Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pabsmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Hi All
I'm running Mac OS 10.x on my mac book pro (not sure on the exact version). I got the thing in 2008.
recently I started hearing the hard drive..every now and again it would make some strange sounds I have never heard before... so I pretty much figured a new drive was in the works! last week, I go to to turn on my laptop... get the apple, the little wheel spins and spins...longer than usual and then I get the dreaded grey curtain coming down on my screen... it tells me I need to reboot!.
I do this (over and over) and nothing, always goes back to that screen.

so after searching online I was told to run fsck on the drive to see if it was fried or not. first time I ran it it came back with errors...ran the that scrip a couple of times until it said volume was ok... I was then able to reboot and use my machine for a couple of days...
last night , same thing happened again..the grey screen. I ran the script a bunch of times...same initial error and then it says it's all fine... but it won't boot back into my system.

I brought it to a shop last week and they ran some scans on the HS and the memory and said both were fine (as far as that test went)...

now..what I find strange is that I can't even boot from CD... I reboot and hold the C keep and nothing happens..never boots from the CD... just hangs on the apple screen for a while and they goes to the grey screen.

if my HD is fried that should not make it so that I can't boot from DC correct?

is there another check I can do??

thanks

Pablo

PerformaGuy

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2012
When you say you took it into the shop to run tests was that an Apple authorized service provider, an Apple store or something else?

When hard drives start making noises, especially repetitive click sounds, the hard drive is probably dying or going to die soon.

Ask the shop to boot your Mac off an external drive. Apple stores have these kind of external drives ready to go so they can bring up disk repair. Actually now they use a program called "MRI" that boots off their network via ethernet bypassing CD or a USB drive for booting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.