Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

View Poll Results: Would you like Apple to release a hybrid MacBook/iPad?
Yes 31 43.66%
No 27 38.03%
I'm not sure / I don't know 13 18.31%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:23 PM   #51
skaertus
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
skaertus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Brazil
Quote:
Originally Posted by isephmusic View Post
I actually think about this a lot. I bought a 15 inch MacBook and to me that's a lot of money. No laptop should ever cost this amounts. But it's so useful and portable. For me people need mobile workstations and then their media device that's not a phone. It used to be an iPod or psp/gameboy but now as we grow we want a tablet that can do what laptops can. And tablets are just an intermediate phase. They will soon die out once any laptop can have the screen detach Yet remain light, have a USB and micro SD and even have its own ten hour battery life. Were not far from it and I don't want to buy anything just yet
I don't know if tablets will die out or not.

Tablets were a forgotten thing until Apple released the iPad in 2010. Then they suddenly became hot. But the iPad is the only really successful product in the genre; all the other ones are wannabes. At least some of these other tablets have to prove successful before we can call "tablets" a market segment. Right now, there's iPad, a product from Apple. I am waiting until the offerings from other companies, running Windows and Android gain some market share so the segment is well established.
__________________
15-inch Retina MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz (early 2013) | 13-inch MacBook 2.4 GHz (early 2008) | 32 GB new iPad wi-fi + cellular | 16 GB iPhone 5
skaertus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:00 PM   #52
palpatine
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: May 2011
The tablet has been around for years, and is well-established, but whether we attach a keyboard and call it a clamshell computer or not seems like a minor question to me. In some ways I can do far more on my iPad than I could on a computer five years ago, so what will happen in another five years? It's hard to say, but I don't think hybrids or yogas are it.

Imagine, for example, a 9" color e-ink screen tablet that weighs about as much as an iPod, and has a battery that lasts days or weeks. The tech already exists. It isn't ready for prime time yet, even though e-readers with the potential are floating around.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/09/q...lorious-1080p/

I guess what I am saying is that something like the Transformer (detachable keyboard) or Surface with this tech and a Haswell processor will have gone so far beyond what we have now that "hybrid" seems inadequate. I'm guessing that Apple and others will have some pretty exciting stuff for us in the coming years.
palpatine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:41 PM   #53
skaertus
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
skaertus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Brazil
Quote:
Originally Posted by palpatine View Post
The tablet has been around for years, and is well-established, but whether we attach a keyboard and call it a clamshell computer or not seems like a minor question to me. In some ways I can do far more on my iPad than I could on a computer five years ago, so what will happen in another five years? It's hard to say, but I don't think hybrids or yogas are it.

Imagine, for example, a 9" color e-ink screen tablet that weighs about as much as an iPod, and has a battery that lasts days or weeks. The tech already exists. It isn't ready for prime time yet, even though e-readers with the potential are floating around.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/09/q...lorious-1080p/

I guess what I am saying is that something like the Transformer (detachable keyboard) or Surface with this tech and a Haswell processor will have gone so far beyond what we have now that "hybrid" seems inadequate. I'm guessing that Apple and others will have some pretty exciting stuff for us in the coming years.
Google Glass, maybe?

The problem I see with several of these hybrid designs is that they employ mechanical parts to make the laptop convert into a tablet and vice-versa. These mechanical parts break and are usually poor-implemented solutions. I think these hybrids/convertibles have some way to go before a great design is reached. Anyway, I guess tablets and laptops will still be around in 5 years, and some hybrids too. While I agree that computers may get even more mobile in the future, large screens are a requirement for some productivity tasks.
__________________
15-inch Retina MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz (early 2013) | 13-inch MacBook 2.4 GHz (early 2008) | 32 GB new iPad wi-fi + cellular | 16 GB iPhone 5
skaertus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:46 PM   #54
53kyle
macrumors 6502a
 
53kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninermac View Post
Ah man... Apple needs to leave intel architecture and go to ARM... I'd love to have something like the ASUS Transformer where when it's docked I get a more desktop OS look (OS X) and then I pull the screen off and have a total tablet interface (iOS). That would be the best of both worlds, for me at least... and make it look like an Air when docked.
I agree, apple should just make all of their laptops this way and have the docking station with keyboard, trackpad, ports, processor, etc transmit to the screen wirelessly and make an ultra thin tablet that can be a powerful laptop
__________________
 13" MacBook Pro, 2.9 GHz i7, 8 GB RAM, 750 GB;
 Mac Mini, 1.42 GHz PPC G4, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB;
 White iPad 3, WiFi + 4G LTE, 64 GB;
 Red iPod Touch 5th Gen, 32 GB;
53kyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:56 AM   #55
tensiondeadache
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Southern California
No, Apple doesn't need to copy Microsoft. Can someone explain why I would buy a $500 Surface when I can get the Asus Vivobook (touch screen/500GB HD) for the SAME PRICE?? I see the novelty of these W8 devices wearing off quickly. I do want a Samsung Chromebook though to complement my MBP.
tensiondeadache is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:37 AM   #56
Uofmtiger
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Memphis
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephewc View Post
You have to keep in mind that Microsoft is mostly a software company at heart. Yes the Surface RT and Pro are Microsoft products, but other companies are allowed to take the OS and create their own products.
One of the things I don't like about the Surface is the OS. It has an inelegant way of taking you from "Metro" to "classic" desktop. You click on excel, for example, and you are transported from "Metro" to "Classic". Then when you get ready to type something, you have to click on the keyboard icon rather than just clicking on the cell. I find it clunky.

Until you can click a button for running all apps in Metro or Classic, I think it will have issues. When I am at work, I want classic. When I am on a tablet, I want "Metro". I don't want to see the other desktop unless I ask for it.

The other issue is getting the full experience, which is not possible with RT.

Quote:
Can someone explain why I would buy a $500 Surface when I can get the Asus Vivobook (touch screen/500GB HD) for the SAME PRICE??
I am not sure what the Asus weighs, but it seems that people are wanting something that weighs the same or less than an iPad and runs a desktop operating system. I have no interest in such a device. The main reason I bought an iPad was because it ran iOS. I had never owned a Mac at that point, but I did have an iPhone.

I have a Remote Desktop app (Splashtop Remote) when I want to see my Mac or PC on my tablet.
__________________
iPhone 4S
2011 27 inch iMac
2011 15 inch MBP
and bunch of other stuff.

Last edited by Uofmtiger; Nov 7, 2012 at 09:53 AM.
Uofmtiger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 06:51 AM   #57
skaertus
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
skaertus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Brazil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uofmtiger View Post
One of the things I don't like about the Surface is the OS. It has an inelegant way of taking you from "Metro" to "classic" desktop. You click on excel, for example, and you are transported from "Metro" to "Classic". Then when you get ready to type something, you have to click on the keyboard icon rather than just clicking on the cell. I find it clunky.

Until you can click a button for running all apps in Metro or Classic, I think it will have issues. When I am at work, I want classic. When I am on a tablet, I want "Metro". I don't want to see the other desktop unless I ask for it.

The other issue is getting the full experience, which is not possible with RT.
The thing with the two interfaces is pretty weird indeed, but I think I can get used t it.

However, the fact that Windows RT does not provide the full Windows experience is sort of a deal breaker. It runs Office, though.

Quote:
I am not sure what the Asus weighs, but it seems that people are wanting something that weighs the same or less than an iPad and runs a desktop operating system. I have no interest in such a device. The main reason I bought an iPad was because it ran iOS. I had never owned a Mac at that point, but I did have an iPhone.

I have a Remote Desktop app (Splashtop Remote) when I want to see my Mac or PC on my tablet.
The Asus Vivo Tab weighs even less than the Microsoft Surface, not considering the keyboard. With the keyboard, the Asus weighs more. A comparison may be found here: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2411428,00.asp
__________________
15-inch Retina MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz (early 2013) | 13-inch MacBook 2.4 GHz (early 2008) | 32 GB new iPad wi-fi + cellular | 16 GB iPhone 5
skaertus is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC