Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 7, 2013, 03:40 AM   #1
inscrewtable
macrumors 6502a
 
inscrewtable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Australia
VMware fusion 5 and snow leopard problem

I have looked all over the vm ware forums and guidelines and video tutorials and there is nothing that answers this question...

They say that fusion 5 will run non server mac os as a virtual machine. I have downloaded their trial version but when I select snow leopard it shuts down during installation saying that it is not a 10.5 server version.

I tried every configuration and I am now wondering if I was wrong in thinking it can run a non server version of snow leopard?
__________________
2013 2.7GHz rMBP
iPod Touch 5th Gen,
inscrewtable is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:14 AM   #2
dugost
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
I can't seem to find an answer either way. I'm trying to install previous versions of OS X for website testing in older browsers/OSs.

When I read the VMWare Fusion 5 Getting Started PDF, on page 13 is says:

"Supported Guest Operating Systems
VMware Fusion supports over 60 guest operating systems, including Windows 3.1 through Windows 7, Mac OS X Server, Linux, Solaris, and FreeBSD. For the most recent list of guest operating systems that VMware products support, see the VMware Compatibility Guide site: http://www.vmware.com/resources/comp...ity/search.php."

Which seems to suggest only Mac OS X Server only but the more I read about VMWare Fusion, starting with v.4.1 it allowed non-server, client versions of Mac OS 10.5 and 10.6 to be virtualized (http://www.tuaw.com/2011/11/18/vmwar...c-os-x-10-5-l/). Was this feature removed with VMWare Fusion 5?

When I follow their link for the compatibility search I get these results for 10.5.8:

http://d.pr/i/UAxG

And the details of those results says that it's a compatible guest OS, no mention of the server version.

http://d.pr/i/H1Ri

Other searches for 10.5.7 or any version of 10.6 yields no results whatsoever.

If I try to install Mac OS 10.5 Leopard or Mac OS 10.6 Snow Leopard, these are the only options I can get when I attempt to install from a disc:

http://d.pr/i/Vl8I

It allows 10.8 and 10.7 but only the server versions of 10.6 and 10.5.

Does anyone know how I can get either of these OSs installed in Fusion 5, or provide some insight into the reason why it won't allow the installs in this version? Thanks.

Last edited by dugost; Feb 20, 2013 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Forgot a URL
dugost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:54 AM   #3
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030
 
CylonGlitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal
I think it is server version of Snow Leopard, and the full version of Mountain Lion. I know I have ML in a VM, and I know I put SL Server in a VM at one time as well. I think the reason for the difference is that Apple changed from SL to ML how the server stuff works. Previously there were two different OS', Server and normal. Now there is just one OS, ML, that you can add in the server side stuff if you want. Thus you have to be able to virtualize ML.

Make sense? I think I explained it.
__________________
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:09 AM   #4
chrfr
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugost View Post
It allows 10.8 and 10.7 but only the server versions of 10.6 and 10.5.

Does anyone know how I can get either of these OSs installed in Fusion 5, or provide some insight into the reason why it won't allow the installs in this version? Thanks.
Apple's license agreements only permit virtualizing the server versions of 10.5 and 10.6, and the virtualization software vendors like VMWare and Parallels choose to respect that.
chrfr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:37 PM   #5
dugost
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrfr View Post
Apple's license agreements only permit virtualizing the server versions of 10.5 and 10.6, and the virtualization software vendors like VMWare and Parallels choose to respect that.
That's what I've been reading but in this article it says in 4.1 that VMWare began to allow client versions of 10.5 and 10.6 to be installed, not just the server versions.

So with v.5 they've gone back to only allowing server versions?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonGlitch View Post
I think it is server version of Snow Leopard, and the full version of Mountain Lion. I know I have ML in a VM, and I know I put SL Server in a VM at one time as well. I think the reason for the difference is that Apple changed from SL to ML how the server stuff works. Previously there were two different OS', Server and normal. Now there is just one OS, ML, that you can add in the server side stuff if you want. Thus you have to be able to virtualize ML.
I think that's correct, there aren't two flavours of the OS beginning with Lion, I believe. But when I attempt to install 10.5 or 10.6 from my retail discs, it just tells me it's not the server version. So it would appear it doesn't allow the client OS any more. Sucks that they took away that option between v.4 and v.5.
dugost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:59 PM   #6
chrfr
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugost View Post
So with v.5 they've gone back to only allowing server versions?
That was a quickly patched oversight in Fusion 4.1.0.
chrfr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:57 PM   #7
dugost
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Ah, that makes sense then. Thanks.
dugost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:15 AM   #8
MichaelLAX
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrfr View Post
Apple's license agreements only permit virtualizing the server versions of ... 10.6...
That's a common Urban Myth that has been debunked over the last year or so.

