Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tinpanalley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
No, really. It is for a friend. :)

I don't keep up enough with the iPhone fix/tech/hack scene to help her but I'm sure someone here has an opinion on this...
She bought an unlocked iPhone 5 in an Apple Store in the States, told them she lived here in France and they said she'd have no problems having it serviced here. She used it in the states for a week, no problem. Started using it with a SIM card here in Paris and after 4 days, the battery died and couldn't be revived.
Tried to restore, no luck. She went to an Apple Store in Paris who were going to replace it until they realised it was made in the US and then said she'd have to send it to them. Apple Support won't ship internationally unless she pays shipping. And so... she's stuck.

I know Android, and although I have had Apple products and know jailbreak and other such things I thought I'd ask because people who read up on this stuff daily the way I do with Android may have read about this before and have ideas.

Please let me know what you think would be some good advice for my friend or a possible fix. She's in a jam without her phone. Isn't there a COMPLETE, wipe all, reset the phone from scratch with firware kind of fix that we could try? I'm familiar with how to do stuff like that.
THanks!

Last edited:

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
No, really. It is for a friend. :)

I don't keep up enough with the iPhone fix/tech/hack scene to help her but I'm sure someone here has an opinion on this...
She bought an unlocked iPhone 5 in an Apple Store in the States, told them she lived here in France and they said she'd have no problems having it serviced here. She used it in the states for a week, no problem. Started using it with a SIM card here in Paris and after 4 days, the battery died and couldn't be revived.
Tried to restore, no luck. She went to an Apple Store in Paris who were going to replace it until they realised it was made in the US and then said she'd have to send it to them. Apple Support won't ship internationally unless she pays shipping. And so... she's stuck.

I know Android, and although I have had Apple products and know jailbreak and other such things I thought I'd ask because people who read up on this stuff daily the way I do with Android may have read about this before and have ideas.

Please let me know what you think would be some good advice for my friend or a possible fix. She's in a jam without her phone. Isn't there a COMPLETE, wipe all, reset the phone from scratch with firware kind of fix that we could try? I'm familiar with how to do stuff like that.
THanks!

yes you can reset just about everything but I dont think that is going to fix your problem if the battery is bad. Ive heard other people say you have to pay the international shipping charges for warranty work. but I dont know first hand.

tinpanalley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
Thanks.
I remember I used to buy 3rd party batteries for my iPods (3rd gen) disassemble the iPods and put the new batteries in. Can 3rd party batteries be purchased for the iPhone 5? I assume somebody must make plastic tools to get into them? Might be worth a shot.

tinpanalley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
I have an update of sorts...
My friend says she's tried restoring it several times but "the apple just keeps blinking".

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
I have an update of sorts...
My friend says she's tried restoring it several times but "the apple just keeps blinking".

resetting and restoring are two different things. she can go into settings, general, reset. then she can restet to network settings. Id try that first. if it does no good she can reset and erase all info on the phone. make sure she has a backup first so she wont lose her stuff.

tinpanalley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
resetting and restoring are two different things. she can go into settings, general, reset. then she can restet to network settings. Id try that first. if it does no good she can reset and erase all info on the phone. make sure she has a backup first so she wont lose her stuff.
She can't. She can't get it to turn on. Hence the concern about the battery being done.

tinpanalley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
You should read my first message again, the whole point of this is to avoid the overseas shipping to send it to warranty repair.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.