Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2009
I'd buy one of those monoprice screens with a warranty maybe, but it's not the screen that concerns me! If you follow the threads on overclock.net, the more common failures are the ones where what I think is a power board inside the display fails and burns out. That, or it overheats, or they have issues with the power supply, or all of the above.

Oh yes, and since they're A-/B+ panels they might have uneven backlighting or some other color issue. OTOH, that happens with the other american brands too xD

This guy wins, what he's saying is dead-on.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't even buy one with a warranty, but if the only thing on your mind is pure price/performance ratio, it's pretty hard to beat the Koreans right now.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I would only consider a 1440P monitor w/ Displayport. The converters from MDP to Dual Link DVI are problematic at best. There was a thread here on Macrumors just a couple of weeks ago that someone started who had one of the cheap Korean panels and after trying 3 or 4 converters still couldn't get an image to stay on his cheap 1440P display. That's why I will only go with DP. The cheapest I've seen with DP on even eBay is $550 and now you aren't too far from a Dell u2713HM on sale. Seems silly to buy anything else then.

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
AH-ips is a little better than e-ips, but H-ips is
the best based on my research.

AH-IPS is just the newer iteration of H-IPS so you can't really say H-IPS is the best... E-IPS on the other hand is the budget 6-bit IPS which is a totally different story. Anyway for example the Apple Cinema Display (LM270WQ1-SDA2 H-IPS) vs a newer Dell U2713H (LM270WQ3-SLA1 AH-IPS). With how LG labels their panels the U2713H is the 3rd revision of the their H-IPS line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.