Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Jul 23, 2013, 02:23 PM   #51
G-Force
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaertus View Post
Well, Windows works for nearly everybody else. If 95% of the world population uses Windows and manages to be productive with it, then it should be usable. Perhaps you prefer OS X, and you have your personal complaints about Windows, but that's a whole different story.

Each to its own. But, in any case, I guess anyone could use Windows if they had to. Because everybody does.
Are you serious? What do you not understand about the fact that I don't want to use Windows because I don't like the way it works? Of course I do prefer OS X, and yes I have some personal complaints about Windows, why is that a whole different story? Enlighten me please.

Just because the whole world uses Windows doesn't make it a good operating system for everyone. It's a VERY personal thing. If the whole world drove a crappy car does that make it a good car suddenly? I don't think so.
Quote:
It is a dangerous route to follow if one just buy Apple's products for fanboyism.
How is not liking Windows fanboyism? Just because everybody uses it?
Quote:
I do buy Apple's products because I think they're worth it.
So do I... And the great, for me, operating system.
Quote:
But I recognize that I might run into some problems if I switch to another platform - I'll have to buy software all over again!
Oh noes! What happens when you switch from Windows to Linux? Or Android to iOS? This happens on every platform really, I don't know why you would bring this up.
Quote:
The problem is, lots of people just hate Windows, for unknown reasons (perhaps just for the sake of hating), and refuse to use anything else other than a Mac.
Again, what's wrong with that? I refuse to buy Windows-based machines because I don't like them. Their trackpads are crappy compared to those of a Mac, I don't like Windows so why should I buy anything else than Apple (the machine that suits my needs perfectly.)
Quote:
If the Mac turns out to be a bad product, then these people are trapped...
Not your problem really. Enjoy your Windows machine.
G-Force is offline   1
Old Jul 23, 2013, 04:33 PM   #52
ylrd
macrumors member

Windows, Samsung bloatware and sub-par customer support are complete deal breakers for me.

21.5" iMac (C2D @ 3.06GHz, 500GB, 8GB) with Magic Trackpad
13.3" MacBook Air (i7 @ 1.7~3.3GHz, 256GB, 8GB)
iPad 2 (16GB) / Nexus 4 (16GB)
ylrd is offline   0
Old Jul 24, 2013, 04:09 PM   #53
YesILoveTech
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylrd View Post
Windows, Samsung bloatware and sub-par customer support are complete deal breakers for me.

Ancient looking bezel, subpar screen, and lack of touch are a deal breaker for me. It's all about preferences. The MBA hasn't evolved much since it's been released. If it had the features of the ATIV 9 Plus it would be a no brainer to get an MBA.
YesILoveTech is offline   1
Old Jul 24, 2013, 04:33 PM   #54
XoFu
macrumors member

Unhappy Oh My Good

My Air started bleeding (profusely) 10 minutes ago! Should I blame it on the Samsung killer....
Old Jul 24, 2013, 08:05 PM   #55
ashobe
macrumors newbie

Just number 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirus View Post
1. Yes its glossy but the resolution is MUCH better. You don't have to touch the screen if you don't want to - use of the touchscreen is optional.

2. Wow 0.1 pounds... thats like 45g. Generally speaking you need a weight difference of at least 5% to be noticeable. Doesn't matter when you add a case/sleeve or put it in a backback.

3. Apple probably has better battery life but the difference is little and probably due mostly to the screen.

4. There is almost 0 difference between the HD 4400 and the HD 5000. Both are so thermally limited that fps is within 5%. Furthermore the igp isn't strong enough for mainstream gaming anyway.

(more on the AT review).

