Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:09 PM   #1
phatjoe
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: IL
Straight Talk Users in the Chicagoland area, what's the verdict??

Hello,

Good chance I will pick up an iphone 5 at walmart with their straight talk service.

My biggest concern is the service. I'm in Aurora, IL and I wanted to know if there is anyone within the area who can report on the service. Any dropped calls? How is the internet speed? Please let me know what you think...

THANKS!!
phatjoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:58 PM   #2
Satnam1989
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Illinois
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatjoe View Post
Hello,

Good chance I will pick up an iphone 5 at walmart with their straight talk service.

My biggest concern is the service. I'm in Aurora, IL and I wanted to know if there is anyone within the area who can report on the service. Any dropped calls? How is the internet speed? Please let me know what you think...

THANKS!!
unfortuntely the Straight Talk iPhone sold at Walmart is actually going to be running on Verizon network and as we all know Verizon 3G isnt the fastest....your better off buying a factory unlocked or AT&T iPhone 5 and buying a full/micro Straight Talk SIM and cutting it down to nano....why? because you will have access to AT&T HSPA+ network which offers far better speeds than Verizon's 3G ever will.

This info I am providing above is something another user on the forum confirmed for us all if you have been roaming the forum lately you would have noticed.
Satnam1989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:26 PM   #3
Bob Coxner
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satnam1989 View Post
unfortuntely the Straight Talk iPhone sold at Walmart is actually going to be running on Verizon network and as we all know Verizon 3G isnt the fastest....your better off buying a factory unlocked or AT&T iPhone 5 and buying a full/micro Straight Talk SIM and cutting it down to nano....why? because you will have access to AT&T HSPA+ network which offers far better speeds than Verizon's 3G ever will.

This info I am providing above is something another user on the forum confirmed for us all if you have been roaming the forum lately you would have noticed.
You can put a ST sim (AT&T or TMo) into the Walmart Straight Talk iPhone. You would get HSPA with an AT&T sim.
__________________
MBA i5 13/4/128, iPad 1, iPad 3, iPod Touch 5g
Bob Coxner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:45 PM   #4
Satnam1989
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Illinois
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
You can put a ST sim (AT&T or TMo) into the Walmart Straight Talk iPhone. You would get HSPA with an AT&T sim.
Can you? I dont have a verizon iPhone....you would have to turn off CDMA if you want to insert a AT&T Straight Talk SIM as the Verizon iPhone 5 would be connecting to Verizon directly via CDMA 3G (no SIM) from what I understand.

Should the buyer want to get a AT&T Straight talk SIM they would have to not activate it with Straight Talk first and instead insert a AT&T Straight Talk SIM, but wouldn't you rather just get a AT&T or Factory unlocked iPhone 5 if you are already paying the same price as you would for the Straight talk iPhone 5?
Satnam1989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:53 AM   #5
phatjoe
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satnam1989 View Post
unfortuntely the Straight Talk iPhone sold at Walmart is actually going to be running on Verizon network and as we all know Verizon 3G isnt the fastest....
Yikes! I didn't know it will be on the 3G network. It must be horribly slow. I was hoping it would be on their LTE network (or whatever it is)....I guess you get what you pay for...
phatjoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:51 PM   #6
Bob Coxner
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satnam1989 View Post
Can you? I dont have a verizon iPhone....you would have to turn off CDMA if you want to insert a AT&T Straight Talk SIM as the Verizon iPhone 5 would be connecting to Verizon directly via CDMA 3G (no SIM) from what I understand.

Should the buyer want to get a AT&T Straight talk SIM they would have to not activate it with Straight Talk first and instead insert a AT&T Straight Talk SIM, but wouldn't you rather just get a AT&T or Factory unlocked iPhone 5 if you are already paying the same price as you would for the Straight talk iPhone 5?
The Walmart iPhone 5 is simply the same Verizon iPhone 5 that you can buy off-contract at an Apple Store, except that it doesn't have a VZW nano sim installed. Without a VZW sim it runs on the VZW 3G network. Subscribe to a VZW postpaid account, add a nano sim, and you get LTE. Put in a ST AT&T sim and it turns off the CDMA and you get AT&T HSPA+ (if available in your area). Same with a TMo sim.

The lure of the Walmart iPhone 5 is mainly the ability to pay it off at $25 a month for 26 months with zero interest. Also, some people like it for the ability to run on VZW towers without a contract, even if it is 3G.
__________________
MBA i5 13/4/128, iPad 1, iPad 3, iPod Touch 5g
Bob Coxner is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Straight Talk + unlocked iPhone vs. Official Straight Talk iPhone - not equal! 1080p iPhone 51 Apr 13, 2014 05:37 AM
Just a tip for Straight Talk users- SIM trick is harder but still can be done madmaxmedia iOS 7 2 Sep 11, 2013 11:31 AM
Straight talk/Simple Mobile users iPhone 5 Jasper84 iPhone 7 Jun 8, 2013 01:14 PM
iPhone 4S on Straight Talk or Simple Mobile? In Miami Area? iPhoneP33 iPhone 3 Jan 2, 2013 11:27 PM
Question for Straight Talk users jfeeney23 iPhone 5 Jul 11, 2012 02:29 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:01 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC