Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
really debating on which i should get.
the rMBP will have 16GB Ram
its just that the 27" iMac has a wait time of 3-4 weeks so im like hummm.
i can get a used rMBP and buy a new iPad mini. i can also hook up a display to the retina.
but not sure if the rMBP can be up against the performace on the iMac.
what would you guys do?
Budget:$2400

technowar

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Cebu, Philippines
rMBP with 16GB of RAM + iPad Mini Retina LTE ofc. Well, the main reason is being portable. I could work anywhere. You can also hook it to an external monitor if you please.

I can't speak for iMac though. Sorry not much of a help.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
rMBP with 16GB of RAM + iPad Mini Retina LTE ofc. Well, the main reason is being portable. I could work anywhere. You can also hook it to an external monitor if you please.

I can't speak for iMac though. Sorry not much of a help.

every detail counts, thanks so much. i just really want to know, if im going to do heavy programming and editing which would suit me. Portability is not an issue.

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
It sounds like you may benefit more from the SSD in the retina but you didn't say HDD, hybrid, or SSD for the iMac. Also, you didn't specify which processors for each. The processors in the 13" rMBPs are dual core and there is no dedicated graphics so that may perform weakly versus a decked out iMac. Having said all of that, unless you're doing a side-by-side test with a stopwatch, you'll probably be super happy either way.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
It sounds like you may benefit more from the SSD in the retina but you didn't say HDD, hybrid, or SSD for the iMac. Also, you didn't specify which processors for each. The processors in the 13" rMBPs are dual core and there is no dedicated graphics so that may perform weakly versus a decked out iMac. Having said all of that, unless you're doing a side-by-side test with a stopwatch, you'll probably be super happy either way.

2.3GHz i7 Quad-Core 16GB ram for Macbook retina
3.4GHz i7 1TB FUSION.

the macbook im talkiking about is Retina 15"

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
If you seek raw power, the iMac wins. Since you said portability isn't an issue, iMac wins again. Personally, I'd like having the iPad around too (I have both rMBP and iPad 3) but if you don't *need* the iPad, get the iMac. Have fun!

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
RMBP 15 and iPad mini

With the laptop you can take it anywhere. Although you don't need portability now, who say you won't need portability in the future. Maybe you like to work at a desk or on the couch? The RMBP can provide that.

When it comes time to sell it to upgrade, what's going to be easier to take to starbucks? RMBP 15" or iMac 27"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.