5. True, not sure if you can but can you do 200% scaling for 900 x 1600?

6 + 7. This by no means affect the functionality of the device.
Note about #1. Have you ever actually tried to use Windows 8 without the touch screen? It is a grueling task. [one of the best things about Windows 8 - touch screen, one of the worst things about Windows 8 - touch screen]
ashobe is offline   0
Old Jul 24, 2013, 08:32 PM   #56
tom1971
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesILoveTech View Post
Ancient looking bezel, subpar screen, and lack of touch are a deal breaker for me. It's all about preferences. The MBA hasn't evolved much since it's been released. If it had the features of the ATIV 9 Plus it would be a no brainer to get an MBA.
Well, enjoy your Windows machine. I heard they changed the fonts for the bluesceens, so you will be happy about that evolution
tom1971 is offline   1
Old Jul 24, 2013, 08:35 PM   #57
entatlrg
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
It's thin, it's light, it has more pixel density than even the Retina 13" MBP, has 12 hr battery life, Haswell processor, a touchscreen, and USB 3.0., and all metal construction

This blows the thick bezeled MBA out the window. Apple it's your turn now. And I was just about to buy a MBA. Not anymore.
Did you get a Windows notebook yet? When you do please post a review.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:37 PM   #58
cookies!
macrumors regular

I can't believe this thread even exists

just get whatever laptop you want, people

it's technology, not politics
cookies! is offline   2
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:47 PM   #59
YesILoveTech
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entatlrg View Post
Did you get a Windows notebook yet? When you do please post a review.
Full disclosure...so far it's vaporware and it's starting to piss me off a bit. I feel like they made the announcement to get people's hopes up but there hasn't been any tentative release date or even a price yet.

Samsung has till mid August or I'm buying a MBA.
YesILoveTech is offline   0
Old Jul 25, 2013, 07:37 AM   #60
GrandPhrase
macrumors 6502

Do you guys think that the MBA will get a retina display next summer then?
GrandPhrase is offline   0
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:13 AM   #61
Steve121178
macrumors 68000

Quote:
It's thin, it's light, it has more pixel density than even the Retina 13" MBP, has 12 hr battery life, Haswell processor, a touchscreen, and USB 3.0., and all metal construction

This blows the thick bezeled MBA out the window. Apple it's your turn now. And I was just about to buy a MBA. Not anymore.
Someone on another forum I go on has got one for review.

Windows scaling on 3200x1800 is not good and the battery news is nothing to write home about, to quote them "7.1h max possible and 2.1h fastest drain possible".
Old Jul 27, 2013, 11:44 AM   #62
skaertus
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Force View Post
Are you serious? What do you not understand about the fact that I don't want to use Windows because I don't like the way it works? Of course I do prefer OS X, and yes I have some personal complaints about Windows, why is that a whole different story? Enlighten me please.

Just because the whole world uses Windows doesn't make it a good operating system for everyone. It's a VERY personal thing. If the whole world drove a crappy car does that make it a good car suddenly? I don't think so.
It's a different story because Windows is not necessarily a bad operating system. You may not like Windows and you may prefer OS X. But that doesn't make Windows a bad piece of software. My sister, for example, hates OS X. And my girlfriend likes Windows better than OS X. It's a personal thing.

Now, Windows is not bad. Windows is omnipresent, and everybody else uses it. There are free alternatives, such as Linux, but its market share is about 1%. Why? It's not only because of Microsoft's economic power. It's also because Windows provides a much better experience than Linux. If Windows were so bad as some people say, Microsoft's influence would not be enough to drive people away from it.

The bottom line is, the whole world doesn't drive a bad car. The most popular cars are usually the ones that people like most at the price range. One may think a Corolla is a bad car and that a Mercedes-Benz is much better. But for those who can't afford a Mercedes-Benz, or won't buy one, a Corolla will be perfectly fine and will perform its task very well. So will Windows.

Quote:
How is not liking Windows fanboyism? Just because everybody uses it?
It's not. You may not like Windows for several reasons, and that's not fanboyism. I don't even know you, I don't know your reasons for not liking Windows, and I'm not arguing with you.

But there are people who hate Windows just because they hate Microsoft and everything it represents. And some people hate Windows because they love Apple, and, therefore, hate its competitors. Companies are just companies, and software is just software. They should not inspire such humane feelings.

