Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SR 7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
I just bought my new Momentus XT and its ready to go into my Macbook Late 08' ... I was just using time machine to backup everything and i accidenlty hit the external HD and it canceled at 88% complete so now i am trying to do it again and it says not enough space on this disk to back up so I'm sick of that headache and now would like to transfer everything from my OLD HD to the NEW one once i install Lion on it..

my question is this...using Migration assistant, how can i get EVERYTHING literally from this HD including my settings, apps, folders, files, alerts, safari tabs ANYTHING LITERALLY onto the new HD? Do i do an account transfer and it will literally copy this computer as if its the same just on a bigger HD?

thanks !

Nov 28, 2010
located
Migration Assistant / Setup Assistant information:

Or use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to make a 1:1 copy.

MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
  • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
  • 1. Getting a new HDD
  • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
  • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
  • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
how can i connect my new drive to the macbook if its not inside my macbook?
Buy an external enclosure to put the new drive in. Then clone. Then swap the drives. You're now up and running with your new drive, and your old one is now useful as an external drive for backups or additional storage.

SR 7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
is there any way to do a transfer WITHOUT an external enclosure? I already have 3 external hard drives so i don't want to make another purchase for an enclosure.

I thought migration assistant was capable of transferring everything into an external hard drive, than switching the drives out and using that external drive to put everything onto the NEW drive but apparently migration assistant is only if the 2 computers (drives) are connected at the same time.

How do people transfer everything onto an external drive, than use that external drive to put it back on the new clean HD?

akwarner

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2006
If you can free up one of the external drives (temporarily) that you already have, use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the old drive to the external, swap the drives in the MacBook, then use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the external back to the new drive now in the MacBook. It will take a bit longer than what was originally suggested since you'll be doing the clone twice, but it accomplishes the same thing.

A.

is there any way to do a transfer WITHOUT an external enclosure? I already have 3 external hard drives so i don't want to make another purchase for an enclosure.

I thought migration assistant was capable of transferring everything into an external hard drive, than switching the drives out and using that external drive to put everything onto the NEW drive but apparently migration assistant is only if the 2 computers (drives) are connected at the same time.

How do people transfer everything onto an external drive, than use that external drive to put it back on the new clean HD?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"how can i connect my new drive to the macbook if its not inside my macbook?"

Get one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=usb+sata+dock&x=0&y=0
(Many items shown, they all work the same, just pick one you like that's cheap, some are only $20-25)

One of the best accessories you'll ever buy -- very useful. You can even use it as a "bootable drive" if need be. In fact, I recommend that after you clone (CarbonCopyCloner is the best choice), that you do a "test boot" to be satisfied that it's working -before- you do the drive swap.

gatogreensleeve

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
New hard drive

Please help! I am currently running a G5 w/ two internal HDs w/ Tiger and Digital Performer on the smaller (160GB) HD. I use the 2nd bigger (280GB) HD to back up song files. I just got a new 3TB HD and Leopard and want to consolidate everything. What's the order of operations here? Here's my plan:

1. Install new HD w/ Leopard and updates.
2. Use Carbon Copy Clone to move HD1 (with Tiger and DP on it). The question is: will CCC move all the Tiger files into Leopard? Is there a conversion process or does it just take whatever transfers?
3. CCC 2nd HD into new HD w/ Leopard.
4. Use empty 2nd HD as extra backup.

I'm concerned that I can't Carbon Copy a Tiger HD onto a Leopard HD. Does this matter? Must I just copy over everything manually? Do I have to reload all the apps from discs?

I'm also concerned about keeping things in the right places so that when I open DP files it will be able to find the ancillary files attached to them.

Thanks!!

gatogreensleeve

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
It Didn't Work!

Says it can't read the disc! The new HD is there (w/ 2.7gb) but there is no icon for it on my desk top. The person who sold me the disc, Leopard 5.1, said something about needing dual layer reading? Mine doesn't say I have that. Does that mean I have to buy a DVD burner with that capability? Can I even use one of those with my computer?

Machine Name: Power Mac G5
Machine Model: PowerMac7,3
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (2.2)
Number Of CPUs: 2
CPU Speed: 2 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 6.5 GB
Bus Speed: 1 GHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.1.8f7ATA Bus:

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-107D:

Model: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-107D
Revision: A707
Detachable Drive: No
Protocol: ATAPI
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Internal

Do I just buy a new DVD-RW w/ Dual Layer? Can I get any kind? Ugh. I told her mine didn't say DL and she still said it was fine. I'm PISSED!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.