LifeProof Frē iP5 case - Page 51 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Sep 30, 2013, 10:43 AM   #1251
tdf1974
macrumors newbie

LP support was no help by email, I got a generic response telling me to take the case back if I thought items were missing. That wasn't even my question, oh well. This new case got all wavy on me overnight and newtons galore... maybe it's the high humidity in my area. I decided to buy a 3rd case direct from Lifeproof, discovered they're running 25% off the fre, so I'll probably just return the ones to Wal Mart and Best Buy since neither are really to my satisfaction. It will be interesting to see if the one direct from LP has the tethered jack plug.
tdf1974 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2013, 01:01 PM   #1252
Seniordan
macrumors regular

I dunno if it has been posted yet, but the LifeProof for iPhone 5 is on sale for $40 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Lifeproof-iPho...proof+iphone+5

Edit

Upon reading reviews, it appears these are apparently fake LifeProof. I dunno.
Seniordan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2013, 03:36 PM   #1253
tdf1974
macrumors newbie

Actually that one is sold by Amazon, not a 3rd party seller so it should be legit. Nice find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seniordan View Post
I dunno if it has been posted yet, but the LifeProof for iPhone 5 is on sale for $40 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Lifeproof-iPho...proof+iphone+5

Edit

Upon reading reviews, it appears these are apparently fake LifeProof. I dunno.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 07:16 AM   #1254
aalu91
macrumors member

Would love to know if anyone else has had this experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf1974 View Post
Update on my case, the newton issue became terrible, after about a week the screen cover got very wavy. I exchanged it at Best Buy and the new one was a wavy mess right out of the box. Tonight I was at Wal-Mart and found a black Fre case under a whole new set of numbering from what have been seeing, first 2 letters were not LP they were JP. I decided to give it a shot, and my first thoughts after I sliced it open were I had just purchased a fake from an authorized reseller. There was no yellow sticker on the back, no printing on the backside of the home screen insert in the case, and the booklet is different... French and English in 1 book, made of thin paper and the print quality isn't all that great. The box is identical, can't find any discrepancies there. There was no extra headphone cover or attachment for it on the headphone adapter which really threw up a red flag but the reason quickly became clear... the headphone port cover is tethered to the case like the Nuud! (I've attached a pic) I think what I have got my hands on is the latest revision of the Fre, they've cut costs by tethering the headphone jack and reducing the printed material included in the package. I shall be contacting Lifeproof to verify but so far this case is great. The screen is perfect, calls are good, and it passed the water test.
aalu91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 07:37 PM   #1255
aalu91
macrumors member

Just to let you guys know...I called lifeproof and they are indeed updating the FRE case to have the tethered headphone plug. I would suggest everyone to find that version as it seems like it solves a lot of the previous version's problems
Old Oct 1, 2013, 09:00 PM   #1256
thiswho
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalu91 View Post
Just to let you guys know...I called lifeproof and they are indeed updating the FRE case to have the tethered headphone plug. I would suggest everyone to find that version as it seems like it solves a lot of the previous version's problems
Aahh! I just exchanged my case today for a new one at REI. Didn't see any of the new ones though I wonder if I give them a call if they would send one of the new ones out? Like an exchange?
thiswho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 09:40 PM   #1257
aalu91
macrumors member

I called and they said they have no way to send the updated case so they couldn't guarantee I would get a new version

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiswho View Post
Aahh! I just exchanged my case today for a new one at REI. Didn't see any of the new ones though I wonder if I give them a call if they would send one of the new ones out? Like an exchange?
Old Oct 2, 2013, 06:04 PM   #1258
tdf1974
macrumors newbie

If you're shopping retail the serial # on the back of the box for the updated black case starts with JP instead of LP. I jumped on the $40 deal at Amazon (I figured at that price it couldn't hurt to have a spare) and they shipped me the updated version, it arrived today. The case I'm currently using would be 100% perfect if I could get rid of the slightly raised wrinkle in the screen cover, it lays perfect except for that one slight ridge in the middle which makes playing Candy Crush or trying to type some characters rather annoying. I really hope it will settle out in a few more days.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 06:14 AM   #1259
thiswho
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalu91 View Post
I called and they said they have no way to send the updated case so they couldn't guarantee I would get a new version
Emailed them and got the exact same response :/

Looks like I'll be RE-Returning the case to REI in a month or so when the new ones start showing up lol.
thiswho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 01:59 PM   #1260
stephen1108
macrumors 6502a

I just got a red LifeProof today from AT&T and the serial on the back of the box starts with LB, not LP or JP... Any word on these?
stephen1108 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 09:16 PM   #1261
Hurley82989
macrumors member

for those of you with the newest version of the fre and the tethered headphone cover:

do any headphones other than the stock apple ones work without the adapter? i'm talking about headphones like the bose ie2 or the klipsch s4 which have very narrow plugs but just not quite as narrow as the stock ones.

my current fre headphone adapter is driving me nuts. the music sounds like it's skipping anytime i jostle the cord.
Hurley82989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2013, 07:06 AM   #1262
tdf1974
macrumors newbie

The headphone port is identical on the the tethered and untethered cases, in fact you could easily add the tethered cover to any fre as the case hasn't changed, the tether just attaches to the place molded for a lanyard.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 08:35 AM   #1263
Hurley82989
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf1974 View Post
The headphone port is identical on the the tethered and untethered cases, in fact you could easily add the tethered cover to any fre as the case hasn't changed, the tether just attaches to the place molded for a lanyard.
thanks for this.

just an fyi for everyone else- at least for my fre (purchased directly from lifeproof some time ago), there is a slight lip just above the actual iphone headphone jack opening. because of that lip, none of my headphones (even with the skinniest ends) will fit without using the supplied adapter. the adapter works, but can cause "skipping" in the music if you are doing anything active. supposedly the stock apple headphones will fit but i do not have a pair on hand to test this.
Hurley82989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2013, 08:36 AM   #1264
sl33py
macrumors newbie

I currently have a protector on the front, back, and sides of my iphone 5; I was wondering if it will compromise the function of the lifeproof case? I understand and I have read what others have said on removing everything off the phone, but if possible, I would really like to keep it .
sl33py is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2013, 06:09 PM   #1265
aalu91
macrumors member

It will not compromise the case...

And btw, for anyone interested, the tethered headphone plug is detachable, and can be added to any preexisting case. If anyone knows where to buy these tethered plugs, let me know!
Old Oct 16, 2013, 09:21 PM   #1266
iLive an iLife
macrumors newbie

I've been looking all night for an answer about the tethered headphone cover. So glad I thought to log on here before turning in for the night. I also jumped on the Lifeproof bandwagon again (I had a Fre several months ago that was horrendous and a Nuud that no one could here me on - exchanged it 3 times before calling it quits).

Case arrived tonight and I was sure it was a knockoff (even though it was Shipped and Sold by Amazon). So happy to hear that this is another updated batch of cases and hopefully their best yet! I was expecting a case from their first batch (hence the $40 price tag). Happy to hear that isn't the case! Can't wait to give this a try.
iLive an iLife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2013, 10:39 AM   #1267
tdf1974
macrumors newbie

The only issue I've noted with the tethered cover is that I have to remove it completely to use the Lifejacket, holster, armband, etc. with the headphone adapter. I do most of my music through Bluetooth anyway, and my Nano is my main music player so not a deal breaker.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 12:12 PM   #1268
faiz23
macrumors 6502

I got the fre for FREE and it is horrible to use as a daily case. Picked up a nuud and that one is much much better. Using it for 2 weeks without any issues or complains. The only time it was a problem for people to hear me was when the phone was not placed properly in the case and gasket was causing a muffle. I place the mic/port end first into the case and then the power button area last to make sure it is seated properly.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories