Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
I am eligible for an upgrade Dec. 29 and I am considering going to Best Buy to get my phone (I've always just gone directly to the Verizon store, have never gone through a third party). I am just wondering how well this has worked for everyone. I have heard the promo was only for ATT customers, but the Best Buy website makes it look like Verizon customers qualify as well. Also, I have heard stories of Best Buy eating the $30 upgrade fee...has anyone experienced that?

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
Additionally, right now I am on an unlimited data plan. I have come to terms with the fact that I will now need to go to a tiered plan. I don't think I have ever even gone over 1 GB in my 18 months of useage, so I am ok with doing the 2GB plan. It just doesn't pay to buy an IP5 off contract just to keep my same plan. Although I have heard that the IP5 goes through more data (I'm not sure how) as opposed to the IP4 (which I currently have)...any truth to that? If so, is it a considerable amount? (Assuming I rarely use Siri and all of my other data use habits are the same.)

Also, right now I get a 12% discount through my employer. I emailed a rep about a couple things and asked if my discount would carry over. They said I would still the the 12% off the voice portion of my bill but not the data portion. It's only a $3 hike in my bill, but still kind of annoying. Has anyone else dealt with this issue?

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Additionally, right now I am on an unlimited data plan. I have come to terms with the fact that I will now need to go to a tiered plan. I don't think I have ever even gone over 1 GB in my 18 months of useage, so I am ok with doing the 2GB plan. It just doesn't pay to buy an IP5 off contract just to keep my same plan. Although I have heard that the IP5 goes through more data (I'm not sure how) as opposed to the IP4 (which I currently have)...any truth to that? If so, is it a considerable amount? (Assuming I rarely use Siri and all of my other data use habits are the same.)

Also, right now I get a 12% discount through my employer. I emailed a rep about a couple things and asked if my discount would carry over. They said I would still the the 12% off the voice portion of my bill but not the data portion. It's only a $3 hike in my bill, but still kind of annoying. Has anyone else dealt with this issue?

It's perception mainly for usage, think about it like this:

you walk everywhere for transportation and have a pretty set area that you travel around in (data usage). Now someone gives you a pair of roller blades. You can clearly go faster on these, and while you stick to the same geenral routine, you're getting places faster, so you may decide to go to places that are a little far to do while you're walking, but are able to accoplish easier because you can get there quicker ("increased" data usage). Also, like pretty much every new toy, there will be a spike after you first get it because you're playing around more, but should even out.

As far as employee discount, my company reimburses me for data after I pay the bill, so slightly different setup. Honestly, I would just eat the $3, it's free money anyway.

howyoudoin

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2002
I am eligible for an upgrade Dec. 29 and I am considering going to Best Buy to get my phone (I've always just gone directly to the Verizon store, have never gone through a third party). I am just wondering how well this has worked for everyone. I have heard the promo was only for ATT customers, but the Best Buy website makes it look like Verizon customers qualify as well. Also, I have heard stories of Best Buy eating the $30 upgrade fee...has anyone experienced that?

You talking about the free 5000 reward zone points?

As far as the upgrade, they wouldn't waive it in-store for me but after I upgraded at Best Buy I called ATT and they waived it after my bill posted

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005

yes that is something pretty recent. unless you get the $50 plan then they don't discount the data at all. only the voice part....which is basically nothing

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
You talking about the free 5000 reward zone points?

As far as the upgrade, they wouldn't waive it in-store for me but after I upgraded at Best Buy I called ATT and they waived it after my bill posted

Is that how it works? You need to redeem a bunch of Reward Zone points for them to pay the upgrade fee? Details about stores waiving the upgrade fee were sketchy and it sounded like some people had luck with it and some did not.

Buuuut, I see Wal-Mart is offering an even deep discount now, so I may go that route if the promo is still around on Dec. 29. :)

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Has anyone had any luck getting a white 64GB iPhone on AT&T from Best Buy? That is the model I want, but of course is the only one consistently sold out at every BB location in my area. I'd like to get the promo price as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.