Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Studio K

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
United States
I have a GTX 650 in my 2009 Mac Pro. I would like to use Boot Camp Assistant to install Windows 7 on a second hard drive.
I've downloaded Apple's latest software support drivers (dated 14 March), and I would like to know if anyone can confirm whether or not the NVIDIA drivers provided by Apple will work with the GTX 650 (or any of the Kepler cards) in Windows.
I'd prefer to use Nvidia's latest Windows drivers, but I first need to install Apple's stuff in order to get network and, significantly, the Boot Camp Startup disk Control Panel (otherwise, I can't choose which OS to boot---no boot menu).
Is it possible to pick and choose which Apple drivers to install in Windows? Then I could skip the NVIDIA ones.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
You seem to be confused. You can install any drivers you want for your GPU in windows. I would recommend the ones from Nvidia, after you have installed apple's bootcamp stuff in windows. Changing the GPU driver in windows won't impact your boot screen in any way. I run Nvidia drivers.

Studio K

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
United States
You seem to be confused. You can install any drivers you want for your GPU in windows. I would recommend the ones from Nvidia, after you have installed apple's bootcamp stuff in windows. Changing the GPU driver in windows won't impact your boot screen in any way. I run Nvidia drivers.

Confused? Probably. Just trying to troubleshoot ahead of time.
My main concern was installing Apple's Boot camp software support driver package. It includes Nvidia drivers (which I am not interested in using), which may or may not get along with the GTX 650. Being a recent update, this package may well work out fine. But I've no way of knowing ahead of time. Unless someone out there can reassure me.
Believe me, I intend to install NVIDIA's latest drivers as soon as I am able.

Doesn't Windows 7 come with generic NVIDIA drivers, as well?

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I cannot say for sure what will happen because I do not have a 650 to check, but you won't have any issues. When you first boot into windows it will either use the default VGA driver, or something more specific. You then install the bootcamp stuff. Then you install the Nvidia drivers.

Great success.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Are you not using a Geforce Kepler card in boot camp?

Currently I am using a 650MX in bootcamp. I do not know if windows will recognise your 650 or if it will just default to the VGA driver. Either way you can proceed with my instructions.

MassMacMan

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2012
Boston MetroWest
I have a partial answer for you. I just installed Windows 7 on my 2009 Mac Pro, upgraded to a 3.33 hex CPU. I had already installed a GTX 650Ti GPU beside the original GT 120. After I installed the latest Bootcamp 5.0 drivers, the 650Ti GPU did NOT display on Windows until I went onto the NVidia web site and downloaded the latest Windows 7 drivers. After a reboot, all my monitors came to life.

So, your GTX 650 card may not work at first, but after installing the correct NVidia drivers it should work fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.