Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pngwyn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
So my desk is really shoddy, I'm preparing to buy a new one for the new 27" iMac. I haven't ever owned an iMac or a screen this large so I'm not entirely sure which desk I should get.

Here are the two I'm looking at, any suggestions on which I should go for? I like the one with the raised platform, but I think with a 27" it might be too high? Any input appreciated!

3G93I23Jf5Lf5K85Mdcbj8c19b4a06e161b83.jpg

~Width: 30"
~Depth: 20"
~Height: 28"

3E43o13Hf5L65E15H8ccdf7b10f6ffd061700.jpg

~Width: 56"
~Depth: 20"
~Height: 29"

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
The extra height might be too high.

As for the second desk a friend of mine has it and it is very narrow as far as depth goes.

I'd check out the Galant series from IKea. more expensive but more room.

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
The extra height might be too high.

As for the second desk a friend of mine has it and it is very narrow as far as depth goes.

I'd check out the Galant series from IKea. more expensive but more room.

I second the Ikea Galant series. I'm actually eyeing one of the corner desks with a side extension. The corner gives a lot of depth to put the monster 27" back far enough to not feel overwhelmed by the size.

Here's an image of that Galant corner desk with an iMac and MBP on it.

https://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=168209&d=1240502493

Last edited:

sdinsider23

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2004
San Diego, CA
I have that second desk you pictured and it is way too narrow for the 27in iMac, i use it for my laptop and that is the only size I think would work on it.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I would say as large as you can accommodate. If you are ever planning on anything further being on the desk you will need the room. I have an iPad, iPhone, printer and keyboard at my desk plus my 27". If I had not thought about that in the beginning, then I would have had to purchase a larger desk down the road. Think about the future and what that desk will hold.

Pngwyn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
I kind of need a space efficient desk as my room is somewhat small. I'm thinking it just needs to be over 27" wide and the depth of the desk is really what matters..? The height of the monitor is typically good with any desk and it doesn't need to be raised/lowered typically?

Last edited:

DMJG

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2008
The second one

I'd go for the bottom one; the top one has no place for your legs. It looks like a media cabinet, not a desk.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Both suck, as for a good work-posture your desk surface may be a maximum of 5-7cm thick including support structure. Otherwise your legs are in bad position, and you will get RSI, backache, hemiroids or other injuries.
Depth is also too little. You need 30 inch at least to put the screen at a comfy distance.

oldgeezer

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
Maryland
I work at a built in desk in the kitchen. 24" deep by 42" wide. I would really like to have 30" depth though the width is fine. I built a narrow shelf underneath for my Raid array, UPS, DSL modem, and a couple of external drives. This leaves enough space on the desk for work papers, keyboard, and room to move the mouse -- although I'm switching to the trackpad for my new 27. Printers are all wireless (laser jet, color ink jet, and Epson Photo R3000.)

Pngwyn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
So are people generally happy with the height of the 27" monitors sitting on the same level as the desk? I'm mostly trying to decide if I want to get a raised/lowered platform for the iMac. I'm just worried because of lack of adjust-ability of iMacs..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.