Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jul 31, 2013, 02:02 PM   #1
OscarTheGrouch
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to OscarTheGrouch Send a message via MSN to OscarTheGrouch Send a message via Yahoo to OscarTheGrouch
Ripping DVD/Blu-Ray

I'm going to start ripping my DVD/BluRay collection to hard drive to watch on my PS3. What would the best format be respectively for each DVD and BluRay, and what software application would be best/most efficient at it? Anything else I am missing?
OscarTheGrouch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 02:33 PM   #2
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030

Handbrake

That's really all you'll need. Although I recommend ripping to one drive, then transcoding to another. I use DVDFab to rip to an external drive; and then transcode to another external drive.
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 02:51 PM   #3
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

Handbrake and then iFlicks for metadata. This is what I use. It works well for me.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 04:12 PM   #4
mic j
macrumors 68000

MakeMKV (decryption to mkv) > Handbrake (transcoding to mp4) > Subler (metadata tagging)

Note: HB probably ok for dvd decryption but not BR. That's why I use MakeMKV. It's great at decryption of both dvd and BR.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 04:40 PM   #5
Xe89
macrumors regular

MakeMKV for ripping Blu-ray and sometimes DVD to uncompressed mkv

Ripit for ripping DVD to .dvdmedia "file" (actually a folder)

Handbrake for transcoding ripped DVD files to smaller MKVs or MP4s
Xe89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2013, 12:47 AM   #6
OscarTheGrouch
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to OscarTheGrouch Send a message via MSN to OscarTheGrouch Send a message via Yahoo to OscarTheGrouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xe89 View Post
MakeMKV for ripping Blu-ray and sometimes DVD to uncompressed mkv

Ripit for ripping DVD to .dvdmedia "file" (actually a folder)

Handbrake for transcoding ripped DVD files to smaller MKVs or MP4s
Pardon the ignorant question, but quality wise, What's the best encoding? MP4? I know for DVD its not as important, but I want the few blurays I managed to salvage from my divorce to look as good as possible on a nice television. HDD Space isn't a horrible concern.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 08:38 AM   #7
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarTheGrouch View Post
Pardon the ignorant question, but quality wise, What's the best encoding? MP4? I know for DVD its not as important, but I want the few blurays I managed to salvage from my divorce to look as good as possible on a nice television. HDD Space isn't a horrible concern.
That is very subjective. Everyone plays the space / quality game. If do a full encoding without much compression you're looking at 40GB per movie; and if you have 100 BluRays you're going to be close to filling a 4TB drive. For me, I set it to Handbrake's high quality and then slide the quality slide down to 18 (from 20, lower is better). That yields a 3 to 5GB file and decent quality, for me.

Also, what are you going to play the movie back on is a big factor. Laptop, Tablet, Phone, ATV? Using Plex or iTunes?
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2013, 09:58 AM   #8
Xe89
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarTheGrouch View Post
I usually don't transcode Blu-rays, I only use MakeMKV to put the audio and video in a different container (mkv). The whole point of Blu-ray is to get the best picture quality, that's why I don't transcode them.

EDIT: that said, mkvs created by MakeMKV will probably not work on your tv, unless you connect your PC to it of course.

MP4, like mkv, is a container format. So the quality depends on the video encoding. I use Handbrakes "High quality" setting for transcoding DVDs. With this I get 99 % of the original picture quality but at maybe 20 % of the size.

If you put the same video and audio in an mkv file and an MP4 file, I believe they will look the same. I mostly use mkv because it is better at handling several audio and subtitle tracks. If you don't need that you probably should use MP4.

Last edited by Xe89; Aug 1, 2013 at 10:03 AM.
Xe89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2013, 01:17 PM   #9
OscarTheGrouch
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonGlitch View Post
That is very subjective. Everyone plays the space / quality game. If do a full encoding without much compression you're looking at 40GB per movie; and if you have 100 BluRays you're going to be close to filling a 4TB drive. For me, I set it to Handbrake's high quality and then slide the quality slide down to 18 (from 20, lower is better). That yields a 3 to 5GB file and decent quality, for me.

Also, what are you going to play the movie back on is a big factor. Laptop, Tablet, Phone, ATV? Using Plex or iTunes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xe89 View Post
I usually don't transcode Blu-rays, I only use MakeMKV to put the audio and video in a different container (mkv). The whole point of Blu-ray is to get the best picture quality, that's why I don't transcode them.

EDIT: that said, mkvs created by MakeMKV will probably not work on your tv, unless you connect your PC to it of course.

MP4, like mkv, is a container format. So the quality depends on the video encoding. I use Handbrakes "High quality" setting for transcoding DVDs. With this I get 99 % of the original picture quality but at maybe 20 % of the size.

If you put the same video and audio in an mkv file and an MP4 file, I believe they will look the same. I mostly use mkv because it is better at handling several audio and subtitle tracks. If you don't need that you probably should use MP4.
Points taken. I plan on playback through my PS3 on an HDTV.. currently it's an old 32" but will be upgrading soon to larger...

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store