Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saileshbreaker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
Hi, i recently bought an iPhone 5 while i was on holidays in UK, the phone is GSM model A1429 and is factory unlocked. I am now back to my country and we have 2 carriers with LTE service, the iPhone 5 supports both carrier's LTE network, however my iPhone only has a 3G toggle switch, not the LTE one. Any help?

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
Hi, i recently bought an iPhone 5 while i was on holidays in UK, the phone is GSM model A1429 and is factory unlocked. I am now back to my country and we have 2 carriers with LTE service, the iPhone 5 supports both carrier's LTE network, however my iPhone only has a 3G toggle switch, not the LTE one. Any help?

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

According to Apple support page for LTE, the A1429 GSM model supports EE LTE network in UK. Is this the network you have?

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK

You will need a SIM that supports LTE.

Whether or not your existing SIM does is down to how old it is and how long your carrier has been issuing LTE SIMs for.

Some carriers don't issue LTE SIMs unless people specifically need one.

Saileshbreaker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
I already have a 4G capable sim-card from my carrier but still only a 3G toggle switch is present not LTE.

----------

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

According to Apple support page for LTE, the A1429 GSM model supports EE LTE network in UK. Is this the network you have?
I'm not in the UK. The country i am right now LTE bands is 1800mhz & 2100mhz, so the model A1429 should work without any problem

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
I already have a 4G capable sim-card from my carrier but still only a 3G toggle switch is present not LTE.

----------

I'm not in the UK. The country i am right now LTE bands is 1800mhz & 2100mhz, so the model A1429 should work without any problem

did you update the APN to that carrier? not sure what else it could be

Saileshbreaker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
The Iphone 5 is not officially launched here. The apple supported carrier is Orange but still no LTE option despite it being the official iPhone carrier

Saileshbreaker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
My carrier over here does not put any restriction on the use of data services (3G/LTE) , you can buy a prepay sim card and use 3G/LTE straight away, the activation is done just by sending a text to the carrier, i have contacted my carrier and they informed me that LTE is already enabled on my account

vbtwo31984

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
In the US, I could not use my iPhone 4 SIM with an LTE phone to get LTE. I would only get 3G service and got an SMS from AT&T to call them to switch to an LTE plan. After calling them, they said I should go to a store and get a new SIM card from them, so the SIM card does matter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.