Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:43 AM   #26
mcsolas
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufhausen View Post
I don't think there's any right or wrong way to do this, but since switching from MAMP Pro, I've started using .dev for my local sites (inventory.dev, clientname.dev, etc.) and using the default ports. MAMP Pro has a Tools Menu that will turn off the built in Apache if there's a port conflict.
MAMP Pro will update your /etc/hosts file to allow your computer to resolve them properly:
127.0.0.1 cms.dev
127.0.0.1 inventory.dev
I like this method. One thing I just realized when you mention this file /etc/hosts .. I think this is the same file I already modified to preview a domain on Media Temple. I wonder if MAMP would overwrite my changes or if I would just modify them using their GUI and config them that way. It would be simpler anyways because it was a bit tricky to edit that file through terminal, I wouldn't mind having another way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufhausen View Post
Have you tried using 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost with Sequel Pro, or changing to whatever port you are using (8889?) if you are not using the default?
I guess part of my problem was going through MAMP and not MAMP pro. I launched that and was able to set the mysql pw and it popped open phpmyadmin, so it looks like I am going to just go ahead and register it. I just looked at the price and its very reasonable considering the time I see this app saving me.

Late 2012 Mac Mini, 2.6 GHz Intel i7, 16 GB RAM | iPhone 3GS
mcsolas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:12 AM   #27
BryanSchmiedele
macrumors member

Excellent!

Jim,

Thanks SO much. This explanation was clear and concise and helped me immensely.

Bryan
BryanSchmiedele is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:48 PM   #28
SrWebDeveloper
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanSchmiedele View Post
Jim,

Thanks SO much. This explanation was clear and concise and helped me immensely.

Bryan
My pleasure. Refined from many years of horrible mistakes too embarrassing to note here, you live and learn.
SrWebDeveloper is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development