Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:01 AM   #1
raynold2010
macrumors member

Apple and the world crisis

Guys, I'm looking for some lights here.

Live in Europe, where we hear about the crisis every ******* day. Salaries cuts here, factories closing there, taxes and joblessness are ramping up, looks like the worst context in decades. In the US things are not so good too.

And Apple continues to thrive to never-seen-before levels. People are queuing for hours to spend their hard-earned cash on technology they seldom need, re-selling old iPads for new ones six months after they've been issued.

How do you make these two things correlate? I know consumerism is not always rational. But here, the discrepancy between the economic context and consumer attitude seems gigantic--just beats me.

Last edited by raynold2010; Nov 27, 2012 at 09:22 AM.
raynold2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:06 AM   #2
decafjava
macrumors 6502a

You're right, it's not rational.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apple

I think that sums it up.
decafjava is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:31 AM   #3
snberk103
macrumors 603

Or.... people aren't actually quite as badly off as the news media are depicting. There is a good reason for the politicians to preach doom&gloom... if you get people scared, you can manipulate them. It could be that there are loads of people who are doing fine, and just assume they are the exception and not part of the majority.

We've been lucky here in Canada though, so it's hard to judge first hand. Things could be as bad as the media are showing... we just don't have the 1st hand experience in the GWN.

Did you see that our Central Banker is moving to the Bank of England?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:38 AM   #4
raynold2010
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafjava View Post
You're right, it's not rational.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apple

I think that sums it up.
Yeah, it's so true. But you're from Switzerland... not a country with economic problems.

I'd like to see some sale numbers for Spain, Italy, and especially Greece. Did you hear about Apple stores closing in those crisis-ridden countries? Not me.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:57 PM   #5
smoledman
macrumors 65816

The "crisis" is overblown. 95% of college graduates are still working and they can afford expensive electronics. Don't forget Samsung is rolling in dough too.
smoledman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:40 PM   #6
decafjava
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynold2010 View Post
Yeah, it's so true. But you're from Switzerland... not a country with economic problems.

I'd like to see some sale numbers for Spain, Italy, and especially Greece. Did you hear about Apple stores closing in those crisis-ridden countries? Not me.
Well, actually I'm an ex-pat Canadian in Switzerland and yes both countries have been battered less than others in the last few years.

FWIW, I don't know the sales figures of Apple in the countries you mentioned but do know I saw relatively few smartphones and even fewer iphones when I spent a week in Greece last summer. I saw one single ipad, that one being used by an Asian tourist.
decafjava is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:38 AM   #7
RSL
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynold2010 View Post
How do you make these two things correlate? I know consumerism is not always rational. But here, the discrepancy between the economic context and consumer attitude seems gigantic--just beats me.
I see no contradiction in the fact that a few companies are doing well when the world economy is tanking. You have to make a distinction between a global phenomenon and a local phenomenon (one company). Analogy: whilst the earth is warming globally, some places are not feeling the heat.
RSL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:01 PM   #8
raynold2010
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafjava View Post
Well, actually I'm an ex-pat Canadian in Switzerland and yes both countries have been battered less than others in the last few years.

FWIW, I don't know the sales figures of Apple in the countries you mentioned but do know I saw relatively few smartphones and even fewer iphones when I spent a week in Greece last summer. I saw one single ipad, that one being used by an Asian tourist.
Thank you for the testimony !

A part of the answer is here

http://www.grreporter.info/en/there_...ts_greece/7726

Mr. Pritis, how does the crisis affect the sales of Apple products?

There is no crisis for us. The people who buy Apple products are their greatest fans and prefer them purposefully. Customers buying cell phones of some of the most popular brands do not come to our shop. They continue to buy their new products.
Our customers buy only Apple products.

What is the profile of your customers?

The range is great. From a professional point of view, they are people from those who are dealing with new technologies to lawyers, physicians and others. Of course, the majority of them have better than average financial means. In terms of age, our customers are also very different. They start from 16-year-olds who clearly do not buy the products with their own money and end at the elderly. For example, our support technician has a meeting now with a 70-year old woman who has an iPad.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion