Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 31, 2013, 02:02 PM   #1
OscarTheGrouch
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: G' Vegas South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to OscarTheGrouch Send a message via MSN to OscarTheGrouch Send a message via Yahoo to OscarTheGrouch
Ripping DVD/Blu-Ray

I'm going to start ripping my DVD/BluRay collection to hard drive to watch on my PS3. What would the best format be respectively for each DVD and BluRay, and what software application would be best/most efficient at it? Anything else I am missing?
OscarTheGrouch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 02:33 PM   #2
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030
 
CylonGlitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal
Handbrake

That's really all you'll need. Although I recommend ripping to one drive, then transcoding to another. I use DVDFab to rip to an external drive; and then transcode to another external drive.
__________________
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 02:51 PM   #3
firedept
macrumors Demi-God
 
firedept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere!
Handbrake and then iFlicks for metadata. This is what I use. It works well for me.
__________________
Success only comes before work in the dictionary!
firedept is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 04:12 PM   #4
mic j
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
MakeMKV (decryption to mkv) > Handbrake (transcoding to mp4) > Subler (metadata tagging)

Note: HB probably ok for dvd decryption but not BR. That's why I use MakeMKV. It's great at decryption of both dvd and BR.
__________________
17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz, 8GB RAM; AppleTV 3; iPad 2, 32GB; 2TB Time Capsule (RIP 9/12); AEBS w 1TB Seagate HDD; AE; 65" Mits DLP, Sony STR-DB1070 AVR
mic j is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 04:40 PM   #5
Xe89
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
MakeMKV for ripping Blu-ray and sometimes DVD to uncompressed mkv

Ripit for ripping DVD to .dvdmedia "file" (actually a folder)

Handbrake for transcoding ripped DVD files to smaller MKVs or MP4s
Xe89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2013, 12:47 AM   #6
OscarTheGrouch
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: G' Vegas South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to OscarTheGrouch Send a message via MSN to OscarTheGrouch Send a message via Yahoo to OscarTheGrouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xe89 View Post
MakeMKV for ripping Blu-ray and sometimes DVD to uncompressed mkv

Ripit for ripping DVD to .dvdmedia "file" (actually a folder)

Handbrake for transcoding ripped DVD files to smaller MKVs or MP4s
Pardon the ignorant question, but quality wise, What's the best encoding? MP4? I know for DVD its not as important, but I want the few blurays I managed to salvage from my divorce to look as good as possible on a nice television. HDD Space isn't a horrible concern.
OscarTheGrouch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2013, 08:38 AM   #7
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030
 
CylonGlitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarTheGrouch View Post
Pardon the ignorant question, but quality wise, What's the best encoding? MP4? I know for DVD its not as important, but I want the few blurays I managed to salvage from my divorce to look as good as possible on a nice television. HDD Space isn't a horrible concern.
That is very subjective. Everyone plays the space / quality game. If do a full encoding without much compression you're looking at 40GB per movie; and if you have 100 BluRays you're going to be close to filling a 4TB drive. For me, I set it to Handbrake's high quality and then slide the quality slide down to 18 (from 20, lower is better). That yields a 3 to 5GB file and decent quality, for me.

Also, what are you going to play the movie back on is a big factor. Laptop, Tablet, Phone, ATV? Using Plex or iTunes?
__________________
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2013, 09:58 AM   #8
Xe89
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarTheGrouch View Post
Pardon the ignorant question, but quality wise, What's the best encoding? MP4? I know for DVD its not as important, but I want the few blurays I managed to salvage from my divorce to look as good as possible on a nice television. HDD Space isn't a horrible concern.
I usually don't transcode Blu-rays, I only use MakeMKV to put the audio and video in a different container (mkv). The whole point of Blu-ray is to get the best picture quality, that's why I don't transcode them.

EDIT: that said, mkvs created by MakeMKV will probably not work on your tv, unless you connect your PC to it of course.

MP4, like mkv, is a container format. So the quality depends on the video encoding. I use Handbrakes "High quality" setting for transcoding DVDs. With this I get 99 % of the original picture quality but at maybe 20 % of the size.

If you put the same video and audio in an mkv file and an MP4 file, I believe they will look the same. I mostly use mkv because it is better at handling several audio and subtitle tracks. If you don't need that you probably should use MP4.

Last edited by Xe89; Aug 1, 2013 at 10:03 AM.
Xe89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2013, 01:17 PM   #9
OscarTheGrouch
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: G' Vegas South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to OscarTheGrouch Send a message via MSN to OscarTheGrouch Send a message via Yahoo to OscarTheGrouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonGlitch View Post
That is very subjective. Everyone plays the space / quality game. If do a full encoding without much compression you're looking at 40GB per movie; and if you have 100 BluRays you're going to be close to filling a 4TB drive. For me, I set it to Handbrake's high quality and then slide the quality slide down to 18 (from 20, lower is better). That yields a 3 to 5GB file and decent quality, for me.

Also, what are you going to play the movie back on is a big factor. Laptop, Tablet, Phone, ATV? Using Plex or iTunes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xe89 View Post
I usually don't transcode Blu-rays, I only use MakeMKV to put the audio and video in a different container (mkv). The whole point of Blu-ray is to get the best picture quality, that's why I don't transcode them.

EDIT: that said, mkvs created by MakeMKV will probably not work on your tv, unless you connect your PC to it of course.

MP4, like mkv, is a container format. So the quality depends on the video encoding. I use Handbrakes "High quality" setting for transcoding DVDs. With this I get 99 % of the original picture quality but at maybe 20 % of the size.

If you put the same video and audio in an mkv file and an MP4 file, I believe they will look the same. I mostly use mkv because it is better at handling several audio and subtitle tracks. If you don't need that you probably should use MP4.
Points taken. I plan on playback through my PS3 on an HDTV.. currently it's an old 32" but will be upgrading soon to larger...
OscarTheGrouch is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC