Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
I just got Subler to work in 10.8, with the addition of a codec add-on file that apparently was missing.

Sadly, all I was able to do with Subler was to do a soft-code of my .srt. I can do the same with MKVToolnix anyhow. So even with the Forced option set to "All samples are forced" and selected the .srt track under Forced track, the output m4v didn't have the subs burned in, they were only soft-coded in. Back to square one. :cool:

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
srt's cannot be "hard burned" into an mp4 or mkv without ocr.
its gonna have to be a soft sub.
Hb or subler can embed them as a 3gpp text sub.

Edit: "hard burned" indicates a burned in sub to the video track, you can not turn it on or off. it gets burned into the video track as a bitmap. srt's are text files hence the need for ocr to even begin the process.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
srt's cannot be "hard burned" into an mp4 or mkv without ocr.
its gonna have to be a soft sub.
Hb or subler can embed them as a 3gpp text sub.

Edit: "hard burned" indicates a burned in sub to the video track, you can not turn it on or off. it gets burned into the video track as a bitmap. srt's are text files hence the need for ocr to even begin the process.

I've been trying to read some more about subtitles and I think you're right. .SRT cannot be burned in, at least not easily. .Sub OTOH can, using HB. The problem is I need them burned in as my media player that's built into one of our TVs cannot handle soft-coded subs.

There's an app in the MAS called "Subtitles TheEditor" which mentions that it can convert .sub to .srt and vice versa (the "vice versa" part is especially interesting to me as I already have .srt that I'd like converted to .sub) but I wish there was a trial version as I want to make sure it works the way I want before paying for it.

Check emmgunn's mkvtools or mp4tools. They can softburn and hardburn almost anything. I actually use mp4tools since it allows me to make everything itunes and ipad compatible. Both tools can batch convert as well. For mp4toos i'd recommend to use his latest beta version. So far the most versatile and easy to use tool for this purpose i have found on the mac.

I already tried those, and I've only been able to soft code subs into mkvs and m4vs, so far have not been able to burn in .srt.

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
Doh... Sorry I guess I was wrong on that front. I did in fact use some program to burn in the hardcoded subtitles for a movie a while back and I cannot for the life of me remember what that program actually was. I'll keep going through my internet history and figure out what the heck it was.. :D

EDIT: Literally 1 or 2 minutes after I posted I managed to find the program... It was RipBot! Unfortunately, this program is windows only, meaning I must have used it under Parallels (hence why I couldn't find the program under my applications folder). Obviously this is no help here... Time to keep searching!

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Are you trying to burn in the subtitle while setting the video stream on passthru? Thats not going to work no matter what kind of tool you use. If you literally want to burn the sub into the video you need to re-encode the videostream again as well. The other option is to set the softsub to force, meaning that it will show up as default so long as your player supports subs, then it depends on what subtitles your player supports, if a player does, it is usually sub.

Of course I encoded the video. I ran both 1 and 2-pass encoding with all options to burn-in the sub track, no go. It was soft coded in fine though.

----------

I did manage to find this nice guide that uses submerge to put in srt's and hardcode them to the movie.

http://www.m4.com/blog/video/adding-burned-in-subtitles-to-your-ripped-movies/

This looks like it should do what you are wanting. Obviously you can disregard all of the stuff before and after the actual hardcoding process.

Thanks for the link. I may have to bite the bullet and try submerge.

----------

I am deaf and I often hardburn subtitles to my film for my iPhone 5. I recommend freemake video converter , converts any file format into any output device, which is totally free and is quick.

Thanks for the recommendation, although it looks like a windows-only program. I'm looking for ones to run under OSX.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.