Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:04 PM   #1
Fernandez21
macrumors 68000

Should I worry?

Ok, here is what happened. I had my MacBook Air closed on one of the chairs in my dining room table. My son then spilled his almost full cup of milk and almost all the contents fell on my poor unsuspecting MBA. Now since the lid was closed it doesn't seem like any got "into" the machine, but to be on the safe side, I dried it and shut off the computer completely (it was in sleep mode) and have with the lid open and face down.

Am I freaking out over nothing? I mean the top lid was closed, or should I be doing more? How long should I keep it off? And if some of the milk did get in there, would it have any long term effects?

Thanks.
Fernandez21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:42 PM   #2
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

I would inspect closely with a loupe, around the outermost keys, shine a strong light so hopefully u can see a white liquid or dried film of something and prepare to soak/clean with q-tip. Also around the exhaust opening.

Probly OK.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:45 PM   #3
spork183
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernandez21 View Post
Ok, here is what happened. I had my MacBook Air closed on one of the chairs in my dining room table. My son then spilled his almost full cup of milk and almost all the contents fell on my poor unsuspecting MBA. Now since the lid was closed it doesn't seem like any got "into" the machine, but to be on the safe side, I dried it and shut off the computer completely (it was in sleep mode) and have with the lid open and face down.

Am I freaking out over nothing? I mean the top lid was closed, or should I be doing more? How long should I keep it off? And if some of the milk did get in there, would it have any long term effects?

Thanks.
Have your cat check it out. If your cat isn't interested, you're probably good...
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:09 PM   #4
coldjeanzzz
macrumors 6502

Yikes that's a dangerous one.

But if it really did just spill ONLY on the top lid it should be fine. But I imagine with almost a full glass of milk that it trickled down into the seams somewhere.

The sugar in milk can supposedly degrade the materials over time and you won't notice the effects right away so just keep an eye out for anything out of the ordinary
coldjeanzzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:41 AM   #5
throAU
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork183 View Post
Have your cat check it out. If your cat isn't interested, you're probably good...
Not all cats like milk. Mine don't...

i'd try and tip it up so that any that did get in drains out. If nothing comes out or looks like it got in, i'd say you're pretty safe. With the lid closed I doubt any got in.
throAU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:26 AM   #6
Robyr
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldjeanzzz View Post
The sugar in milk can supposedly degrade the materials over time and you won't notice the effects right away so just keep an eye out for anything out of the ordinary
I have seen this repeated over and over, but that is simply not how it works. Sugars are not the problem at all, acidic materials are. Also, even then, the real issue is moisture causing a short between traces and components on the PCB.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:47 PM   #7
Fernandez21
macrumors 68000

Well, I guess everything is fine. Some of the milk made its way to just outside the keyboard and I didn't notice any milk go down the back hinge side. Just turned it on and everything seems normal.
Fernandez21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air