Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jun 17, 2013, 03:50 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Eddy Cue Offers Tidbits On Jobs' Involvement with iBooks

In Apple's ongoing antitrust case with the Department of Justice, Apple's SVP of internet software and services Eddy Cue once again took the stand today, where he revealed several small tidbits about Steve Jobs and the launch of iBooks.

According to AllThingsD, Cue told the court that Jobs was highly involved in the creation of Apple's iBookstore, coming up with several of the features found in the app.
Quote:
- The "page curls" in the iBook app, which show up when you flip an iBook's page? That's Steve Jobs's idea.

- It was Jobs's idea to pick ""Winnie-the-Pooh" as the freebie book that came with every iBook app. Not just because Jobs liked the book, Cue said, but because it showed off iBook's capabilities: "It had beautiful color drawings, that had never been seen before in a digital book."

- Jobs was also specific about the book he used to show off the iBook during his initial iPad demo in January 2010. He picked Ted Kennedy's "True Compass" memoir, because the Kennedy family "meant a lot to him," Cue said.
Over the course of the trial, the Department of Justice has argued that Apple colluded with book publishers to drive up the cost of e-books while Apple maintains its innocence. The DOJ has seen several weak links in its case over the course of the last week, after Apple refuted a partially composed email and a DOJ-called Google exec offered questionable testimony. Closing arguments for the trial are set for Thursday.

Article Link: Eddy Cue Offers Tidbits On Jobs' Involvement with iBooks
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 03:53 PM   #2
Eminemdrdre00
macrumors 6502a

I wonder if those page curls will go away when iBooks gets updated for iOS 7? There were some things about the old skeuomorphism designs that didn't bother me as much as most people. That was one of them.
16GB iPad Air
Eminemdrdre00 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:14 PM   #3
roland.g
macrumors 603

^^ agreed. Not everything that makes it look realistic is "bad".
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:27 PM   #4
nagromme
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminemdrdre00 View Post
I wonder if those page curls will go away when iBooks gets updated for iOS 7? There were some things about the old skeuomorphism designs that didn't bother me as much as most people. That was one of them.
The effect is familiar, iconic, and everyone expects it in all ereaders. It's also optional already. I expect it to stay.

Same for the GarageBand instruments; menus/chrome may change, but a lot of the UI should stay looking like an instrument.
nagromme is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:46 PM   #5
roland.g
macrumors 603

I guess the real question is what will happen to the wooden bookshelf?
Old Jun 17, 2013, 05:06 PM   #6
Mohammad Ridwan
Banned

Angry

I hope Jony Ive doesn't ******* this app up too...
Page curl is my favorite feature of iBooks.

Last edited by Mohammad Ridwan; Jun 17, 2013 at 05:11 PM.
Mohammad Ridwan is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 05:16 PM   #7
TimTheEnchanter
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland.g View Post
I guess the real question is what will happen to the wooden bookshelf?
Jonathan already bought a new one from IKEA.
RIP: too many Macs to list...AppleII-PMG5
TimTheEnchanter is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 06:10 PM   #8
PlanetExp
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminemdrdre00 View Post
It's gonna slide if anything. There was some references to sliding pages in other apps in the demos.
PlanetExp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 06:40 PM   #9
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Darn, I was hoping for some large tidbits.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 07:44 PM   #10
kas23
macrumors 603

The Kennedy family "meant a lot" to him? Really? The Kennedy family's just the 60's version of Real Housewives of New Jersey.
kas23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 01:24 AM   #11
BigBeast
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
The Kennedy family "meant a lot" to him? Really? The Kennedy family's just the 60's version of Real Housewives of New Jersey.
Such a contemptuous comment coming from someone (you) that I'm sure hasn't contributed to society as much many of the Kennedy's have. What makes you worthy of making such a comment, or is it just another case of haters gon' hate? Either way, stay classy.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 07:55 AM   #12
kas23
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeast View Post
Such a contemptuous comment coming from someone (you) that I'm sure hasn't contributed to society as much many of the Kennedy's have. What makes you worthy of making such a comment, or is it just another case of haters gon' hate? Either way, stay classy.
I'm a physician. How many lives have the Kennedy's saved?

And if you're going to say the Kennedy's policies touched millions of lives, by that same logic could be said for Dick Cheney. Well, at least he didn't personally murder (Skakel), drown (Ted Kennedy) or rape (William Kennedy Smith) someone.

Got anymore personal attacks up your sleeve? Seems to be your only way or forming an argument.

Last edited by kas23; Jun 18, 2013 at 08:17 AM.
kas23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 08:48 AM   #13
Drunken Master
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohammad Ridwan View Post
I hope Jony Ive doesn't ******* this app up too...
Page curl is my favorite feature of iBooks.
Hush, child.
Drunken Master is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion