Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 6, 2012, 02:37 PM   #1
pman555
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Lightbulb Which new iPad should I get? (resale value a factor)

I finally decided to get an iPad 3 and I'm very excited about it!

However, I've been considering which version to get. My music collection is over 30GB, but I wouldnt necessarily have all my music on my ipad. However, I do worry about running out of space, so I would get at least the 32GB.

Also, I was thinking that it would be nice to get the 3G/4G version, because in case I ever need the cell service, it would come in handy. Cost is not a factor here, because my mother's business would be paying for the monthly data costs. (I'm lucky, I know)

Now, if I were thinking of upgrading when the next ipad comes along, would a black 32GB 3g/4g ipad sell well in a year from now? Or would it being 3g/4g actually hurt the resale value? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks for your advice. I'm hoping to buy it tonight and pick it up tomorrow.
pman555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 02:41 PM   #2
matttye
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lincoln, England
Every iDevice sells well a year from its' release date, that's why a lot of people upgrade every year.
__________________
iPad 2 16GB Black (WiFi+3G) -- iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey.
matttye is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 02:48 PM   #3
CandyNJ66
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: USA
Yes indeed! iPads are always in high demand especially on Craigslist! You can expect a load of texts/calls minutes after you post an Ad there! You won't have any problems selling it!!
__________________
Ipad Air Space Grey 64GB Wifi
CandyNJ66 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 02:50 PM   #4
Stealthipad
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
The more memory and options like cellullar will increase the up front cost AND the resale value!
Stealthipad is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 03:15 PM   #5
squidkitten
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Colorado
I think you should go for 32G or 64G. Color is always up to preference, but I see a lot more people looking for white than black on craigslist/ebay. Having the LTE enabled iPad would up its value significantly, but because of the split in people wanting Verizon vs. AT&T, it could be a bit harder to find a buyer. Not by much though, there's not going to be a shortage of people wanting an iPad.

Tons of people resell and upgrade every year! As long as you keep your device in excellent condition, you're going to be able to sell it for a good amount no matter what.
__________________
15" 2014 rMBP 16GB/2.2GHz/256GB // Gold 64GB iPhone 6 VZW // White 32 GB iPad 3 Wi-Fi // ATV 3
squidkitten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 03:15 PM   #6
h1r0ll3r
macrumors 68040
 
h1r0ll3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Maryland
64GB/4G model. I got it because I need the oodles of storage space on my iPad. The 4G feature I'll probably use every once in awhile but I'm sure it'll be desirable for someone else down the road.
__________________
15" MBP iPad (3rd Gen) iPod Nano (6th Gen) & 160GB Classic ATV iPhone 6+
h1r0ll3r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 08:01 PM   #7
aneftp
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
The $500 base model is probably the best value/resale value risk.

You can probably sell it for $400 within the next 8 months.

If you got buy a $829 64gb/LTE model. 8 months later. It will be hard to get $729 for it. The number of buyers willing to buy a 8 month 64gb/LTE model for $729 8 months down the road is significantly less than someone looking for value at the $400 price range on the base 16gb wifi model.
__________________
(late 2012) 27 in Mac 3.2 Intel Core i5 24GB RAM 1TB fusion, mid 2013 Macbook Air 256GB SSD 8GB RAM
64GB iPhone 6 plus, 64GB iPad Air 2
aneftp is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 08:10 PM   #8
plucky duck
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
The $500 base model is probably the best value/resale value risk.

You can probably sell it for $400 within the next 8 months.

If you got buy a $829 64gb/LTE model. 8 months later. It will be hard to get $729 for it. The number of buyers willing to buy a 8 month 64gb/LTE model for $729 8 months down the road is significantly less than someone looking for value at the $400 price range on the base 16gb wifi model.
That mindset kind of holds true, I can see it. Those looking for a value are more likely to go for the lesser non-3G/LTE/4G less storage garden variety. 16GB wifi white would be a safe bet in terms of utility you get from the device and the nominal decrease in dollar after after 8-9 months. Easier to get rid of.

I am happy if I can "rent" my iPad 3 for $100 for 8mnths worth of usage, "give it away", and "rent" another new iPad 4 down the road. Think of it as a lease.
plucky duck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 01:13 AM   #9
omyard
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by plucky duck View Post
That mindset kind of holds true, I can see it. Those looking for a value are more likely to go for the lesser non-3G/LTE/4G less storage garden variety. 16GB wifi white would be a safe bet in terms of utility you get from the device and the nominal decrease in dollar after after 8-9 months. Easier to get rid of.

I am happy if I can "rent" my iPad 3 for $100 for 8mnths worth of usage, "give it away", and "rent" another new iPad 4 down the road. Think of it as a lease.
That's the way I look at it. People think it's insane that I always "need" the newest iPad, but I tell them I'm out $100, $200 tops each year because I sell the old one.
omyard is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 02:32 AM   #10
johnparjr
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by omyard View Post
That's the way I look at it. People think it's insane that I always "need" the newest iPad, but I tell them I'm out $100, $200 tops each year because I sell the old one.
That's what I do this years upgrade cost me $300 for 2 new iPads after I sold our older ones
johnparjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 04:53 AM   #11
MacAttacka
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman555 View Post
I finally decided to get an iPad 3 and I'm very excited about it!

