Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 17, 2013, 05:16 AM   #301
hleewell
macrumors 6502

The price of 256GB & 512GB solid state drives should drop significantly by now. Allowing the 1TB option as something of a high end but still affordable option. With the amount of music, movies, games that people love to store locally, a 512GB SS solution should be standard by now. And where are those 512GB & 1TB SD card that Toshiba/Panasonic is promising to deliver?
hleewell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 05:38 AM   #302
heywally
macrumors newbie

Could be pricey.

What is amazing to me is that I used to change 500 MB 'disk platters' -- in a DEC server machine with 1 MB of system memory -- that weighed about 15 pounds.

You had to make sure that no specs of dust got into the disk drive, lest your platter become corrupted and you'd have to restore the entire system from your 25 reels of backup tape. Better job security though.
heywally is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 05:40 AM   #303
ImperialX
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to ImperialX
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotluck View Post
i'd rather see a more affordable core i-7 class mac pro option
iMac?
Old Mar 17, 2013, 09:08 AM   #304
gotluck
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialX View Post
iMac?
No thanks, I'm looking for a desktop, not a laptop.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 05:04 PM   #305
foodog
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
The cube was neither cheap nor did it have any open slots.

If anything, apple's did a reasonably priced tower (at one point they had PPC towers around $1500) and they sold quite well.
1500 at the time, was not cheap by any stretch of the imagination...
Desktop sales are dropping like a rock why introduce something new in that space?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by heywally View Post
Could be pricey.

What is amazing to me is that I used to change 500 MB 'disk platters' -- in a DEC server machine with 1 MB of system memory -- that weighed about 15 pounds.

You had to make sure that no specs of dust got into the disk drive, lest your platter become corrupted and you'd have to restore the entire system from your 25 reels of backup tape. Better job security though.
We had a Bull with 10 MB disk that weighed about 15 lbs and this thing ran until 2001.... A museum in France took it away in pieces for free which was a huge cost saving for us. We still have racks of the monster tape reels that compliance won't allow to be disposed of.... there is no system capable of reading said tapes, nor a device to mount the reels on. <shrug>
Old Apr 26, 2013, 11:01 AM   #306
milo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodog View Post
1500 at the time, was not cheap by any stretch of the imagination...
First, I didn't use the term "cheap" to describe that model, I was disagreeing with someone else's statement that the cube was "cheap". But the $1500 tower was widely considered a good value - for that particular hardware configuration, it was a very good deal. And a tower at that price today would still be considered a very good value. I'd argue that a tower at "1500" was actually considered "cheap" more back then than now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodog View Post
Desktop sales are dropping like a rock why introduce something new in that space?
For the same reason that they still update the iMac line - even if sales are dropping (and they're dropping far less for Apple than for PC makers), people are still buying them. And because it would require relatively minimal resources to develop.
milo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2013, 02:31 PM   #307
foodog
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
For the same reason that they still update the iMac line - even if sales are dropping (and they're dropping far less for Apple than for PC makers), people are still buying them. And because it would require relatively minimal resources to develop.
Entering a seriously declining market with a new product, seems like a good way to lose money.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 03:11 PM   #308
milo
macrumors 603

They don't need a "new" product. They already sell a tower, and it wouldn't be hard for them to do an update that includes a model at $1600.
milo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion