connected to the TV then the TV connected to the Playbar through a digital out) and the ease of use (The setup is an object lesson in how to make consumer devices easy to use).

I'm really impressed, it's overpriced (or premium priced as Sonos would have it) but it sits really well with my MBPr, AppleTV, IOS devices setup. Having the ability to stream anything through it from anywhere is worth the investment. In time, I will buy the Sub and the Play 3's and my audio life will be complete.....

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
I bought the Sonos playbar last weekend and am blown away by it. It's not the greatest sound ever without the sub-woofer and play 3's as surround speakers but the sound is really good enough for most ears mine included.

For me what makes it special is the connectivity (everything connected to the TV then the TV connected to the Playbar through a digital out) and the ease of use (The setup is an object lesson in how to make consumer devices easy to use).

I'm really impressed, it's overpriced (or premium priced as Sonos would have it) but it sits really well with my MBPr, AppleTV, IOS devices setup. Having the ability to stream anything through it from anywhere is worth the investment. In time, I will buy the Sub and the Play 3's and my audio life will be complete.....
Does your TV output 5.1 or just 2.1 for digital out to the Playbar? Most modern TVs seem to only support 2.1 now. And if that is the case for yours, do you think it would sound better if the Playbar was receiving the full 5.1 signal?

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
How good of sound do you want? With soundbars you are constricted to insanely small speakers which will limit the sound you are going to get. This would be my choice if you go that route.

A better option sound wise is going with a receiver and good speakers.

Receiver
Speakers
Sub

The Polk speaker often go on sale for $140 so you'd be looking at right at $700 and you'll get a lot better overall sound.

OmegaRed1723

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
The Waste
I use a pair of Audioengine A5 powered speakers with one of my TV's. No need for an A/V receiver, and the sound is more robust than that from a soundbar. I have them connected to both the TV and an Airport Express for AirPlay. The only "downside" is that your set must have a variable audio out port; otherwise, the volume cannot be controlled via the tv remote. I assume the same would hold true when using a soundbar.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
I have a pair of MartinLogan SLM speakers. Can be wall, shelf or floor mounted. Great sound from a slimline package. A little above your price range though.

pdyebrasil

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2010
Is there a reason you don't want to get a receiver? It makes it super nice because it gives you more HDMI inputs, and you only run one HDMI cable to the TV and everything else to the receiver. Better quality sound as well, if you get a good receiver and speakers.

I'm running a fairly nice Sony receiver (STR-DH810) and the Andrew Jones designed Pioneer speakers. You can't beat those speakers for the price. They sound awesome. Here's a link to the review by Audioholics: http://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/pioneer-sp-pk52fs

If you are looking to spend $500-700, a receiver + good speakers is going to give you the best quality sound, bar none. I'm not talking about "home theatre in a box" systems; you need a true receiver and good quality speakers.

I'm very happy I went that route.

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
I dont want a reciever...I want just powered speakers/ a soundbar/ or a nice airplay speaker to accompany the ATV. I have a 50 inch, 1080P LG TV. All my HDMI's are taken up so ideally if I did a soundbar or speakers for the TV it would have to be optical out

Your television has no capability to drive external speakers,
either get a receiver or give up the idea completely. Soundbars or whatever U pick requires an amp of at least 50 watts to drive it.
Televisions usually have maybe ten watts

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
I have a higher end samsung soundbar, and I kick myself that I didn't go for a home theater in a box. I miss real surround sound. The Samsung is decent for movies, but garbage for music. I have been playing through the last of us on my ps3, and it really doesn't have the same impact. I first tried the game, at a friends house on his mid range Sony setup, and it was night, and day different.

mclog

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2010
Yamaha soundbars are generally amongst the better ones you can get. At your budget, I assume you'd be able to afford the YSP-2200: Yamaha YSP-2200 - note that this unit includes both soundbar and subwoofer.

I have an older Yamaha soundbar and subwoofer and it's reasonably good.

Akaba

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2012
Is there a reason you don't want to get a receiver? It makes it super nice because it gives you more HDMI inputs, and you only run one HDMI cable to the TV and everything else to the receiver. Better quality sound as well, if you get a good receiver and speakers.

I'm running a fairly nice Sony receiver (STR-DH810) and the Andrew Jones designed Pioneer speakers. You can't beat those speakers for the price. They sound awesome. Here's a link to the review by Audioholics: http://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/pioneer-sp-pk52fs

If you are looking to spend $500-700, a receiver + good speakers is going to give you the best quality sound, bar none. I'm not talking about "home theatre in a box" systems; you need a true receiver and good quality speakers.

I'm very happy I went that route.

I would follow this route.

Personnally, I have a Sony HomeCinema-BluRay player, in a 2.1 setup to avoid the complexity of cabling; powerfull ,and nice to look at. The ATV talks to this one, and this one to the television, so I'm only using one HDMI port on the television. Thus, I get the sound where I want it. This set-up grew by accident, but it's OK; the con is that there is not really a provision to tamper with basses-high, etc (4 or5 presets only: sports, movies, music ... rather limited).
If I were to redo it, I would have a nice receiver/amplifier in the middle, hooked up to decent speakers, and everything connected to the amp, a bit the old-fashioned way; thereby I would hope to have more possibilities with the color of the sound.

FX4568

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2010
If you don't want a receiver, and want a decent 5.1, try to Z906 by logitech. It really is a pretty good computer speaker / TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.