Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jadAce

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
Does anyone know how I would go about calibrating the screen?

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I've been using VMWare Fusion for years because there isn't really a decent checkbook program for OSX that compares to the standard Windoze versions of Quicken.

There, I confessed. :D

There's nothing else in Windoze I use anymore.

Quicken was one reason. DvD Profiler is another Also the ability to upgrade the firmware on some of my gadgets. No Mac or iOS clients for that. Plus some work apps that require IE.

Fifteen20s

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2012
If your new to Mac and its a new machine to you, you need to ignore what WE do and get your own unbiased experience.

Put it all back to default settings, start using it and change what you don't like.

Mac is not Windows and you owe it to yourself to get the "Oh wow" new user experience where you discover what you have been missing.

jadAce

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
If your new to Mac and its a new machine to you, you need to ignore what WE do and get your own unbiased experience.

Put it all back to default settings, start using it and change what you don't like.

Mac is not Windows and you owe it to yourself to get the "Oh wow" new user experience where you discover what you have been missing.

I see what you mean. So, kind of "jump" into it, and get the intuition by myself, and figure out what works for me. Thanks a lot for your advice!

I was about to read the "Missing Manual" book for switching from Windows to Mountain Lion. Would you recommend not reading that and instead seeing if I can figure out how to do things by myself, and only use the book if totally lost?

Fifteen20s

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2012
Im new to Mac myself, less then a year.

When I first unboxed my iMac I tried to adjust and set up my Mac to be like my Windows box I had grown tired of. It did not work and I frustrated myself. And really, your on a new OS, why make it like what your leaving.

After a few days I reinstalled OSX and forced myself to just deal with it and just learn the Apple way. I have adjusted some settings but very few. OSX really is very easy to learn compared to Windows, it is something that can be done on your own without any manuals.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012

Exactly. U have the freedom to make it what u like, why follow what WE do?

If u come from Windows naturally you have "ways" of doing things, so from time u time, u will ask, how do I do this on OSX?, so u Google and find out. Don't need to do this in one seating.

I personally have a disaster recovery method (admin task) that I ported from Windows but nobody seems interested.

anotherarunan

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
London, United Kingdom (UK)
I see what you mean. So, kind of "jump" into it, and get the intuition by myself, and figure out what works for me. Thanks a lot for your advice!

I was about to read the "Missing Manual" book for switching from Windows to Mountain Lion. Would you recommend not reading that and instead seeing if I can figure out how to do things by myself, and only use the book if totally lost?

Don't read a book - learn and discover for yourself. Unlike Windows there is very little you can 'break' accidentally. If you want to know how to do something urgently - just google it.

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
Repeating the Thread Starter's question

Please be overbearing with me if this question already has been answered in the thread, without me seeing it.

But I also lack the knowledge of how to do this? Are there many ways of doing it? What parameters must/should be taken into account, and so forth?

iterva

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Sweden

Please be overbearing with me if this question already has been answered in the thread, without me seeing it.

But I also lack the knowledge of how to do this? Are there many ways of doing it? What parameters must/should be taken into account, and so forth?

When new to Apple/OSX, learning to use the search on this forum is a lifesaver, especially with this question that has been asked, answered and discussed more than a few times. Also Google works great. ;)

This might be something to get you started....

Best of luck!

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA

If you don't know why you need to do it, you don't need to do it.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Especially if you're a windows user the first thing I do is change the default trackpad settings

-disable natural scrolling (why switch your brain back and forth between two methods)
-enable tap to click (will make your trackpad last longer)
-enable two finger tap = right click (again tapping as opposed to clicking will prolong the life of your trackpad)

The trackpad is one of the best things about Apple computers so figure out what works for you and enjoy :)

Also figure out where you want the dock to be. IMHO having the dock at the bottom is very wasteful of space. I prefer it on the side and actually now I autohide the dock so all of my screen can be for apps.

Calibrate your screen. After calibration the screen almost always looks better than it did out of the box (at least in my experience).

Learn keyboard shortcuts (especially for spotlight) so you can be super efficient!

You'll have to google this but unhide the library folder. It will make your life easier later. Unlike windows on mac os you can find almost anything associated with a program by simply looking through finder (and knowing where to look). For example I needed to know where my kindle books were stored so I could convert them to another format to read on my tablet. Without access to the library that is impossible. Other examples: printer drivers, the custom calibration profile for your screen, email etc. All found in the user's library folder that apple hides by default.

I'm of the opinion that most of Apple's default settings are dumb but their computers are brilliant. You just have to tweak them a bit.

great post!

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
"How" is not the same as "Why"

If you don't know why you need to do it, you don't need to do it.

The Thread Starter and I asked HOW to perform calibration - not "why", as the post of "robvas" implies.

I simply don't understand the "robvas" post; it is not intelligible.

BTW, much more important: Thanks so much, "designs216", for your very informative, valuable and understandable post/reply.

Last edited:

jadAce

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
https://www.apple.com/why-mac/

https://kis.kellogg.northwestern.edu/Pages/SecurityTipsMac.aspx

http://macperformanceguide.com/index_topics.html

Welcome to a better user experience! That last link has some basic tips for setting up your Mac for battery/security optimization. Cheers.

Designs216, thanks a lot, all of these are great. I know we've all probably seen the "Why Mac" page on the Apple website, but it is amazing how Apple goes the extra mile to explain just why Macs are great. I've never something comparable on any company's page for Windows.

----------

I found this link yesterday on screen calibration:
http://theultralinx.com/2013/03/macbook-air-hack-screen.html

Very simple to follow along, even for a new Mac user like me.

Thanks for all of the great advice so far, everyone!

jadAce

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
Any recommendations for general software from the Mac App Store you find useful for the MBA?

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
Any recommendations for general software from the Mac App Store you find useful for the MBA?

These aren't in the App Store, but three apps I really like are SmcFanControl, MiniUsage and iStatPro. A fourth app I also like is LittleSnitch but that's because I am paranoid about hacking especially on public wifi. :D

Last edited:

Macneck

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2012
The Thread Starter and I asked HOW to perform calibration - not "why", as the post of "robvas" implies.

I simply don't understand the "robvas" post; it is not intelligible.

I guess he was just trying to say relax and enjoy your machine. No offense intended. Calibrating your monitor will not affect performance. I don't say it's unimportant, but it's not THAT important, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, after a few seconds googling around I found these:

http://mac.tutsplus.com/tutorials/customization/how-to-calibrate-your-macs-display/

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/colorsync-display/colorsync_1.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL-OZUuqr5E

I hope it helps.

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
Thanks so much!

I guess he was just trying to say relax and enjoy your machine. No offense intended. Calibrating your monitor will not affect performance. I don't say it's unimportant, but it's not THAT important, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, after a few seconds googling around I found these:

http://mac.tutsplus.com/tutorials/customization/how-to-calibrate-your-macs-display/

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/colorsync-display/colorsync_1.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL-OZUuqr5E

I hope it helps.

For me both keyboard and screen are very important parts of the computer, but I think I see what you mean:)

Anyways, thanks so much for the info!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.