Quote:
So do I... And the great, for me, operating system.
I like OS X, and I like Windows as well. I think both operating systems serve me well and can handle my needs. I don't like Linux, though, as I think the experience is sub-par.

Quote:
Oh noes! What happens when you switch from Windows to Linux? Or Android to iOS? This happens on every platform really, I don't know why you would bring this up.
That's an hypothetical question. It happens with every platform. If you are committed to one platform, it may not happen to you. But then, if you switch to another platform, it happens.

The fact is 95% of the computers run Windows. Windows is not going anywhere, and people may feel safe on that. If Dell goes out of business, it's possible to buy Windows laptops from HP or Acer, for instance. New Windows machines come out nearly every day. There are cheap machines, but there are also high-end machines that may meet the needs of specific users. Buying a Windows machine is playing safe.

It doesn't happen with Apple, though. In 1997, Apple was in the verge of bankruptcy. If Steve Jobs hadn't come back to the company, then Mac computers could be history by now. That would force people to change platform. And they would have to go the Windows way.

Big as it is, Apple is just one company. It is huge now, and currently the largest tech company in the world, but things change over the years. In 5 years, Apple may not be the behemoth it is now. It may choose to discontinue Macs in favor of iOS devices in some 5 or 10 years.

Or it may fail to release products at the expected timeframe. Last year, before the new rMBP was released, I felt the cMBP was just obsolete compared to its Windows counterparts. Now, I feel that the MBA is not on par with the latest Windows offerings. So, Apple may take time to release the desired products, and that may annoy some people. That won't happen with Windows. New Windows machines come out every day, and if Toshiba doesn't currently provide the latest thing, then Asus or Samsung may do it.

The bottom line is, if someone wishes to move away from Apple, for whatever reason, then the only option is Windows. Windows is more bullet-proof than Mac, that's for sure. And, in this case, software will have to be bought all over again.

Quote:
Again, what's wrong with that? I refuse to buy Windows-based machines because I don't like them. Their trackpads are crappy compared to those of a Mac, I don't like Windows so why should I buy anything else than Apple (the machine that suits my needs perfectly.)

Not your problem really. Enjoy your Windows machine.
I use a Mac. I like it. But I don't hate Windows because of that. I would easily switch to Windows if I had to or if I wanted to. It would serve me well, and I would be able to do my job as easily. If you don't like Windows, that's fine, it's your choice. But some people hate Windows, and what I can't understand is why someone would focus such a strong feeling on something so unworthy of it as a piece of software.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 02:35 PM   #63
hockeyfanatic
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1971 View Post
Well, enjoy your Windows machine. I heard they changed the fonts for the bluesceens, so you will be happy about that evolution

Who doesn't like the color blue? Memory dumps are also a great way to refresh RAM.
hockeyfanatic is offline   0
Old Jul 28, 2013, 05:27 AM   #64
YesILoveTech
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1971 View Post
Any news about whether the Beach Ball is making an appearance in Mavericks?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve121178 View Post
Someone on another forum I go on has got one for review.

Windows scaling on 3200x1800 is not good and the battery news is nothing to write home about, to quote them "7.1h max possible and 2.1h fastest drain possible".
'Twas a pre-production unit...nice try!!!
Old Jul 28, 2013, 06:34 AM   #65
hockeyfanatic
macrumors member

Quote:
Any news about whether the Beach Ball is making an appearance in Mavericks?

----------

'Twas a pre-production unit...nice try!!!
So, the post-production won't have a crappy screen and battery?
Thats sounds good. When will the revised model be available for review?
Old Jul 28, 2013, 07:56 AM   #66
blueTattoo
macrumors member

Full review in Russian here:
Обзор Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus: ультрабук с лучшим экраном

Quote:
Цена: 55 990 рублей
Price: 55 990 Russian ruble- doesn't sound like pre-production model to me.

