Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
I have read TONS on moving itunes to a new computer, and yet I can't get it to work.

The issue is that where my music WAS on my old computer was an external drive. I want to move it to the INTERNAL drive of my new fusion drive mac ... Please help???!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I have read TONS on moving itunes to a new computer, and yet I can't get it to work.

The issue is that where my music WAS on my old computer was an external drive. I want to move it to the INTERNAL drive of my new fusion drive mac ... Please help???!

Have you looked at this Apple Support article?

iTunes for Mac: Moving your iTunes Media folder

I did this last week; moved from internal drive to and external drive and it worked.

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
any idea why that consolidate won't work though? I'm getting the error: "Copying files failed, because you don't have permission to change your itunes media folder or a folder within it."

i have triple checked my permissions on that folder ...

----------

IOW (I wasn't clear), I can't follow the support article because that last step won't work for me (the consolidate)

----------

My folder of music shows under "sharing and permissions" "CUSTOM access" instead of showing MY username ... So that's an issue ,...

myuserid08

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
Can't you drag and drop the 'iTunes Music' folder into the 'iTunes' folder ?
That's what I do - works every time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.