Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Hey all,

I'm currently in the process of migrating my bank accounts from Chase Bank to Ally Bank. I have nothing against Chase, but I no longer get any type of benefit by banking with them. Ally has a 0.4% APY on CHECKING accounts (Chase has no interest on checking) and nearly 1% on their Money Market account (0.01%) on Chase.

I'm planning on moving both my Savings and Checking account over and completely closing my Chase account. Does anyone use Ally? My only concern is the lack of brick and mortar locations, which I do use Chase's fairly frequently to withdraw large amounts of money (I paid in cash for my tuition last semester as they charged a 3% fee for using a card. That doesn't sound like a lot until your tuition is over five grand.)

Thanks for any input.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Surely your school offers you the ability to directly transfer money from a bank account?

That would at least solve your large cash withdrawal problem. What are their policies on ATM fees?

As you're probably aware those interest rates are atrocious.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I guess I just don't trust the online banks to be flexible enough to totally give up a brick and mortar bank.

I do have an ING Savings (0.80% APY) and just opened an Ally Savings (0.90% APY) as well.

I like the best of both worlds - direct deposit into my Chase checking account so it's free and then automatically scheduled withdrawals into both of the savings accounts.

Plus I do love my cash back rewards credit card. I guess you could have a non-bank issued credit card, but my Chase Rewards card works well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.