Here are instructions for installing Snow Leopard (with Rosetta) into Parallels for use in Lion and Mountain Lion
MichaelLAX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:16 AM   #9
chrfr
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelLAX View Post
That's a common Urban Myth that has been debunked over the last year or so.
No, it's not an urban myth. The desktop versions of 10.6 and earlier are not licensed for use in a virtual machine. Whether there are ways around it or not don't change that fact.
chrfr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:16 PM   #10
MichaelLAX
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrfr View Post
No, it's not an urban myth. The desktop versions of 10.6 and earlier are not licensed for use in a virtual machine. Whether there are ways around it or not don't change that fact.
The OP wants to run Snow Leopard client in virtualization (presumably to continue to run PowerPC software that he is unable or unwilling to update to Intel versions or find alternative software solutions on a modern Mac that will not boot into Snow Leopard).

Why do you go out of your way to place hurdles in front of the OP (and others in a similar situation)? What makes this your calling in life?

My calling in life is to assist these people and for the last 18 months I have done exactly that with the premiere thread on installing Snow Leopard in Parallels as one such solution (others have chosen to follow my lead into the VMWare world).

I am always confounded by the (now ever decreasing) number of people, such as yourself, who have no credentials in this area (software licensing interpretation), yet continue to make unsupported statements that cannot be substantiated; they mislead or confuse the OP (and others similarly situated) and at the end of the day are irrelevant (considering the source)!

Isn't it enough that you can give great technical advice on this forum?

Last edited by MichaelLAX; Feb 21, 2013 at 02:22 PM.
MichaelLAX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:46 PM   #11
chrfr
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelLAX View Post
Why do you go out of your way to place hurdles in front of the OP (and others in a similar situation)? What makes this your calling in life?
I'm not placing hurdles, Apple did when they specified that the OS X Server software can be properly licensed for use in a virtual environment but did not make the same allowance for 10.5.x and 10.6.x "desktop" version.
Ignoring the license terms is one thing, but the OP should know that it's not licensed. It matters to some people, and some employers.
I deal with a lot of software purchases, and a lot of software licenses on a regular basis at work as a primary task. I'm not quite sure how you came to know whether or not I'm qualified to do my job.
chrfr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:53 PM   #12
MichaelLAX
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrfr View Post
I'm not placing hurdles, Apple did when they specified that the OS X Server software can be properly licensed for use in a virtual environment but did not make the same allowance for 10.5.x and 10.6.x "desktop" version.
REALLY!?! How many more licenses for software that I do not own do I have to read before I can be confident that I know all the rights I have for Snow Leopard client? 2, 3, 10, 100?

This is the exact type of software license interpretation mistake easily made by a "civilian" and exactly why they should stay far away from such issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrfr View Post
Ignoring the license terms is one thing, but the OP should know that it's not licensed. It matters to some people, and some employers.

I deal with a lot of software purchases, and a lot of software licenses on a regular basis at work as a primary task. I'm not quite sure how you came to know whether or not I'm qualified to do my job.
Maybe you should be more concerned about whether or not YOUR employer reads this forum and less concerned about the virtualization of Snow Leopard by the OP...

Last edited by MichaelLAX; Feb 21, 2013 at 07:35 PM.
MichaelLAX is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Installing snow leopard on mountain lion using vmware fusion 6 gauravsc83 OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 1 Oct 13, 2013 01:10 PM
Has anyone been able to successfully virtualize Snow Leopard Server on VMWare 5? chrono1081 Mac Basics and Help 0 Aug 8, 2013 11:22 PM
vmware fusion 5 and snow leopard HOST ... what's possible ? gjarold OS X 4 May 15, 2013 04:44 AM
VMware Fusion 5 vs VMware Fusion 4: impact on OS X performance ozaz Mac Applications and Mac App Store 6 Feb 16, 2013 10:35 AM
VMWare Fusion 3 doesn't work on Mountain Lion, VMWare asking full price for Fusion 4! Marc4 OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 20 Jul 29, 2012 09:07 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:12 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC