Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
USA
What I'm looking for is an easy way to do graphics without having the load up Xcode and actually compile etc.

Is there an interactive console of sorts for something like Ruby or Python that will let me pop open a canvas type window and draw to it? Maybe I should just be looking at something in Javascript with Chrome's console or Firebug?

Bitmaps would be fine but lineart would be great. Just want to wrap it around some loops and such.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
USA
What is your end goal?

There are many graphics apps like Pixelmator or Photoshop.

If you want to include graphics code in an app via a drawing, the check out PaintCode.

Remember how in QBASIC you could just do stuff like

Code:
screen 13

for i = 1 to 100
  moveto 0,0
  lineto 100, i
next i
Just want to play around with some algorithms/formulas for drawing and rotating shapes and maybe play with fractals too.

I know a little bit of Quartz2D and OpenGL but I don't want to go through the hassle of doing a project in Xcode.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Remember how in QBASIC you could just do stuff like ...

There are several BASIC interpreters which include graphics commands that run on current OS X Macs. Some open source. There's even a half dozen or so in the iOS App Store.

You could also look for Python, Logo or Smalltalk/Squeak/Scratch/Alice type apps.

There's also JavaScript canvas drawing capability right inside Safari/Chrome/etc.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
USA
There are several BASIC interpreters which include graphics commands that run on current OS X Macs. Some open source. There's even a half dozen or so in the iOS App Store.

You could also look for Python, Logo or Smalltalk/Squeak/Scratch/Alice type apps.

There's also JavaScript canvas drawing capability right inside Safari/Chrome/etc.

Yea, I ended up getting this book:

S09BFcQ.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.