However, I've been considering which version to get. My music collection is over 30GB, but I wouldnt necessarily have all my music on my ipad. However, I do worry about running out of space, so I would get at least the 32GB.

Also, I was thinking that it would be nice to get the 3G/4G version, because in case I ever need the cell service, it would come in handy. Cost is not a factor here, because my mother's business would be paying for the monthly data costs. (I'm lucky, I know)

Now, if I were thinking of upgrading when the next ipad comes along, would a black 32GB 3g/4g ipad sell well in a year from now? Or would it being 3g/4g actually hurt the resale value? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks for your advice. I'm hoping to buy it tonight and pick it up tomorrow.
1. Get the biggest capacity you can afford.
2. The earlier you sell the higher the value. Dont try to sell it the launch week of iPad 4 and then cry like some of the babies here because its lost value. I got 95% of my resale value as I sold pre-Christmas.
3. If you want a guaranteed minimum hit then get the 16GB model as its close to the floor price anyway.
MacAttacka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 05:52 AM   #12
d0vr
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthipad View Post
The more memory and options like cellullar will increase the up front cost AND the resale value!
I understand why you would think that, but my experiences say that you are wrong. People want a bargain when buying second hand. The fact you splashed out on the biggest capacity and cellular capabilities when first purchasing it means nothing to a second hand buyer. They care that it's second hand, which means cheap.

You won't make your money back on the extra features you are buying. For resell value alone, you want a 16/32gb wifi model. People seem to pay a tiny bit more for white as well for some reason (not sure why other than perhaps more people buy black, so there is less of them? - I'm only speculating there though.)
__________________
I blame iOS auto corect for all speiling and gamatical erors, even those not tiped on an iOS devise.
d0vr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 06:58 AM   #13
Stealthipad
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdover View Post
I understand why you would think that, but my experiences say that you are wrong. People want a bargain when buying second hand. The fact you splashed out on the biggest capacity and cellular capabilities when first purchasing it means nothing to a second hand buyer. They care that it's second hand, which means cheap.

You won't make your money back on the extra features you are buying. For resell value alone, you want a 16/32gb wifi model. People seem to pay a tiny bit more for white as well for some reason (not sure why other than perhaps more people buy black, so there is less of them? - I'm only speculating there though.)
I guess me, not being able to put myself in the "bargain" mode, you are right. I still DO think that the bargain hunter would like to have all these extra features, but like you said, maybe they can afford them.
Stealthipad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:27 PM   #14
Copperbtm
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Which new iPad to buy?

I think this is of course a matter of personal opinion, but I have so say I've been very happy that I went with the 32gb. It is big enough to fit everything I need with the advent of iTunes Match and iCloud. Because WiFi has become so ubiquitous, you just don't need to save as much content to your device. Things as changing radically even compared to last year. Of course to each his own, but I don't think it's worth the money. I think you'll get just as much resale on a 32gb as a 64gb. Resale is more about condition than size.

What helped me decide:

http://www.amazon.com/iPad-Reviews-Size
Copperbtm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:40 PM   #15
The Game 161
macrumors 601
 
The Game 161's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Ipad 2 used are still going for 230-250.
The Game 161 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:04 PM   #16
davideotape
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by plucky duck View Post
That mindset kind of holds true, I can see it. Those looking for a value are more likely to go for the lesser non-3G/LTE/4G less storage garden variety. 16GB wifi white would be a safe bet in terms of utility you get from the device and the nominal decrease in dollar after after 8-9 months. Easier to get rid of.

I am happy if I can "rent" my iPad 3 for $100 for 8mnths worth of usage, "give it away", and "rent" another new iPad 4 down the road. Think of it as a lease.
i never did that before this year and i might stick to this but im still not sure. i sold my 32g ipad 3 for $470, picked up the same size ipad 4 for $540 at best buy- $570 after tax, so effectively $100 for a processor upgrade.

its still about $12 month or so for 8 months of "rental", and i also gave away a lot of AV adapters and sync cords with the sale because i didnt need them w/lightning, so depending on the specs and the price i can get i'd still have to want the new version very much.
davideotape is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:07 PM   #17
plucky duck
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
iPad 4 16GB wifi is going for $469 at Staples. There's a $50 coupon to bring it down to $419. Can't beat that. Helps when it comes time to resell as you won't feel the ding as much.
plucky duck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:10 PM   #18
davideotape
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by plucky duck View Post
iPad 4 16GB wifi is going for $469 at Staples. There's a $50 coupon to bring it down to $419. Can't beat that. Helps when it comes time to resell as you won't feel the ding as much.
wow yeah if you can swing that im sure you could sell it in a year for almost what you paid for it (not including tax)
davideotape is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad: The new iPad form factor Appl3FTW iPad 8 Sep 29, 2014 12:05 PM
iPad: iPad 5 form factor is going to be an issue 3lite iPad 3 Oct 7, 2013 11:56 AM
iPad: Ipad 5 form factor Samtb iPad 11 Sep 15, 2013 10:24 AM
iPad: Oh hell yes! Ipad 5 in ipad mini form factor and thickness! Zellio iPad 3 Aug 24, 2013 05:02 PM
If price was NOT a factor, and both ipad and iPad mini cost the same. Millionaire2K iPad 2 Oct 23, 2012 09:03 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:01 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC