Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

falterego

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
Southern California
I have a remote data center with several headless Mac Minis running Photoshop jobs on images. We need to upgrade some of our filters and other components and the requirements mean we need to do a OS upgrade from 10.5 to 10.6.

Is this something that can be done remotely using ARD? I've read a few posts about the Xserve having ARD support for similar upgrades, but I haven't been able to find anything referencing a non-server OS upgrade being done this way.

If it weren't for the 24/7 operation of the PS jobs I'd copy the DMG and follow the steps outlined for the Xserve. However, I can't risk the upgrade not working and us losing access to 1 of 5 systems for several days before we can have someone onsite to do the upgrade manually.

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
Have you checked to make sure your systems running 10.5 have enough RAM installed to run 10.6? Also have you checked to make sure those systems are on the supported list for 10.6?

If you need to put more RAM in some systems you'll have to go on-site anyway to upgrade them.

Adz76

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2011
Dagobah System
If you need to do a software update and reboot the machines I'm guessing this won't work.

Not sure if Macs POST like PCs but if they do you wont pass that as you need input devices present for the POST to be successfull.

I'd find out if they do, if they don't you should be fine.

falterego

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
Southern California
We're able to reboot them remotely on a semi-regular basis if one of the PS scripts fails, so I know they will boot into the OS, login and run the scripts with no interaction. I have confirmed that all hardware supports 10.6, they can actually go all the way to 10.8, but it is not necessary to go that far.

My primary concern is being able to access the systems once they have rebooted into the install screens. I think we're just going to hold out until someone can be onsite for the install. I'll test the ARD connection when I have someone at the facility for other tasks.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I think we're just going to hold out until someone can be onsite for the install. I'll test the ARD connection when I have someone at the facility for other tasks.

That's the smart move. Even if a dozen random strangers on the Internet told me it were possible, I'd still have someone on site. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.