Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trvlngnrs

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
Do you mean Network data or actual storage on the device? If the former, because I use Spotify premium, most of my music that I listen to is within offline playlists. I mostly search for new music when using wi-fi.

I was referring to the network data. I thought that if a song was 10mb, it would take 10mb worth of data usage to listen to it. After reading these replies, I'm thinking I'm in error since so many people do it.

So with Spotify you download the song into your device to listen to later?

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
OP - Not 100% sure what you meant by your initial question. Are you talking about using an old iPhone as a iPod with no service after you upgrade to a new phone? Or are you asking if you should use a new iPhone as an iPod?

If the first (old iPhone with no service as iPod), that's exactly what I did, as I gave my old iPhone4 to my daughter as an iPod, but just turned off the cellular service, so it's connected to the internet only when she's on WiFi.

If you are asking the second question (use new iPhone as an iPod), well, that's the whole point of an iPhone! It's a phone and an iPod in one device (among other things). Why carry two devices? Is there a reason why you would ask if you should use a device that is a Phone and an iPod as an iPod? Are we missing something more to your question?

Sebct

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2010
London, UK.
I was referring to the network data. I thought that if a song was 10mb, it would take 10mb worth of data usage to listen to it. After reading these replies, I'm thinking I'm in error since so many people do it.

So with Spotify you download the song into your device to listen to later?

Ah ok. And yep download the songs onto my device so I don't even have to have any network signal. Good for flights, tube etc.

If I'm streaming and I like a song, I'll 'star' it and then it would automatically download to my device, and all my devices running spotify. I can then add it to a playlist when I can be bother to sort it out!

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I'm at the point where I need a new iPod, but am thinking of upgrading to a 32GB iPhone and using that as my iPod, and am wondering how many of you guys have basically done away with the need for an iPod?
I use and iPhone, an iPhone as an iPod and a couple of iPods. Does it really matter what others do or do not? Do whatever works for you.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Constantly

I'm at the point where I need a new iPod, but am thinking of upgrading to a 32GB iPhone and using that as my iPod, and am wondering how many of you guys have basically done away with the need for an iPod?

My last iPod was the 20 gig 4th generation. My 32gig iPhone5 works great as an iPod and should have gotten 64 gig.

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Thanks guys for the replies. Just got the iPhone 5, 32GB.

markthrash

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Texass
Totally the main reason I got an iPhone in the first place was so I don't have to carry 2 devices with me, especially when going to the gym or running. So I'm on a 32GB iPhone 5 right now. I have 5 gigs left though, so I might need to upgrade to a 64 soon. I keep downloading and downloading. I used to survive on an 8GB with the 3G.
:eek:

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I have always had Verizon. I used to carry my Treo and a 64GB iPod Touch, then a BBerry, and that iPod Touch, Droid Incredible, then Droid X.....and the iPod Touch. When they released the iPhone for Verizon, I was stoked that I didn't have to carry a second device all the time, I was a little disappointed at the 32GB as it forced me to not carry a portion of my collection and downgrade the files that were on it, but when they introduced the 64GB 4S, I was even happier, a pocket computer that carries my entire collection.

Now if they could pull off a 128GB 5S I will be in absolute heaven as I regularly have to keep deleting things to keep 2 gigs free.....would love to have my entire Video collection on it as well :D

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
The reason I got an iPhone was to get rid of the ipod in one pocket and the flip phone in the other. I thought that was half the point of an iPhone...

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
In the car, I use my 160GB Classic so that I can keep my iPhone in my pocket.

Plus, I bring my iPad Mini with me and my Nexus 7 to work with me every day.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who hasn't cut down on gadgets.

terrywfoster

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009
Yes and no. The 64gb iPhone is not large enough to hold what I would carry around so I use my 160gb classic iPod still.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
The reason I got an iPhone was to get rid of the ipod in one pocket and the flip phone in the other. I thought that was half the point of an iPhone...

I think the problem for the average user is that they're hearing conflicting things about how great the cloud is [spoiler alert, it's not and even if it's half as good as they claim it's still 100% dependent on data connection] and how the iPhone/smartphones in general will give you "1 awesome device to hold all your media, photos, apps, etc." Unfortunately, the former isn't robust enough for me to trust it beyond....well, actually I don't trust it at all, while the lowest storage option isn't going to get you beyond photos and apps to be realistic. Buy as big as you can for local storage, no one ever laments that they have too much space on their device. Additionally, local storage significantly boosts battery life as well an decreases data usage.

aenflex

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
FL, USA
I haven't used an iPod, or any dedicated music player in years and years. Since my first smartphone, really. Having iPhone 5, I can't see the reason for an iPod, apart from caring less about potential damage when working out or hiking or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.