Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imthekingbk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
My new mac mini wont identify an ssd when I go into disk utility, any ideas on how to fix this problem?

Thanks!

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
dude i just bought a quad core mac mini today and tried to add a samsung 830 and the ssd would not be reconized first of all sitting the ssd in place was such a pain. i took the mini apart like 4 times and with bad eyesight i was stressin on it but i came to solution...returning it! so i did i think i had messed up the sata connector somehow but im glad its over i dont even want to look at a mini again.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
dude i just bought a quad core mac mini today and tried to add a samsung 830 and the ssd would not be reconized first of all sitting the ssd in place was such a pain. i took the mini apart like 4 times and with bad eyesight i was stressin on it but i came to solution...returning it! so i did i think i had messed up the sata connector somehow but im glad its over i dont even want to look at a mini again.

This reason (bad eyes) along with my wife retiring (less spare time for myself) are the 2 reasons that I am going to slowly end my mac mini upgrade business.

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
Working inside small machines is very delicate work. If you aren't entirely sure of your abilities, it's best to have Apple do the install.

I've installation of second hds in the mini twice. Both times it was a complete success. It takes hours to make sure you do it correctly and to give yourself ample time to check connections. Bad eyesight would probably disqualify you from being able to perform such an upgrade successfully.

Remember, you were doing work that you're not supposed to be able to perform on the mac mini. Failure is what Apple expects in user upgrades to hard drives in the mini. Basically, what likely occurred is that you did not have the cables connected properly.

Reactions: Celerondon

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"My new mac mini wont identify an ssd when I go into disk utility, any ideas on how to fix this problem?"

Two suggestions follow.

SUGGESTION #1:
If you opened the Mini, and installed the SSD in "the open space" (i.e., you left the HDD in its original location), SWITCH THE POSITIONS of the two drives, so that the SSD is in the position that the HDD was in (as it came from the factory). Any better?

SUGGESTION #2:
Get either an external enclosure or USB3/SATA docking station. Take the SSD BACK OUT of the Mini, and mount it in the external dock or enclosure. Any better?

Yes, I know it's a pain re-opening the MIni. But you may need to try either of these (perhaps both) to get things working.

I use an Intel 520 SSD with my Mini as an "external booter". The Mini recognized it from the get-go because I used an external USB3/SATA dock to mount/initialize/install.

Non-Euclidean

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2012
Houston, TX
When I did my upgrade, my SSD wasnt recognized either. It turned out it was just the SATA cable to the motherboard, not connected. So I just needed to pop off the cover, and the fan shroud, and reattach it.

falterego

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2008
Southern California
When I did my upgrade, my SSD wasnt recognized either. It turned out it was just the SATA cable to the motherboard, not connected. So I just needed to pop off the cover, and the fan shroud, and reattach it.

I just had this same issue upgrading two 2011 Minis to SSDs. One of the connectors didn't seem to line up and I found that the pegs on the side of the drive weren't seated correctly in the two corresponding slots. I reseated the drive and reconnected and have had no issues since.

I'd check for proper seating of the drive and a cable disconnect. I've done a few dozen drive swaps in the 2011/2012 minis and they always give me some trouble with those damn pegs.

sjlukacs

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2017
I am very good with the delicate work and cables, PCBs, and ribbons of a Mac Mini. It is very tedious. My Mac mini 2,1 (2007) booted from a USB bootable OS X Lion installation did not recognize my SSD either, even with double checks on all of the connections and cables and such. until... ... .

until I formatted the SSD in my other Mac. of course in Disk Utility it is called Erase and I just did the standard Mac drive format.

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Jul 14, 2016
"Gee...I opened up my Mac Mini to install a product never designed for the Mac...what could possibly go wrong...he said"
I have a 2011 Mac Mini...my Apple hard drive works just fine...not one complaint....if something is NOT broken...why fix it?

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2016
01000011 01000001
"Gee...I opened up my Mac Mini to install a product never designed for the Mac...what could possibly go wrong...he said"
I have a 2011 Mac Mini...my Apple hard drive works just fine...not one complaint....if something is NOT broken...why fix it?

I've installed numerous SSDs in mac's that they "weren't meant for". It's not that the mac's didn't work they just happened to work exponentially faster with the upgrade of an SSD. It is very common practice to update computers that shipped with HDDs with SSDs.

I also don't think you understand how to use quotation marks as I certainly didn't see that written by the OP or any other poster.

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Jul 14, 2016
I've installed numerous SSDs in mac's that they "weren't meant for". It's not that the mac's didn't work they just happened to work exponentially faster with the upgrade of an SSD. It is very common practice to update computers that shipped with HDDs with SSDs.

I also don't think you understand how to use quotation marks as I certainly didn't see that written by the OP or any other poster.
I used the quote as if a person was talking...don't be so sensitive....you know...you can take the engine out of your car and put in a bigger engine...I have read many posts on line like this and then all the problems happen and the backyard Teen cannot understand why he has problems....he would say " gee my pal put a 5.0 V8 in his Mustang and had no problems like I am having putting in the V8 in my Camaro"

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
If you have doubts about you abilities, get an external drive caddy. External USB3 isn't quite as fast as internal SATA, but 430mB/ R, 390mB/S W is no slouch compared to that 5000 rpm spinner inside the case.

Reactions: Celerondon

chulavistaMac

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2018
Just finished this upgrade with Samsung 500GB SSD on a 2009 vintage Mac Mini. A couple of tips:

1. When seating the drive, use the tip of your torx screwdriver to in the exposed mounting holes on the drive to give leverage to seat the pins in their mounting holes inside the case

2. Make sure you have reattached the SATA cable to the board. If it is hard to reattach, you probably don't have the drive seated correctly. (You won't see the drive in Disk Utility)

3. Make sure the RAM is reseated correctly (System just has quiet beeping sound and won't start)

4. Make sure the WiFi antenna is connected before putting the shield back in place (Poor/No wifi after starting)

Everything is tight and small. You will require the right tools and very good lighting to see everything clearly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.