Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmysteel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
London, England
Hi everyone…
OK - wondered if anyone could help. Got an MKV (it's a French film - from a DVD rip)… I used to have the DVD but now can't find it.
I want to make a DVD / burn a DVD from the MKV file for my sister: she's only got an iPad, and has no laptop. I want to give her a DVD copy of the film so she can watch it on her TV.
I've got Ripit, which only goes the other way (it makes a file from the DVD), and Handbrake.
I also got miDVD, which I noticed was recommended by somebody here.
It created a nice, sharp DVD from the MKV file easily, but the subtitles are nowhere to be found on the finished DVD!
I played the newly burned DVD through my TV - there's a "subtitles" button on the DVD remote, but it didn't work... And when I put the DVD into my external USB superdrive (I'm using a 15" Retina MacBook Pro) it played fine through the the laptop DVD player, except the subtitles were definitely nowhere to be found…
I've got no separate srt file (when I play the MKV file on my Mac the subtitles are already there).
I figured I'd convert it to an MP4 using Handbrake, and all that happened then was that it reduced the file size (and added some director's commentary that I didn't even know was on the MKV…) Seems like "double handling" if I have to use Handbrake as well anyway... In the subtitles section in Handbrake you can only click "forced" or whatever if you have first chosen "track", which gives a baffling drop-down menu.
So is there a simple free DVD making programme out there that will include the subtitles? I know they're somewhere in the MKV file, because they always come up by default when I play the film in VLC (or mPlayer)…
I simply (!) want a hard copy DVD of the file… with the subtitles.
Thanks in advance!
And please excuse the long-winded post…

Joshsand

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2010
new Zealand
dvd with subtitles

I had thought the latest Handbrake release (May 13)dealt with this issue.
I did notice the ability to choose subtitles and it was in the release notes.
Have you downloaded the latest?
A while ago I had the same problem - russian/english and found a PC program that ran under parallels called Freemake Video Converter.
It allowed you to choose the inbuilt subtitle to use and burnt it in very well.

jimmysteel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
London, England
Yeah - just downloaded Handbrake yesterday.
Thanks...
Guess my issue is the "track" drop-down menu in the subtitles section. Surely "track" relates to audio?
If only there was a button that said, "include subtitle, but keep everything else the same", or a simple DVD making tool that had a "keep / force subtitles" button.
So really I guess I wish Handbrake was designed for simpletons like me :)

Joshsand

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2010
new Zealand
handbrake - subtitles

Have you tried - as an experiment
1. Make copy of film
2. In copy of film open handbrake
3. On subtitles tab - select english - under track
4. check the burned in tick box.
( if you ever had the SRT file then you would select that from drop down)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.