Battery runtime- full load, in minutes :

http://s24.postimg.org/vc8vqqcx1/Screenshot_1.png

Battery runtime- light load, 60% brightness, in minutes :

http://s24.postimg.org/i6tdkmj1h/Screenshot_2.png

Samsung:
Quote:
11 hours battery life for optimized mobile productivity
If they said so...

Anyway...great Windows ultrabook, but not quite a Macbook Air killer.

Last edited by blueTattoo; Jul 28, 2013 at 08:11 AM.
blueTattoo is offline   0
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:02 AM   #67
YesILoveTech
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanatic View Post
So, the post-production won't have a crappy screen and battery?
Thats sounds good. When will the revised model be available for review?
I never fully trust pre-production pre-release reviews on anything. HAhahahahahahahahahahaha @ Crappy screen. I love delusional Apple people, the best comedy on the internet BY FAR!!!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueTattoo View Post
Full review in Russian here:
Обзор Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus: ультрабук с лучшим экраном

Price: 55 990 Russian ruble- doesn't sound like pre-production model to me.

Battery runtime- full load, in minutes :

Battery runtime- light load, 60% brightness, in minutes :

Samsung:

If they said so...

Anyway...great Windows ultrabook, but not quite a Macbook Air killer.
I guarantee none of the Apple fanboys would accept anything derogatory from a Russian tech site.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:39 AM   #68
blueTattoo
macrumors member

Who to accept what, again?

That the stupid tech-journalists were like OMG, Ultra-High-Def display, more pixels than the retina, and 12 hours of battery life, OMG, Macbook Air Killer ?
Now Samsung says it's 11 hours, and in reality, it's half of that, on a good day.
blueTattoo is offline   0
Old Jul 28, 2013, 01:07 PM   #69
hockeyfanatic
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueTattoo View Post
Who to accept what, again?

That the stupid tech-journalists were like OMG, Ultra-High-Def display, more pixels than the retina, and 12 hours of battery life, OMG, Macbook Air Killer ?
Now Samsung says it's 11 hours, and in reality, it's half of that, on a good day.
The russian site seems to be an independant source. They even rated two older samsung products better than the new samsung one one for battery use.

That's the source I would trust over the man behind the curtain.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 05:27 PM   #70
YesILoveTech
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanatic View Post
The russian site seems to be an independant source. They even rated two older samsung products better than the new samsung one one for battery use.

That's the source I would trust over the man behind the curtain.
A truly reputable source will review it after release. I'll take it from them, not some Russian site of which their credibility is unknown.

I'll also wait for a retail production unit. Either way I'm getting it. It still has functionality advantages over the MBA.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 06:33 PM   #71
YesILoveTech
macrumors member

Wow 5000+ views in a little over a week. I guess for better or for worse this Samsung is at least interesting enough, especially since it hasn't even been released or thoroughly reviewed by any of the TRUSTED tech sites/blogs yet.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 06:31 PM   #72
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Quote:

But it runs windows........
Old Jul 31, 2013, 04:39 AM   #73
Steve121178
macrumors 68000

Quote:
A truly reputable source will review it after release. I'll take it from them, not some Russian site of which their credibility is unknown.

I'll also wait for a retail production unit. Either way I'm getting it. It still has functionality advantages over the MBA.
I'd trust some independent technical professionals over sites like The Verge, Engadget etc.

I know exactly how mainstream sites are pressured to review machines and it sounds to me like the only review you can trust is one that tells you exactly what you want to hear. Someone like you should just read the Samsung PR press pack, it will be right up your street.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 05:06 AM   #74
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Full disclosure...so far it's vaporware and it's starting to piss me off a bit. I feel like they made the announcement to get people's hopes up but there hasn't been any tentative release date or even a price yet.

Samsung has till mid August or I'm buying a MBA.
You looked at the wrong Samsung product for a MacBook Air killer.

In my company, we have this huge Samsung refrigerator in the kitchen. Put a MacBook Air on the floor, have four people lifting the Samsung refrigerator up and dropping it on the MacBook Air, and you will see a MacBook Air killer.
gnasher729 is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland