Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage4.png
Apple today updated its iOS device configuration tool for Mac, Apple Configurator, with support for iOS 7's new set of features and restrictions. The Mac app, which was launched in early 2012, allows users to mass configure and deploy iPods, iPads and iPhones in enterprise or educational environments.

The new update enables users to allow AirDrop, Control Center and Notification Center on the lock screen, modifying account settings and connecting supervised devices to any Mac. It also allows users to configure AirPrint printers, AirPlay destinations and passwords and more.
What's new

Apple Configurator 1.4 contains improvements and bug fixes including:

- Support for new iOS 7 features and restrictions
- Allow modifying account settings
- Allow AirDrop
- Allow connecting supervised devices to any Mac
- Configure Web Content Filter
- Configure AirPlay mirroring destinations and passwords
- Configure AirPrint printers
- Configure Managed Open In
- Allow Control Center or Notification Center on lock screen
- Configure Limit Ad Tracking setting
- Install fonts
- Enroll multiple unsupervised devices in MDM without tapping each device using a new Setup tab in Prepare
- Complete setup assistant and enroll Apple TV in MDM without using the remote
- Improved UI for installing a single profile on unsupervised devices
Apple Configurator can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Apple Configurator' Updated with iOS 7 Feature Support

ufwa

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2011
I don't understand why apple can't or simply won't add better restrictions for those who use the configurator.

You're left with nearly the basic restrictions anyone can use.

I'd love to restrict the ability to set a passcode, lock the keyboard from being changed to a different language, disable wifi/bluetooth options, disable more default apps.

Top of the list for me is the passcode setting.

Luckily I only deal with 4 ipads for our practice so its not too much of a hassle. I feel sorry for some school IT guy who has to deploy 100s and gets a bunch in where students decide to mess around and set up some gibberish passcode.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I didn't know this app even existed but it's exactly what I was thinking about the other day. My Dad lives abroad and I want to be able to configure his iPad. Is this only for enterprise and education or can anybody use it?

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I'm thinking of using this to manage the family iDevices. What with old phones being handed down to the kids / kept as emergency spares / a possible iPad purchase soon, a central place to manage them all would be good.

We can't be the only family in this situation.

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
I'm thinking of using this to manage the family iDevices. What with old phones being handed down to the kids / kept as emergency spares / a possible iPad purchase soon, a central place to manage them all would be good.

We can't be the only family in this situation.

You're not.

In addition to all our iOS devices I'm also the 'admin' of our 5 MacBook Pros (2008-2013 models), 4 Steam accounts and lots of licenses for all the software we have bought.
+ I'm the go to guy for 4 other family members that I have converted to Mac+iOS.

Omg, what have we done!

Gymgenius

Suspended
Jan 29, 2010
I don't understand why apple can't or simply won't add better restrictions for those who use the configurator.

You're left with nearly the basic restrictions anyone can use.

I'd love to restrict the ability to set a passcode, lock the keyboard from being changed to a different language, disable wifi/bluetooth options, disable more default apps.

Top of the list for me is the passcode setting.

Luckily I only deal with 4 ipads for our practice so its not too much of a hassle. I feel sorry for some school IT guy who has to deploy 100s and gets a bunch in where students decide to mess around and set up some gibberish passcode.

or even allow the setting of all the various restrictions available under 'Restrictions' on iOS devices.

This would be my ideal - to have a profile which restricts everything 'just so' to put on my iPhone and iPad.

The profile would need a password to remove, so I could do so when I needed to - but inquisitive daughters or a casual thief could not!

jonnyz

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2008
Watch out if you update!

So I just installed the new version and tried to set up a WiFi profile. That worked, but when I quit the application and now try to reopen it, it crashes every time upon open.

Application Specific Information:
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '-[ACUDevicePolicySetupViewController validatesForPush]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x7ffbbc26b230'
abort() called
terminate called throwing an exception

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Don't feel too bad. The configurator will not work for those of us that deploy thousands of iPads. We use a more robust MDM. We can reset gibberish passcode within seconds.

I wonder if they fixed the profile sequence issues? Can I tell which profile loads first? We use the configurator to initially deploy our iPads with the deviceID listed on the lockscreen, supervised to prevent people from plugging them into their computers and wiping them, ect. But we use an MDM to manage them once deployed.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.